Page: 1

Week in Theatre

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week in Theatre#1
Posted: 9/5/10 at 4:28pm
What have you seen in the last week of going to see this week?
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week in Theatre#2
Posted: 9/5/10 at 4:37pm
Friday evening I saw In The Woods in the spectacular setting of Regents Park, probably the best theatre to house this show, I really enjoyed it. Great performance from Hannah Waddingham and Jenna Russell.
soundofnuns Profile Photosoundofnuns Profile Photo
soundofnuns
Understudy
Understudy
Week in Theatre#2
Posted: 9/5/10 at 4:49pm
Sister Act on Tuesday 31st
HAIR closing yesterday
Pirates of Penzance Tuesday
Fame next Saturday
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week in Theatre#3
Posted: 9/5/10 at 4:49pm
Blimey, was EVERYONE at Into the Woods on Friday? I was there too, and I seem to have been sitting next to someone from WhatsOnStage as well. XD Fantastic production, I loved EVERYTHING about it with my whole heart! <3

I also saw As You Like It at the RSC on Wednesday (and can now confidently say the Globe production was the best recent production of the play, but the RSC did have the best Jaques, and the Bridge Project still had the best music), and The Prince of Homburg and The Comedy of Errors yesterday. Contrary to most people, I really enjoyed Homburg, although the new ending really is rubbish. And The Comedy of Errors is a pretty weak play, but the Globe touring production was fantastic. Once the scene-setting was over and the comedy kicked in, it was just freakin' hilarious right until the very very end. :3

Probably nothing planned for the next week, but I still can't guarantee I won't crack and investigate Welcome to Thebes next weekend. I'm also going for Deathtrap soon, although that's more likely to be the week after next. :3
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week in Theatre#4
Posted: 9/5/10 at 4:50pm
The Prince of Homburg, Donmar: This one didn't really work for me. I enjoyed the second half a lot more than the first, aside from the silly new ending. It was well-produced and well-acted, just not particularly well-written - I'd blame Dennis Kelly for this rather than Kleist, since despite a fascinating story and some interesting characters, what let it down was the dull, uninspired dialogue. I know I'm in the minority on this, by the way, lots of people seemed to like it.

Deathtrap, Noel Coward: Pure fun. A clever play expertly produced - exactly the sort of thing that should be on in the West End. There is absolutely nothing special or remarkable about Jonathan Groff's perfectly adequate performance, but Simon Russell Beale is a delight as Sidney - so natural you don't even notice he's acting - and the play is great fun, exciting and hilarious often at the same time.

As You Like It, RSC: Not one of my favourite Shakespeare plays but a very enjoyable production with excellent central performances from Katy Stephens and the sweetly, adorably Irish Jonjo O'Neill (proving his versatility following his camp, insane Irishness in Romeo and Juliet). Richard Katz doesn't quite manage the impossible in making Touchstone hilarious, but he was very amusing at times, and Forbes Masson was marvelous as Jaques. Great work, too, from Stratford legend Geoffrey Freshwater who was wonderfully touching as Corin as well as doing a fine job understudying another role at the performance I saw.

Shirley Valentine: Meera Syal is stunningly good in Willy Russell's famous one-woman play which I was until last week completely unfamiliar with. It's one of the only one-(wo)man shows I've seen that actually feels like a play rather than some kind of "talk" - you don't even really think about the fact that there are no other characters since her descriptions of them are so vivid. Some reviews suggested that Syal is perhaps a little too middle-class for the role, and I suppose she is, but she was so brilliant I really didn't mind. The play itself is hilarious and incredibly moving in places.

Educating Rita: I only knew this from the film, which I really don't like (I hate Michael Caine quite irrationally), so I was slightly surprised by just how much I enjoyed this - not quite as much as Shirley Valentine, but not far off. Again, the play benefits from focusing only on the central characters and leaving everyone else and the characters' lives outside the room to our imaginations. Tim Pigott-Smith is terrific as Frank and Laura Dos Santos is completely convincing as Rita - it's not a "star" performance in the way that Julie Walters's was, but in many ways that's a good thing - the play really feels like a two-hander, with equal focus on both of the characters. I went to the WOS outing which included a fun Q&A with the cast after the show. I've only ever seen Tim Pigott-Smith play utterly vile people before, so it was a little bit of a surprise, albeit a pleasant one, to find that he's charming and funny in real life. Week in Theatre

Deathtrap and the Willy Russells are definitely worth seeing if you get the chance, and there are loads of discounts available for the latter pair.

Next week I'm taking it easy with only one: The Merry Wives of Windsor at the Globe. Looking forward to it very much.
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week in Theatre#5
Posted: 9/5/10 at 4:54pm
Well, Weez and I are both claiming to be in the minority in terms of Homburg opinions, despite disagreeing. I suspect one of us has some kind of inferiority complex? The one being me, obviously.
Updated On: 9/5/10 at 04:54 PM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week in Theatre#6
Posted: 9/5/10 at 4:58pm
Wait there, I'm going to go and count opinions on WOS to find out which of us is actually the minority. Week in Theatre

EDIT: actually, yays and nays seem to be fairly well-balanced. No one really liked the ending, but about half enjoyed it anyway while the other half didn't really care. No minorities anywhere to be seen! O_O I particularly like how our opinions appear to be the same, it's just our enjoyment levels that are different. XD

I got Geoffrey Freshwater doing the Corin/Adam double-act too. He is definitely one of the finer Geoffreys in the world! :3 That's the first time I've ever seen a rabbit skinned onstage! (I believe you've not seen the Globe As You Like It? That one *did* actually have a brilliant Touchstone, although unfortunately it seemed like they decided to balance it out with a less than satisfying Jaques. Ah well...)
Updated On: 9/5/10 at 04:58 PM
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week in Theatre#7
Posted: 9/5/10 at 5:37pm
I saw Remains of the Day at the Union.

Eh.
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week in Theatre#8
Posted: 9/5/10 at 7:05pm
I haven't been Week in Theatre My theatre buddy has moved to America...BUT I get to visit her in October! I've never been, and Legally Blonde is there when I am apparently, so that's all exciting :)
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week in Theatre#9
Posted: 9/6/10 at 4:16am
Deathtrap - such good fun.
Hair - great apart from the obnoxious audience (seriously climbing over the seats and shreiking and thundering down the stairs during the quietest part of the show).
Daniel Boys - his links were much funnier than expected, really good show.
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week in Theatre#10
Posted: 9/6/10 at 5:20am
Weez: No, I didn't see the Globe's As You Like It, much to my regret. I plan to get the DVD soon, though, looking forward to seeing it.

And yes, the rabbit-skinning was very impressive, it got a round of applause when I saw it.

By the way, did you know that Richard Katz's Touchstone hair is his own, not a wig?
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week in Theatre#11
Posted: 9/6/10 at 6:29am
I've been absent from London for the past 3 weeks and ready to get back!

Just before this past week, I was very lucky and got to see 8 shows in New York - American Idiot, Addams Family, Promises, Promises, Memphis, In the Heights, A Little Night Music, next to normal and Rock of Ages - An incredible 5 nights!

Tonight I am seeing Chess in Newcastle before heading back down to London for Uni. Top shows to see are Deathtrap/Shirley Valentine.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week in Theatre#12
Posted: 9/6/10 at 6:59am
I liked the ending to POH - so there.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!