Page: 1

Cambridge, Palace, Her Majesty's and New London have been Sold!

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
http://www.whatsonstage.com/news/theatre/london/E8831288199090/Lloyd+Webber+Sells+Four+West+End+Theatres+to+Grade.html

So what does this mean for the shows in them? Could this finally be the end of Chicago? I can imagine if any of the shows would be booted for something new, it would be Chicago.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Even if 'Chicago' got evicted from The Cambridge Theatre and that is only hearsay because the venue has just been taken over, I would expect 'Chicago' to go into one of the smaller houses, as it is very cheap to produce.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The ownership of London theatres have changed once again with RUG, Delfont Mackintosh, ATG, Nederlander, Waley-Cohen, Stage Entertainment and now GradeLinnit. I think ALW will eventually sell all his theatres and have RUG as a producer and licensee.

lotiloti Profile Photolotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Isn't The Commitments going into the Cambridge ?
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wouldn't Chicago work well at The Playhouse?
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Michael Grade deal to buy 4 Really Useful theatres has fallen through. Palace, Her Majesty’s, Cambridge + New London stay with Lloyd Webber.

From WOS Twitter.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From reading the WOS Article [http://www.whatsonstage.com/news/theatre/london/E8831292108294/Lloyd+Webber+Keeps+Theatres,+Deal+Collapses.html] it seems logical that the deal that is mentioned would be the producers of Chicago and RUG. I had read the new owners would want a new show at the Cambridge but looks like that won't be happening now.
philitalia2
Swing
Swing
Actually, it pleases me. Michael Grade is a good businessman, but still a businessman. These theatres need to be in the hands of someone who has his heart in the theatre and is not only interested in profits. If ALW really wants to sell I wish he do so to eg. Delfont Mackintosh.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I reckon the four theatres or maybe Really Useful Theatres will be sold off eventually, they will work out the clause in the contract, no way would RUG turn down £50m although I reckon if GradeLinnit sweeten the deal to maybe £55-60m, RUG will accept the offer.

I think Cameron wanted the Drury Lane, the Palladium isn't going to be sold just yet and I imagine they is a lot of interest in the Adelphi especially from Nederlander.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tosser, what a clueless t**t!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am surprised that Nederlander haven't put a counter bid, just to give themself more muscle in the West End.