How Do You Spell D.O.M.N.A.R - W.A.R.E.H.O.U.S.E

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Tony Award-winning Broadway musical The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee will receive its UK premiere at the Donmar Warehouse in February. The musical will be the first production in the Donmar’s newly announced season for the first half of 2011.

Following King Lear, which runs from 7 December 2010 to 5 February 2011 (previews from 3 December) before a regional tour, the first new production at the Donmar in the new year will be The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, running from 21 February to 2 April 2010 (previews from 11 February). The UK premiere is directed by Donmar associate director Jamie Lloyd, whose revival of Sondheim’s Passion opens at the Donmar later this month, and designed by Christopher Oram.

The musical comedy - in which tensions and emotions are running high in a contest with a place in the national finals at stake - is conceived by Rebecca Feldmann, has music and lyrics by William Finn and a book by Rachel Sheinkin and additional material by Jay Reiss. After opening Off-Broadway, it transferred in 2005 to Broadway, where it ran for three years and won the Tony for Best Book of a Musical.

Updated On: 2/22/11 at 06:08 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow Where did this news come from? Did I expect to hear this not. A brilliant musical I saw in New York, should work a treat in London at the Domnar and when this transfers to a bigger house.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A brilliantly clever show that will be perfect at the Donmar but as good a sit is I cant see it transfering to the West End - great if it does tho.
It could be another 'Avenue Q' - very American but works in the UK!
Updated On: 9/3/10 at 06:13 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 9/3/10 at 06:13 AM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fantastic news! This is a GREAT show. Saw it twice in New York. William Finn is one of the few composer/lyricists writing for musical theatre who can genuinely be described as a "genius".

I'll have to sort out when I can get to London early next year pretty soon and get my ticket booked as I think this will sell out fast.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Unless it can go into a small space like the Venue (is that even still open..not been in there since Taboo) I can't imagine this working in a big house.

Part of the charm of the original staging was that size and being in a high school gym. Still it toured the States so guess it can be adapted.

Any idea on casting already?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can see this transferring,I am not a fan of American humour but found this really funny, I would earmark The Trafalgar Studio for this, small and intimate.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love this show, and i can see it transfering to a small house and enjoying a good run
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
This is the perfect Marriage of show and space..... glad its here and not the Choco Factory! :) Yay!!! Great news
algy Profile Photoalgy Profile Photo
algy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Didn't get a chance to see this when I went to NY - so pleased to hear it's coming over.

All we need now is for someone to produce Altar Boyz...
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's a lot lighter in tone compared to most Donmar productions but I'm booking for it anyway as I've wanted this show to come to London for ages.

This is the second musical that the Donmar are doing this season after Passion, Michael Grandage doesn't have any snobbery towards musicals unlike Nick Hytner at the National although they are showing Fela!
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Indeed. I have zero interest in seeing Fela! as what I have seen really isn't my cup of tea. Such a shame as we used to get some great revivals of classic musicals at the NT.

musicalfan3 Profile Photomusicalfan3 Profile Photo
musicalfan3
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Can't wait for this! One of my favourite musicals finally coming to London! Will be my first trip to the Donmar as well. I have to ask, if this likely to be first time the set at the Donmar hasn't been black, blue or brown? From pictures, quite a lot of their productions use one of those colour schemes!
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Terrific news.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Donmar is perfect for Spelling Bee because it is a thrust stage. The only other venue where it would have worked is The Cottesloe Theatre.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MrKringas,
The Venue closed not long after 'Taboo' closed.
It is now the Leicester Square Theatre and has been very busy with some great shows since it opened.
Worth checking out!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved this show in New York- I was so ill that I almost didn't go to the show, but my hotel was literally across the street so I just managed to stagger in.

The characters are so involving that you don't want any of them to be eliminated- I just hope the UK production lives up to the highly polished New York show!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is incredible news. Couldn't be more excited.

Wasn't Matthew Morrison in talks for a Donmar production - http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/28843/exclusive-glees-morrison-in-talks-over
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hope they do the occasional uncensored performance of Spelling Bee as they did in NY. Guest stars would be given obscene words to spell - the use of the words in a sentence was particularly funny and would usually make some reference to the guest.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
*bing!* I'm sorry, the correct spelling is D.O.N.M.A.R.W.A.R.E.H.O.U.S.E. How Do You Spell D.O.M.N.A.R - W.A.R.E.H.O.U.S.E

musicalfan - Prince of Homberg was a delightful shade of grey. Although this one has Christopher Oram designing, so there's a good chance... it'll end up looking a lot like a lot of other Donmar Warehouse productions! How Do You Spell D.O.M.N.A.R - W.A.R.E.H.O.U.S.E (Actually, if you want colour, there's always Red...)
Updated On: 9/4/10 at 07:26 PM
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
This goes straight onto my must-see list - I absoultely loved it when I saw it in New York. Any other casting speculation/rumours aside from Matthew Morrison?

*Loving the fact that the thread title spells DONMAR incorrectly - deliberately??*
Seen some shows in my time....
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unless he's playing WAY against type, there is no role for Matthew Morrison in this show.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So slightly at a tangent: who is your favourite competitor at the Spelling Bee?

For me, it's Logan.
musicalfan3 Profile Photomusicalfan3 Profile Photo
musicalfan3
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Absolutely Logainne SchwartzandGrubenierre! Sarah Saltzberg should have gotten more recognition for that performance! Olive is second, but her character is blessed with the two best songs: The I Love You Song, and Second which I think is a genius bit of writing!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
*Loving the fact that the thread title spells DONMAR incorrectly - deliberately??*

It took me a while to get the thread title.

But obviously not as long as it took Weez. How Do You Spell D.O.M.N.A.R - W.A.R.E.H.O.U.S.E