Page: 1

Would That be a Large One Sir

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would That be a Large One Sir#1
Posted: 9/30/10 at 4:15am
What are the rules to taking drinks into a theatre? I mean all types of drinks such as alcohol, bottled water and coffee, does the drinks have to be bought in the theatre?
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would That be a Large One Sir#2
Posted: 9/30/10 at 4:33am
I always take my own drinks in, or I just ask for a free iced water at the bar. I just refuse the pay the stupid prices. I take either a bottle of fizzy drink, or a bottle of water.

My friend and me took some cans of lager into Spring Awakening that were left over from the night before. Weren't gonna chuck them were we :P.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would That be a Large One Sir#2
Posted: 9/30/10 at 4:50am
I think rules tend to vary from theatre to theatre. I personally think NO drinks should be allowed inside the auditorium. I have had so many instances of people beside me or in front of me waving their elbows blocking my view as they constantly take a swig of their drink and have even had a drink literally spilled all over me - so I absolutely HATE it when a theatre allows drinks to be taken into the auditorium. It's only an hour or so - surely people can manage that long without dying of thirst and be more considerate to other audience members.
Okay - rant over. LOL
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would That be a Large One Sir#3
Posted: 9/30/10 at 5:37am
Probably helps to be more lenient in cold season though. I'd rather have my view temporarily blocked by a bottle of water than my ears constantly blocked by coughing, spluttering, and all sorts of horrible noises.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would That be a Large One Sir#4
Posted: 9/30/10 at 6:07am
I would have thought a lozenge was better treatment for a cough etc than a drink. I would accept bottled drinks up to a point but I vehemently argue that drinks in open glasses should NEVER be allowed. But I know I'm fighting a losing battle as theatres are more concerned about making a few extra bucks selling drinks than in protecting people from drink spillage.

I guess it's me being old-fashioned lol. When I go to the theatre all I want to do is enjoy the show/play. I would never want to be swigging a drink as I become totally engrossed in the piece I'm watching, which is probaly why I get so annoyed when someone distracts me by swigging a drink sitting next to me. I never drink anything in the cinema either for the same reason though drinks have been commonplace there for years.

I also can't understand why anyone would pay the extortionate prices they charge in theatre bars - if I want a drink, I'll wait till I get out after the show and get one half the price!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would That be a Large One Sir#5
Posted: 9/30/10 at 6:16am
Yes, but sometimes returning for the second act requires a drink.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would That be a Large One Sir#6
Posted: 9/30/10 at 6:20am
lol mallardo! I know what you mean - I could have done with a whole bottle of vodka before going back in to act 2 of Love Never Dies. And I actually was not able to face going back in to act 2 of mamma Mia - maybe I should have had a drink and used dutch courage to go back in.
Updated On: 9/30/10 at 06:20 AM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would That be a Large One Sir#7
Posted: 9/30/10 at 11:52am
I always have a large one - both acts & interval!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would That be a Large One Sir#8
Posted: 9/30/10 at 3:02pm
yes, Mama - but do you have a drink as well? lol
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would That be a Large One Sir#9
Posted: 9/30/10 at 3:21pm
Now, now keep it clean for the young ones, like Mark and Conaries on here.

I have taken Nero coffee into the theatre, as I don't want to throw away 3/4 of a cup, but stash it in my rucksack, as I know security would refuse me entry to the show, however if I went into the auditorium with a bottle of water not bought at he theatre, would/could security refuse me entry with the water?