Sondheim at the Albert Hall

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#1
Posted: 7/31/10 at 5:09pm
Though many will disagree, I'm sure, the concert for me is patchy, poorly programmed, unimaginative in its selection and staged very clumsily.

Big disappointment.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#2
Posted: 7/31/10 at 6:16pm
Let me be the first to disagree. It was sen-f**king-sational. Every number was beyond stunning - what performances! And in an evening of absolute superlatives, my personal favourite was Julian Ovendon's Being Alive. Wow! Wow! Wow! I recorded it and now can;t wait to watch it again!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 7/31/10 at 06:16 PM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#2
Posted: 7/31/10 at 6:29pm
I disagree also. This wasn't a concert to satisfy theatre junkies, it was to honour a great man while also being a fitting inclusion to the proms season. I don't remember the last time I sobbed so hard, and who can resist those orchestrations being played by that orchestra? I laughed, I cried, I squealed with delight like a child in an Enid Blyton book, and I'd watch the whole thing again in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pack to go on holiday.

Did you go to Sweeney Todd in Concert at the RFH? Now *there* was a Sondheim concert that was brimming with potential but sadly thwarted; performers were excellent, orchestra was great, acoustics were SHOCKING. D:

Personal highlights of the Sondheim prom: everything from Sunday in the Park with George! That was my first show as a regular independent theatre-goer, and I was absolutely ecstatic to see Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell together again, especially with such a fantastic orchestra behind them. <3 <3 <3
Updated On: 7/31/10 at 06:29 PM
Hulmeman Profile PhotoHulmeman Profile Photo
Hulmeman
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#3
Posted: 7/31/10 at 6:34pm
Oh dear devonian.t, I cannot disagree with you more. I thought the programming, the perfomances and the presentation were a wonderful and fitting tribute to a wonderful man.

With some of the less accessable Sondhiem music played, I'd be interested to read why you thought it unimaginative. If I were the friend of yours involved in "Sunday",I'd be well pi**ed off with your remarks. That was worth my licence fee this year alone.

I enjoyed every single last moment of this prom.

Updated On: 7/31/10 at 06:34 PM
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#4
Posted: 7/31/10 at 6:48pm
Add me to the disagreers. I thought it was a onderful evening. I loved the choice of numbers and it certainly wasn't a safe choice. I though the staging was fine given the limitations of getting people on and off that stage, limited rehearsal time,etc. It looked great - especially the organ at the start of the Sweeney selection.
And very moving.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#5
Posted: 7/31/10 at 6:52pm
Judi still knows how to sell that song. Amazing!!

Updated On: 7/31/10 at 06:52 PM
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#6
Posted: 7/31/10 at 7:01pm
It's Judi with an i not Judy with a y,It's as simple as can be,see Judi.

Only joking but so many people get it wrong. She was terrific and looking great too.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#7
Posted: 7/31/10 at 7:32pm
I have nothing to add that hasn't been said already...I thought it was absolutely phenomenal, especially the Sweeney Todd section.

I loved the interview with the man himself in the interval too. In terms of speaking in interviews, and generally his speaking voice, I swear the man hasn't aged in 40 years...
A Little Priest
Swing
Swing
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#8
Posted: 7/31/10 at 8:43pm
Damn, I forgot that the interview would be played in the interval.

As for the concert itself, I have nothing to say. Well, nothing that's not been said. Said by everyone other than devonian.t.

What made it even more special for me was that I was sat a few metres away from Sondheim, so I got to watch his reactions.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#9
Posted: 7/31/10 at 8:54pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00td8g6/BBC_Proms_2010_Sondheims_80th_Birthday_Celebration/

For anyone in the UK who missed it or wants to see it again. Doesn't seem to be available yet, but the website suggests it'll be available in due course. :3
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#10
Posted: 7/31/10 at 8:55pm
:O

Oh my goodness, I am so jealous.

Actually, I don't think I could cope with being a few metres away from him!
A Little Priest
Swing
Swing
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#11
Posted: 7/31/10 at 10:05pm
I'm definitely going to have to watch the recording, as I spent much of the prom staring intently at Mr Sondheim. xD

I still can't believe my luck. I was wondering where he'd be sitting, and scanning the other side of the hall for anyone who looked like him, when I realised he had just taken an aisle seat below and to the left of me.
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#12
Posted: 8/1/10 at 12:12am
I'm listening to the BBC radio recording and it appears to cut before A Weekend in the Country in part 1, then jumps to Sweeney Todd in part 2 :S? guh

"Itís the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#13
Posted: 8/1/10 at 6:19am
First things first: a revival of the NT production of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" with Simon Russell Beale in the lead. Now, please.

I really wanted to go, but I think I might have actually fainted or at least started dribbling uncontrollably had I been there, so probably better that I was at home watching it on TV. Sondheim at the Albert Hall

I have to (slightly) disagree about Julian Ovenden - I thought he was a bit nasal. The highlight for me was "Our Time". I was a complete wreck from there through to the end. Though I thought for a second Sondheim was going to fall down the stairs!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#14
Posted: 8/1/10 at 6:27am
I forget about The Sondheim Prom being on, also I had a couple of friends on, just as well by chance I flicked over to BBC2 at 9pm, to see this just starting, I never moved so fast to hit record on my Sky plus, so look forward to watching this soon.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#15
Posted: 8/1/10 at 8:19am
I had a friend over for dinner, and we made a night out of it!

I thought with that cast and ensemble though, the opening of Company would have sounded great.
theeatah Profile Phototheeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#16
Posted: 8/1/10 at 12:37pm
I loved it. The highlights for me were Jenna Russell (she reminded me of Victoria Wood, with a much better voice Sondheim at the Albert Hall & Daniel Evans, and Maria Friedman & Bryn Terfel.

Sad to say, I found Judi Dench's performance a disappointment. I wonder if I'd feel that if I hadn't seen Hey! Mr Producer, but it seemed to me she was "marking it" emotionally.

What are the chances that it might be released on DVD? I notice that they still haven't released the MGM Musicals Prom despite saying that its DVD release was under consideration. I HAVE to have a copy of the Sondheim Proms concert!?

I was surprised that Sondheim had never been to the Alber Hall before.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#17
Posted: 8/1/10 at 1:07pm
It's been released on DVD in my living room LOL. Just burned a DVD off my hard-drive DVD recorder. And I think I'll be viewing it pretty often!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
peachesr
Stand-by
Stand-by
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#18
Posted: 8/1/10 at 1:10pm
I thought the whole thing was wonderful. Can't fault it, I agree there needs to be a Simon Russell Beale 'Forum revival. If that version of Sunday towards the end with those orchestrations, the chorus and Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell failed to move you, you're not human!
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#19
Posted: 8/1/10 at 1:33pm
Theeatah - The MGM proms was released on DVD three weeks ago
A Little Priest
Swing
Swing
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#20
Posted: 8/1/10 at 3:21pm
I've got it on DVD too, and on my iPod. Unfortunately the quality isn't very good as my digibox only recorded half of the concert so I had to download it from iPlayer, but it'll do. Fingers crossed for an official DVD release...
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#21
Posted: 8/1/10 at 3:27pm
Just been sent a copy of it, cant wait to hear!
Fridge.
Snackettes.
Ice.
Gin.
Tonic.
Volume!
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#22
Posted: 8/1/10 at 3:39pm
Haha Mama! Enjoy!!
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#23
Posted: 8/1/10 at 4:23pm
There was also a birthday celebration concert for Sondheim in Chicago at Ravinia and it seems a lot of people were not happy. Reports are that the show lasted about 65 minutes.

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/the_theater_loop/2010/08/sondheim-at-ravinia-anger-on-the-north-shore-at-truncated-brithday-celebration.html
Just give the world Love.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sondheim at the Albert Hall#24
Posted: 8/1/10 at 4:31pm
I LOVED IT!

Superb concert, performers and song list.

These things can be really hit and miss, but this a big hit.

I hope it gets released on DVD

I couldn't pick a highlight, I enjoyed it all thoroughly.