Page: 1

Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard

MusicalFan4
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#1
Posted: 10/20/10 at 7:10am
Tom Stoppard's 'spy thriller' Hapgood is being performed at the London Fringe from 16-20 November. In the lead up to the production the company are going to be releasing a series of interviews with the cast to find out more about their characters.

First up is Kevin Shen who plays CIA Wates in the espionage drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3aqFs1RXKg

There's also a rehearsal trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1_uQM8KUv0

The show runs from 16-20 November 2010 at the Bridewell Theatre and tickets are available from www.sedos.co.uk.
Updated On: 10/20/10 at 07:10 AM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#2
Posted: 10/20/10 at 7:17am
Love this play - love Stoppard in general. I saw the original West End production many years ago with Felicity Kendall, Roger Rees and Nigel Hawthorne - brilliant!

Unfortunately though I'll be in New York from the 16th to the 20th!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#2
Posted: 10/20/10 at 1:55pm
I stage managed this at the Aldwych! One of the most baffling times of my life- still is!
MusicalFan4
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#3
Posted: 10/21/10 at 5:52am
Wow - wasn't it Felicity Kendal, Nigel Hawthorne and Roger Rees? Must have been an amazing - if baffling - time!

Saw the Birmingham Rep production with Josie Lawrence a couple of years ago and remember thinking it was rather accessible, but perhaps I just shut out the science and locked onto the espionage angle!
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#4
Posted: 10/21/10 at 9:55am

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 10/21/10 at 09:55 AM
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#5
Posted: 10/21/10 at 10:00am
Every time I see this thread title, my head just fills with "Hapgood has no answers or suggestions / Only a lot of questions / We like questions!"

I know nothing about the play, but it sounds interesting from the Wiki page:

It is mainly about espionage, focusing on a British female spymaster (Hapgood) and her juggling of career and motherhood. The play also makes reference to quantum mechanics, including Niels Bohr's "The answer is the question interrogated"; Heisenberg's uncertainty principle; and the topological problem of the Seven Bridges of KŲnigsberg.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapgood

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#6
Posted: 10/21/10 at 11:25am
An amazing company and an amazing production. It struggled to get an audience after stunning reviews but it eventually broke even before closing, I think we got an 8 month run?????
MusicalFan4
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#7
Posted: 10/22/10 at 5:10am
Took me longer than it should have to get the quote - but now that I have I agree with you and can't get it out of my head. Think a listen to the CD is in order.
MusicalFan4
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#8
Posted: 10/25/10 at 9:01am
new chracter video released with "the charming, but dangerous M15 spy Ridley, played by Daniel Goad."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJ2x390FzY
MusicalFan4
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#9
Posted: 10/29/10 at 11:57am
Just read the following Stoppard quote and had to admit that it cheered me up no end!

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it would have changed the history of music... and of aviation"
MusicalFan4
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Hapgood - a spy thriller by Tom Stoppard#10
Posted: 11/18/10 at 6:47am
Saw the play on the opening night and would heartily recommend it to anyone - itís classy, slick and thereís some absolutely top rate acting form the entire cast. Whatís more, itís actually very funny and there are some acute one-liners.

As is usual with Stoppard there is a lot of science - which I have to admit to not fully understanding - but for once itís not essential to the enjoyment of the show as the there are some many plot twists (about twins, double agents and guinea pigs!) and espionage moments that it has a narrative momentum all of its own. In fact, I think itís one of the most accessible of all is plays and kept us discussing for ages in the bar afterwards!

The set was also very good and the use of projections on a movable cyc and the way the changing room trucks magically came together and then glided to the backstage was very impressive! Have seen many things at the Bridewell over the years and this was one of the most creative and ingenious uses of the space.

A very enjoyable production of a rarely seen Stoppard play - highly recommend for Stoppard fans and people who like a clever, beautifully scripted drama.