Page: 1

All Aboard for a trip On The Twentieth Century at the Union

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just read that there's going to be a production of the Cy Coleman/Betty Comden & Adolph Green musical On the Twentieth Century at the Union Theatre, opening on December 14.

LOVE Cy Coleman! LOVE Comden & Green! LOVE the Union theatre! So this has now become another "must see" for my planned pre-Christmas trip to London!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is delectable news!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How fab!
I saw the London production at Her Majesty's with Julia McKenzie etc in the lat 70s and it was an amazing production- pure Broadway!
Then, in the mid 90s the wonderful Bridewell Theatre did a tiny production of it with the simplest but the most effective staging that starred the amazing Kathryn Evans.
That production proved that bigger isn't always better so I see this future production could be a great and rare treat.
All Aboard for a trip On The Twentieth Century at the Union
Updated On: 10/9/10 at 07:25 PM
Cher
Understudy
Understudy

I actually have the very stylish 1978 Broadway Poster of this show directed by Harold Prince at the St James Theatre New York, with John Cullum, Madeline Kahn, Imogene Coca, and Kevin Kline.

I love it - and the colours have dictated the colour scheme in my bedroom!!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
An absolute favourite! Veronique and Babette- two great songs for female comic actresses!

Bless Madeline Khan! All reports are that she was a cow on this, but it was a legendary performance.
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
This a wonderful news.

A real gem of a musical. I too saw this in the 70's at Her Majesty's (yes there used to be other productions staged there before Phantom!).

The night I went I was honoured to have been invited back to Julia's dressing room and the fabulous Irene Handel was her guest. I also met Keith Michell, who was wonderfully over the top in this production as was Ann Beacham (?).

I am so pleased this is getting a long overdue airing.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One of my fav stories about this show concerns the overture!
The wonderful steam noises heard in the overture are actually a fire extinguisher being let off by the percussionist!

Updated On: 10/13/10 at 05:33 PM
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Please, Madeline Kahn was never a "cow". She was a wonderful woman as everyone who ever worked with her will attest but during this show she was going through a difficult period which involved severe stage fright - something that comes and goes with many actors. In the end she couldn't continue with the show and Judy Kaye, her understudy, took over. Thankfully her performance was preserved on the OBCR.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well Harold prince's account certainly makes her sound likea cow! Especially her comment after opening night that she'd never put that much effort in again! I don't know if there was a power struggle going on over casting, but Prince certainly gives the impression of prefering Judy Kaye.

It doesn't detract from the fact that she gave a legendary performance- and her early death robbed us of a mighty talent.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Harold Prince has his story. My source is a member of that long ago cast who tells it differently.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!