What happened at Passion?

mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#1
Posted: 10/3/10 at 6:29am
I understand that last night's performance was cancelled and that a cast member was "hurt" at the matinee performance. This info is third hand so is perhaps unreliable. Anyone know?
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What happened at Passion?#2
Posted: 10/3/10 at 7:22am
There's a thread on WOS

http://www.whatsonstage.com/board/index.php?showtopic=27544

..it seems to have been an accident with a gun

Updated On: 10/3/10 at 07:22 AM
Ugly Duckling
Stand-by
Stand-by
What happened at Passion?#2
Posted: 10/3/10 at 8:30am
The official information from the staff before the evening show was simply that they had to cancel the performance because one of the actors was injured. They couldn't say anything about Monday's performance at all.

Simon Bailey updated his twitter last night, saying "What a night, please everyone pray and keep good thoughts for my dear friend [...] we had an incident this eve, I won't divulge, but keep good thoughts for my friend please"

Someone then stated that they saw an actor with a bandaged eye being taken to the hospital, someone else said that there was a problem with one of the guns. It has been rumoured that it's either David Thaxton or David Birrell as they are the ones involved in the duel...
wiggy2687
Swing
Swing
What happened at Passion?#3
Posted: 10/3/10 at 12:48pm
Basically one of my friends was at the matinee performance of passion and he said(he didnt go into detail as i have not seen it yet and he didnt want to spoil it for me) that by the looks of things a safety cap or something on one of the guns hit said actor in the eye and it properly cut his eye open and there was blood and everything...the show did continue but said actor was taken straight offstage and sorted out before an ambulance was called. My friend said it was really bad to see,although you didnt see everything as the moment it happened people knew it was serious and took him straight off but according to my friend the looks on the other actors faces was total horror

I just hope said actor is ok.
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What happened at Passion?#4
Posted: 10/3/10 at 2:22pm
Update on the Donmar Website - http://www.donmarwarehouse.com/pl111.html

"During the matinee performance of Passion on Saturday David Birrell sustained an injury to his eye for which he is currently being treated in hospital. Our priorities are to David’s well being and recovery; and to theatregoers who have purchased tickets for performances in the coming days. We are cancelling the show Monday to Wednesday and then hope to resume performances from Thursday. We will of course refund patrons who are unable to see the production."
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#5
Posted: 10/3/10 at 6:42pm
They don't have understudy's at the Donmar.
GOD this takes me back to that awful afternoon when Ann Crumb nearly lost her foot on the set of 'Aspects Of Love' at the Prince Of Wales!
Nightmare!
pattifan2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#6
Posted: 10/3/10 at 6:54pm
Really shocking news.....particualarly sine I was at the matinee yesterday and didn't realise any of this particular drama was playing out.
...fragment of the day...
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
What happened at Passion?#7
Posted: 10/3/10 at 7:27pm
Hope David B is ok. He was a terrific Sweeney Todd in Dundee recently.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#8
Posted: 10/3/10 at 7:38pm
I hope he's OK and it hasn't caused lasting damage.

And, selfishly, I'm slightly disappointed, as I had a ticket for Wednesday and won't be able to make it up to London for the rest of the run.....

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What happened at Passion?#9
Posted: 10/4/10 at 8:08am
I also had a ticket for Wednesdays matinee and cannot attend any other performance.

GUTTED.

i do feel for the cast memeber involved though... but then one must pose the question - what sort of guns were they using to cause such asn accident??

"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
Ugly Duckling
Stand-by
Stand-by
What happened at Passion?#10
Posted: 10/4/10 at 9:07am
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23884569-actor-shot-on-stage-but-the-show-must-go-on.do
... bit of a dramatic headline. I mean, yes, it is horrible, but he wasn't exactly shot, was he? And it mentions a "blank-firing gun". It's such a shocking thing to happen, really.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#13
Posted: 10/4/10 at 9:41am
Oh good, the Daily Mail has an opinion. I was so hoping some quality journalism would arise out of Mr Birrell's misfortune.

Out of interest, does anyone here know why the Donmar doesn't do understudies? I assume it's for financial reasons, but that is only an assumption, so I'd be happy to hear the actual reason. :)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#14
Posted: 10/4/10 at 9:44am
Cost Weez, nothing but cost.
As you will know the budget they are on for each production is beyond tight and its a policy they have held there since the 80's.
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#15
Posted: 10/4/10 at 10:36am
Hope David recovers quickly. I as due to go this evening but its been cancelled and chances of getting new tickets are slim as the run is sold out What happened at Passion?
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#16
Posted: 10/4/10 at 10:39am
What happened to Ann Crumb, Mama?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#17
Posted: 10/4/10 at 10:45am
The set of 'Aspects' for the original production had moving platforms at the front of the set (travelators). In the very last minutes of a Saturday matinee her foot caught in the machinery. It took her with it for about 3 or 4 feet and then the stage management stopped the show -this all happened in a very fast blackout for a scene change. The show was stopped completely with the orchestra stopped too and all that could be heard was her utter screams of pain in the total silence of a full house!. There were a few members of audience who left the theatre in tears due to the shear horror of hearing her scream, I'll never forget it.
She was hospitalized for nearly 2 months and her treatment lasted many months after.
She didn't return to the London production (tho she did return many times to the theatre to say hi to us all and spend many times backstage during a show!), her next appearance was when she opened the show on Broadway a year later.
I saw her in New York when she was preparing to do the show 'Bingo' and she said that it still haunts her today.
Updated On: 10/4/10 at 10:45 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#18
Posted: 10/4/10 at 12:10pm
How awful! All best wishes to the poor fellow!

On the subject of near-misses, there's the famous story of Barbara Cook's near decapitation in 'Carrie' at Stratford!
Ugly Duckling
Stand-by
Stand-by
What happened at Passion?#19
Posted: 10/4/10 at 12:17pm
They have updated the Donmar/Passion website with good news:
"Following initial inquiries into the accident at the theatre on Saturday night, it appears that during the duel scene in Passion, David Birrell’s licensed replica stage gun mis-fired causing some debris to enter his eye. We are, as a matter of priority, carrying out further investigations into the incident. David is recovering well in hospital and is in good spirits."

And apparently they are thinking of adding some extra matinees/Sunday performances to make up for the cancelled shows. They are definitely planning on continuing the run on Thursday.
Updated On: 10/4/10 at 12:17 PM
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#20
Posted: 10/4/10 at 12:24pm
devonian.t, what happened to Barbara Cook?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#21
Posted: 10/4/10 at 12:36pm

The Donmar Warehouse has just revealed that it is carrying out investigations into an onstage accident involving a prop gun that left an actor hospitalised with an eye injury.
David Birrell, who plays the role of Colonel Ricci in the Donmar’s production of 'Passion', sustained the injury during the Saturday matinee performance and was taken to hospital.
He was injured when a replica stage gun misfired and debris was shot into his eye. Following the accident, the Donmar cancelled all performances of the show until Thursday.
A spokesperson has now confirmed that an investigation has been launched into the incident.
The spokesperson explained: “Following initial inquiries into the accident at the theatre on Saturday, it appears that during the duel scene in 'Passion', David Birrell’s licensed replica stage gun mis-fired causing some debris to enter his eye.
“We are, as a matter of priority, carrying out further investigations into the incident. David is recovering well in hospital and is in good spirits. In addition to investigating the matter, our priorities at this time are to David’s well being and recovery, and to theatregoers who have purchased tickets for performances in the coming days. We are cancelling the show Monday to Wednesday and will resume performances from Thursday. We will of course refund patrons who are unable to see the production.”

The incident follows a similar accident at the Royal Shakespeare Company in April, when Darrell D’Silva sustained a “serious injury to his hand from the mechanism of a prop firearm” during technical rehearsals for Antony and Cleopatra in Stratford Upon Avon.
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#22
Posted: 10/4/10 at 4:14pm
I felt a sense of deja vous today when the performance was cancelled as the only time it has happened to me before, and I think for a similar reason, was at the Donmar quite a few years ago.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened at Passion?#23
Posted: 10/7/10 at 5:39pm
Was it back on tonight? I really hope everything gets back on track soon if it wasn't!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Ugly Duckling
Stand-by
Stand-by
What happened at Passion?#24
Posted: 10/7/10 at 5:55pm
Yes, it was. David Birrell wasn't back, though, although I believe that I overheard a member of staff saying that he was making a good and quick recovery. Ross Dawes took over as Colonel Ricci and did an admirable, fantastic job. I'm not sure who covered his track as I didn't buy a programme, they had notes in them that stated it, but whoever it was, he was great. It can't have been easy for anyone.
By the way, they took down the poster/photo of Thaxton's Giorgio during the duel (with the gun) that was outside and replaced it with one of him and Elena Roger, and they don't fire the guns anymore, there is a sound effect.
The performance tonight was amazing, Thaxton and Roger commanded the stage emotionally and vocally. The audience truly seemed to love it.