Page: 1

Come Flies Away

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#1
Posted: 7/28/10 at 5:33pm
The curse of the Marquis, strikes again, what's going to flop next; Sister Act? Priscilla? Catch Me if You Can?

Since the Marquis opened since 1986, with the British smash hit 'Me and My Girl', it has hosted a string of flops except for The Drowsy Chaperone, so a true theatre to rival 'The Hilton'.

The Tony Award-nominated musical Come Fly Away, which sets the songs of late crooner Frank Sinatra to the choreography of Twyla Tharp, will close Sept. 5 at the Marriot Marquis Theatre. A national tour is planned.

Following Tony Award nominations for Best Choreography and Best Featured Actress (Karine Plantadit), producers released tickets through 2011; however, box office sales failed to take flight.

Come Fly Away began previews March 1 and officially opened March 25. The musical will have played 26 previews and 187 regular performances. A national tour is being planned to launch in May 2011 in Chicago.

The musical landed in New York following a bow at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta last fall. The New York Times praised the regional debut.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#2
Posted: 7/28/10 at 6:05pm
That thread title does not belong on a family friendly board!!!!!!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#2
Posted: 7/28/10 at 6:30pm
POL - the closing news does not really surprise me. As you know, I was not even remotely interested in seeing CFWM when I was in New York back in March - it just seemed a rather pointless show to me. Clearly most people seem to have felt the same and it never really attracted an audience.

Mama - your mind is awful LOL.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#3
Posted: 7/28/10 at 6:34pm
It was a limited season anyways.

I saw it and thought it absolutely delightful.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#4
Posted: 7/28/10 at 6:43pm
I'm sure it was delightful to watch, mama. Where I lost it was the fact that it had recordings of Sinatra singing - albeit wioth a live orchestra. I love Sinatra but I just could not see the point in paying Broadway prices to listen to what I can play on my CD player. It all just seemed a show totally contrived with purely commercial intent and no real artistic raison d'etre.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#5
Posted: 7/28/10 at 6:50pm
I had no interest in seeing this too, I optioned it, but did not make the cut, think I opted to see Sondheim on Sondheim, I am not at all disappointed, this show does not even figure in my next trip in November, now I am definitely not going to see this.

As a avid reader of Broadway Grosses, I have noticed since 'Come Fly Away' has been playing, there has be a tad drop in the grosses for 'The Jersey Boys', I wonder in September if this will go back upto its normal 100%
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#6
Posted: 7/28/10 at 7:30pm
LOVE this thread title. Come Flies Away
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#7
Posted: 7/28/10 at 8:41pm
As a former dancer i was very intrested in seeing this, from the clips i saw the choreography looked brilliant and their performance on the Tony Awards was a highlight for me
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#8
Posted: 7/29/10 at 9:26am
It seems though from looking at the grosses that they were refusing to become accessible and offer discounts, as the Average ticket price remained very high throughout.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#9
Posted: 7/29/10 at 11:53am
I agree Mark, the average price was very high, although every show has been available at TKT's for 50% off, so this suggests that half the audience is paying full price and the other 10 are using the discount booth.

Mark your post urged me to look at the website linked below, essential website for anyone who plans to see a lot of shows in New York tactilely.

http://www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp

Just found out from the said website that Jersey Boys has gone on sale for the first time for a modest 20% off at tkts.

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#10
Posted: 7/29/10 at 12:05pm
Now that is a half price booth! Nothing like the crappy discounts the TKTS booth in London has been offering recently.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#11
Posted: 7/29/10 at 12:52pm
I saw it May and it was nowhere near even half full.
We commented at the time that we couldn't remember the last time I saw a Broadway theatre empty- maybe 'Sideshow', 14/15 years ago???

Such a great show and as I said before a damn sight better than that rubbish Sinatra show at the Palladium 4 years ago
Updated On: 7/29/10 at 12:52 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#12
Posted: 7/29/10 at 2:05pm
The show got great reviews, but thought the theatre size was wrong, I also thought this show relies on visual spectacle, so wouldn't CFA be better off opening in Vegas instead?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come Flies Away#13
Posted: 7/29/10 at 2:08pm
Perfect for Vegas, yes. It certainly wasn't out of place on Broadway though.