Page: 1

The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#1
Posted: 7/30/10 at 2:30am
As been mentioned on here about Amanda Holden getting the role of Fiona, but I think the real story is, she might be joined by Nigel Lindsay as the Shrek and nigel Harmen being tipped to play Lord Farquaad?

Amanda Holden has won the fairy-tale prize of the lead role as Princess Fiona in the stage musical Shrek, proving she's got plenty of talent of her own.

Ms Holden, who is a household name as a judge on Britain's Got Talent, will start rehearsals in the spring.
The actress won over the directors and producers of the show, which will preview.

It is hoped her grumpy green giant of a lover will be played by Nigel Lindsay, a gifted actor who has worked extensively in TV, films and on stage, including playing Nathan Detroit in Michael Grandage's production of Guys and Dolls.
Mr Lindsay is in the early stages of negotiations, although at the moment it's by no means a given that the role will go to him. I understand, though, that he is the front runner.

Nigel Harman, who was Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls, is in preliminary discussions to play the diminutive despot Lord Farquaad, but once again, the deal is far from being done.
This page, in fact, was the first to report that Amanda was in the running to be Princess Fiona. She has now reached agreement, but hasn't formally signed on the dotted line.

Richard Blackwood, the comic actor, will definitely play Donkey, the part created on screen in the Shrek movies by Eddie Murphy.
Amanda had hot competition for the role of Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz voices the character in the movies), but her acting, singing and dancing convinced the audition panel - consisting of joint directors Rob Ashford and Jason Moore and executives from DreamWorks Theatricals and Neal Street Productions - that she should have the role.
She and Sshford worked together on the stage musical Thoroughly Modern Millie, which Ashford choreographed.

Another link was Jeanine Tesori, who composed the scores for both Thoroughly Modern Millie and Shrek.
In the seven years since Millie, Amanda has become a headline celebrity thanks to the TV drama Cutting It and as a judge with those rascals Simon Cowell and Piers Morgan on the highly popular Britain's Got Talent.

Shrek will sell a ton of seats on the strength of her name when bookings open in October.
Few, however, realise Amanda started her career on the stage. She certainly knows how to sing and kick up her heels.
Shrek, superbly designed by Tim Hatley, didn't fare too well on Broadway, but the show was put back together from scratch for a touring production. It just opened in Chicago and, by all accounts, is a hit over there

DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#2
Posted: 7/30/10 at 3:37am
Regardless of talent, aren't they casting this show with all the wrong ages? Amanda Holden doesn't exactly play early 20s on stage any more, Shrek is supposed to be pretty naive under the gruff exterior (haven't the Chicago reviews stated that the tour casting plays up his youth for the better?), and Nigel Harman's the same age as both of them!

At least we know they can all sing.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#2
Posted: 7/30/10 at 3:46am
Yawn!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#3
Posted: 7/30/10 at 4:07am
i was really looking foward to this show but that is some of the most uninspiring casting i've seen in a very long time. Surely Ashford has worked with much more talented people than Holden, and if he hasn't i think its time he went out into the West End and checked out our talent!!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#4
Posted: 7/30/10 at 4:19am
Totally agree Sam... shameful casting really. Not all that shocking though The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#5
Posted: 7/30/10 at 4:26am
I could have put up with Amanda to see Nigel Harman but Richard Blackwood aswell ugh.
One to miss.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#6
Posted: 7/30/10 at 4:29am
"Amanda Holden doesn't exactly play early 20s on stage any more

Judging from the song "I Know it's today" then Fiona should be at least 30 years old, not 20's. Sutton Foster was playing the role at 34.
carriesparkle
Stand-by
Stand-by
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#7
Posted: 7/30/10 at 5:23am
Have no problem with Holden age-wise - yes, Fiona is supposed to be early 30s if I Know It's Today is anything to go by.

I do however have a problem with the fact that her performance in Millie was one of the worst I have ever seen.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#8
Posted: 7/30/10 at 6:12am
Superb casting - for this show. Think about it.

This is showBUSINESS!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#9
Posted: 7/30/10 at 6:17am
Bothered!
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#10
Posted: 7/30/10 at 6:19am
I confess - I have a soft spot for Ms Holden and actually enjoyed her Millie... I think she'll do well in this role and it will be great to see her back in the West End.

I hope the rest of the cast are contracted more suitably however!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#11
Posted: 7/30/10 at 6:29am
I am not a Amanda Holden fan, I think it was horrible how she dumped her husband Les Dennis.

However for the producers to pick her, she must of done a blinding audition, as I guess bigger names auditioned. I can understand punters paying 65 to see Whoopi Goldberg, but would anyone really pay that much money to see Amanda?
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#12
Posted: 7/30/10 at 9:02am
Amanda, thanks to BGT, is probably a much bigger pull than Whoopi.

Plus Shrek opens May... BGT 2011 will be transmiting then too, meaning huge coverage of Shrek The Musical. Producers dream.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#13
Posted: 7/30/10 at 9:12am
This show is so dreadful I don't think it matters who they cast in it. LOL
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#14
Posted: 7/30/10 at 9:35am
Such a state and shameless casting

I wont be watching
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#15
Posted: 7/30/10 at 12:37pm
Good example ^/^^ of a double negative!!!
kc2 Profile Photokc2 Profile Photo
kc2
Understudy
Understudy
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#16
Posted: 7/30/10 at 2:57pm
Ick
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#17
Posted: 7/30/10 at 3:22pm
Given the reactions to Amanda Holden's casting on here (replicated on other theatre forums I've seen), you have to wonder just how big a draw she would be? I don't know anyone who claims to like her, let alone anyone who would pay good money to see her in anything!
Seen some shows in my time....
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#18
Posted: 8/3/10 at 6:52pm
Yeah, this casting seems to have attracted a huge backlash with the theatre crowds.
Everything in life...is only for now.
philitalia Profile Photophilitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#19
Posted: 8/4/10 at 3:50am
Shrek, an enormous flop on Broadway is coming to Drury Lane - and that's something to be excited about ?
Amanda Holden is not a bad actress, at one stage it even looked as if she could have a nice career in theatre, but she's TOOOOO OLD to play Fiona. She's not even able to move the muscles in her face.

The West End is in a pitiful state !
pinkyboy Profile Photopinkyboy Profile Photo
pinkyboy
Stand-by
Stand-by
The Princess of the Swamp is Amanda#20
Posted: 8/10/10 at 8:11am
I don't think it matters if she was cast, I was thinking about seeing this, but after watching clips, I couldn't care less. The only people going to see this will be little kids, and they probably don't know who Amanda Holden is...