Page: 1

Stage Door Releases Original London Cast Recording of Mutiny!

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Stage Door are pleased to announce the debut CD release of the 1985 Original London Cast recording of 'Mutiny!' The musical was written and starred the iconic pop star David Essex and opened at London's Piccadilly Theatre in July 1985.

'Mutiny!' is the epic musical conceived and penned by David Essex with book and lyrics by Richard Crane, based on the historic Mutiny of The Bounty. The musical was originally recorded as a concept album in 1983 and would later produce the hit singles 'Tahiti' and 'Falling Angels Riding'. The show opened at London's Piccadilly Theatre in July 1985 and ran for over 500 performances, co-starring Frank Finlay and Sinitta.

To celebrate the shows 25th anniversary, the 1985 London cast recording makes its debut on CD, with all tracks digitally re-mastered from the master tapes.

This is funny considering we were just discussing this the other week!
someonelikeyou Profile Photosomeonelikeyou Profile Photo
someonelikeyou
Swing
Swing
Thanks for the update!I've just been on and pre-ordered my copy. I can't wait to hear John Cameron's orchestrations in full stereo sound. My LP hasn't worn well!

I always thought 'Mutiny!' has an incredible score - I didn't expect Essex to write something so theatrical. Those who haven't heard the score before I urge them to order this new CD and discover it for the first time. You won't be dissapointed!
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love Mutiny!, think it's a fantastic score.

Fortunately my LP still plays well!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ouch! I really dislike Mutiny! For me, it was the worst of all those dubios 80s and 90s clunkers- including King, Moby Dick and Metropolis. (For which I have all the cast recordings, of course!)
someonelikeyou
Swing
Swing
Oh I love a good 80s and 90s flop! I wish they would re-release 'Bernadette' with the extra vinyl 7" single as a bonus track!

However back to 'Mutiny!' - I think the score really had some magic. The big finale 'I'll Go No More A-Roving' is amazing. As I said, I can't wait to hear this in proper stereo sound from the master tape. Thank you Mr. Essex for making this available again!!!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm with you Dev but I saw each and every one of those wonderful 80s flops, most of them more than 2 or 3 times each.
'Mutiny' was the most boring of them all where as 'Metropolis' was the most spectacular- has there been a set that big in London since????

Is the Piccadilly lined up for another one next year with 'Ghost'?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Surely the big theatrical event of 1985 was Les MisÚrables??

:P
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Never saw this on stage (mainly because I've never much cared for David Essex's voice) and I've never heard a single song from the score. So I'd be interested in hearing this. But unfortunately there are other CDs at the moment I want to buy more urgently than this.

BTW - I do have a copy of the Metropolis recording - it's a mixed bag of some rather boring material and some really fantastic songs. But any recording with the amazing Judy Kuhn in the lead role is worth a listen.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bob, get Mutiny! It's a fantastically dramatic score.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes Bob, Judy Juhn is amazing. And who could resist Brian Blessed bellowing "the machines are beautiful".

Truly dire lyrics but some big epic musical theatre tunes!
someonelikeyou
Swing
Swing
I echo those sentiments - the score for 'Mutiny!' is brilliant - don't let thoughts of 'Gonna Make You A Star' and 'Hold Me Close' put you off! David Essex actually composed some very good melodies for 'Mutiny!' and John Cameron's orchestrations are sublime. Can't wait to get my copy on CD!

Page: 1