Page: 1

Changes to US Production of Priscilla

wheety1621
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#1
Posted: 9/25/10 at 3:24pm
Just been looking at the rehearsals photos here on Broadwayworld of Priscilla noticed the set list for Priscilla and there are some song changes (from what I can remember):

Act 1
Opening number is no longer 'Downtown' and is now 'Its Raining Men'
They've cut 'I've never been to me'
'Venus' has been replaced with 'Material Girl'
'Both Sides Now' has been replaced with 'True Colours'

Act 2
'Kylie Medley' has been replaced with 'Like a Virgin'

What are people's thoughts? I knew they'd change the 'Kylie' references to Madonna... will be interesting to see =)
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#2
Posted: 9/25/10 at 3:34pm
Shame. I love I've never been to me.
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#2
Posted: 9/25/10 at 3:52pm
Quite nice changes, especially for a US audience!
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#3
Posted: 9/25/10 at 4:50pm
i think the maddonna thing is obv a good idea.

I've never been to me is a shame because its iconic and the song is great. its also a shame about True colours being put in as I love the harmonies in both sides now

Nethertheless it makes me more determined to see it! I hope they do a cast recording!
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
TheatreFan4 Profile PhotoTheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#4
Posted: 9/25/10 at 6:55pm
Ahh poo! I like Venus.
"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#5
Posted: 9/25/10 at 8:52pm
I'm gutted they replaced Downtown and Both Sides Now but I'm guessing they wanted songs which are more known to US audiences, I liked Venus but Material Girl will just as well. Cutting I've Never Been to Me is interesting because I like the song but it doesn't add to the story.

Wonder if some songs will be restored before the NY run as it wouldn't surprise if they bring back Downtown if It's Raining Men doesn't work as a show opener/
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#6
Posted: 9/25/10 at 10:14pm
Some changes are simply because the rights (to use the songs) could not be obtained for the U.S.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#7
Posted: 9/26/10 at 5:49am
I think it's a shame to lose the Kylie, given it's an australian show.
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#8
Posted: 9/26/10 at 3:47pm
it is but then the kylie thing wasn't in the original film
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#9
Posted: 9/26/10 at 4:41pm
IMO the song 'I've never been to me' is the best song from the show.
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#10
Posted: 9/26/10 at 10:59pm
I thought 'Both Sides Now' was one of the emotional highlights of the entire show, but 'True Colours' has such personal resonance for me that I can't wait to see how it's incorporated and what the audience reaction will be.

I'm not that upset at the loss of 'I've Never Been To Me' and I look forward to 'It's Raining Men' and 'Material Girl' because both are more recognisable to US audiences.

And, barring future developments, I'm really chuffed that 'Don't Leve Me This Way' is still there. Changes to US Production of Priscilla
Seen some shows in my time....
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#11
Posted: 9/27/10 at 11:13am
Shame that Both Sides Now has been cut as that works so well, but I guess changes were inevitable to appeal to a North American audience. Will reserve judgement until I see it next year on Broadway
Updated On: 9/27/10 at 11:13 AM
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#12
Posted: 11/7/10 at 4:50pm
Got my tickets for the Broadway production next May Changes to US Production of Priscilla The principles had better be in it especially Tony Sheldon. Can't wait to see him again Changes to US Production of Priscilla)
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Changes to US Production of Priscilla#13
Posted: 11/8/10 at 5:34pm
Awww gutting! I saw it last week in London, freeking loved it! Most fun I've ever had at the theatre. I've Never Been to Me and Downtown were both highlights for me; it's a shame about the Kylie stuff too, I mean I loved Adam's Kylie tou shirt in his first scene! But in the original movie, it was actually ABBA references, who aren't Australian.
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II