Page: 1

One Month Back - One Week Forwarde

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One Month Back - One Week Forwarde#1
Posted: 10/24/10 at 9:04am
Apoligies, I have not done this for a while, as most of you know I have been on holiday in The Maldives, so have not been here to do this.

Feel free to post the shows you have seen in the last month, or going to this week?

For my birthday at the end of last month, I took friends up to see 'Avenue Q', as it was a group booking I managed to get tickets for 25. I know the show is excellent, so I knew I love it, but all my friends and relations found 'Avenue Q' funny as well and had a good time.

Before i went on holiday, I checked out 'Passion', which was good, however I found the book a bit twee, but the music was good.

This Friday I was on late turn, so most performances I could not do, as they start at 7:30, but tried to get a ticket for 'Avenue Q' from TKTS, they had none, then tried again at the box office, the cheapest ticket they had was 55, so gave this one a wide berth, looks like I have to see this now on tour.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One Month Back - One Week Forwarde#2
Posted: 10/24/10 at 10:17am
This past month has been so so busy for me.

Since the start of October I have seen -

Departure Lounge
Closer than Ever
Caroline O'Connor: The Showgirl Within
Sweet Charity
Avenue Q
Danton's Death
Love Never Dies
Or You Could Kiss Me
Tomorrow Morning
Onassis
Deathtrap

Nothing the rest of this month, but November is looking very busy!
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One Month Back - One Week Forwarde#2
Posted: 10/24/10 at 11:13am
I'm going to see Love Never Dies on Wednesday :)
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
One Month Back - One Week Forwarde#3
Posted: 10/24/10 at 4:44pm
Not seen that much, by my standards at least, this past month:

Krapp's Last Tape: Not really my sort of thing, to be honest, though Michael Gambon's performance was brilliant. I liked the beginning and ending best. Not so keen on the bits on the middle. And yes, I know I sound like a philistine.

Design for Living: Fantastic! Mostly because of the impossibly wonderful Andrew Scott, but I enjoyed the play a lot more than I was expecting to as well.

House of Games: zzzzzzzz, very predictable, though good acting from everyone. Not sure why the Almeida bothered putting this on.

Henry IV Parts 1 and 2: Final performances of the Globe season. Just perfect.

Hamlet: Superb lead performance from Rory Kinnear (who I've never been a big fan of in the past) more than makes up for a slightly unimaginative production and some of the weaker supporting performances.

...but making up for it in the month to come:

Faust - Young Vic
Blood and Gifts - NT
Punk Rock - Oxford
Broken Glass - Tricycle
Or You Could Kiss Me - NT
Blithe Spirit - Bath
The Glass Menagerie - Young Vic
Love, Love, Love - Bath
War Horse (2nd time) - West End
Passion - Donmar
Design for Living (2nd time) - Old Vic

Worryingly, I also have to work, eat and maybe even sleep in that time!
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One Month Back - One Week Forwarde#4
Posted: 10/25/10 at 3:31am
Marius, I agree with you about Andrew Scott in Design For Living - he stole the show. But who didn't you like in Hamlet? I didn't see any weak links in the cast.

I'll be interested in your take on Broken Glass - I found it pitch perfect.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
One Month Back - One Week Forwarde#5
Posted: 10/25/10 at 9:25am
October was quite quiet;

Alvin Ailey Dance (Cardiff)Amazing dance, particularly the Gospel music finale and the solo piece In/Side. Wonderful performances frustrated by too many intervals-including 5 minute pauses there were 4 which made things feel stilted.

Also saw John Barrowman in concert and it was well...John Barrowman! if you love him you'd love it if you hate him stay well clear! Jodie Prenger in his guest and was in fine voice when I saw her-love hearing her really belt out some numbers!

Off to see Chess in just over a week, can't wait!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
One Month Back - One Week Forwarde#6
Posted: 10/25/10 at 10:13am
But who didn't you like in Hamlet? I didn't see any weak links in the cast.

I said "weaker" performances rather than "weak" - no-one was bad or anything, but I wasn't particularly keen on the actor playing Laertes, for instance. Also Polonius was a little under-powered, but I know David Calder has been unwell recently and I'm sure that's all it was, as he's an excellent actor.

I'm still not sure what I thought of the Claudius - I appreciated and understood what he was doing with the character, playing him as purely a cold and ruthless politician, but there were a few moments where I wouldn't have missed a little more humanity - in his confession scene, for instance, he just seemed slightly irked rather than anything stronger. I'm sure this was intentional and I can fully understand how the part could be interpreted that way, but as I said I'm not entirely sure it worked for me.

I know it's a cheapo Travelex production and in this case had to be designed to tour, but I was a bit disappointed with the set - the sightlines would be awful for people sitting in the side blocks, I imagine.

Overall though these were only very minor quibbles I had, it's absolutely worth seeing - unmissable, even - for Kinnear's performance. I also loved Clare Higgins's Gertrude, rather more wild than other recent ones. Right from the start, Gertrude seemed like the least mentally stable person on stage - it's entirely believable that she would do what she does.
Updated On: 10/25/10 at 10:13 AM
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One Month Back - One Week Forwarde#7
Posted: 10/25/10 at 1:01pm
I have heard others express misgivings about the Laertes but I thought he was fine. Ditto David Calder's Polonius/Gravedigger but I saw the show in previews so perhaps he was stronger then.

I also liked the way Patrick Malahide played Claudius and thought it perfectly consonant with the tenor of the production which I thought intriguing and, in many ways, revelatory.

We are in firm agreement on Rory Kinnear.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!