Page: 1

Sisters, Patina And Whoopi To Act On Broadway

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sisters, Patina And Whoopi To Act On Broadway
The Broadway production of Alan Menken's disco musical 'Sister Act' will open at New York's Broadway Theatre on April 20th 2011 with previews the end of March.
Jerry Zaks will direct what will be an almost replica of the London Palladium production.
Patina Miller will recreate her role that she has performed in London for the last 18 months and Whoppi Goldberg is expected to either open the show as the Mother Superior or join it after 3 months.
Goldberg has already completed 3 weeks in role at the London Palladium and is due to return to the role for a 5 performance run at the end of October.
Ticket sales went through the roof when it was announced she would appear live on stage. She, and the show, then got the reviews the producers had hoped for at its initial opening. Original reviews were luke warm at best.
Full casting and booking details expected in 4 weeks.
Updated On: 10/5/10 at 06:04 PM
fairygodmother Profile Photofairygodmother Profile Photo
fairygodmother
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I'm very excited about this news, but Mama, where are you getting some of your additional information from?
No casting has been announced, including whether Patina is involved or not - unless I've missed a press release. And did you hear Jerry Zak's Theater Wing interview re. Sister Act's production? He made it very clear that there are a lot of things he wants to readdress in the Broadway production. Actually, I can completely recommend that interview, he's a tough-talking guy but very interesting!
http://americantheatrewing.org/downstagecenter/detail/jerry_zaks
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its a press release from today.
It is widely know that he will rework a lot of what is on stage at the Palladium. Its a great show but needs changes for a Broadway audience.
fairygodmother
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
No, that's what I meant - your OP (is it direct cut and paste from the press release?) says 'Jerry Zaks will direct what will be an almost replica of the London Palladium production.' which we both agree isn't true! Yep, the show will do brilliantly with some tweaks, and as someone who has been brought in to do this for other shows, Zaks should be up for the challenge.

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had instructions to omit a few things but this is what I was faxed today.
Don't shoot the messenger! xxx
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Surely if it were an official PR they would spell Whoopi's name correctly and also by their very nature Press Releases are reported widely but there is nothing on Playbill and other sites about it. Also any PR I have had sent doesn't ask you to omit anything.
fairygodmother
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Well, exactly. I left a while cos I wanted to see if this quoted writing came from somewhere official, but... I'm sure it's not Mama making it up or changing thugs, it's whoever he's quoting. But please don't accuse me of having a go, shooting the messenger - I have an issue with the 'facts' not the opinions. Xxx