Page: 1

Love Story-The Musical. Duchess Theatre Nov 2010

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Story-The Musical. Duchess Theatre Nov 2010

The Chichester Festival Theatre musical production of 'Love Story', will transfer to the West End.

Duchess Theatre., London
Opening 6th Dec 2010.
Previews from 27th Nov
Limited Season to 26th Feb 2011.

Casting to be confirmed!

Inspired by Erich Segalís novel.
Music by Howard Goodall.
Book by Stephen Clark.
Lyrics by Stephen Clark and Howard Goodall.

Directed by Rachel Kavanaugh.
Designed by Peter McKintosh .

Produced in the West End by Michael Ball, Adam Spiegel and Stephen Waley-Cohen.

Oliver Barrett IV went to Harvard and Jenny Cavilleri to Radcliffe.
He was rich, she was poor.
He was sporty, she played music.
But they fell in love.
This is their story.
Updated On: 7/23/10 at 06:00 AM
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Rather expensive for a 90-minute show that will presumably not have star names in the lead roles. If you get premium seats (i.e. if you have more money than sense) that's nearly £1 per minute.

I've heard good things about the musical but I genuinely loathe the film so I'll wait to see if (or rather when) there are any good discounts.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am sure I heard the marvellous Emma William's was attached to this musical, or have I got this confused with another show?

Love Story is going to be playing a very small theatre with less than 80 shows, so guess this will be a very mimalist show.

I will be going, but not going to pay a lot of money for a ticket.

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, Emma Williams was announced as Jenny a while ago. I will certainly go and see this as I love Emma Williams and I am always keen to try out new work. My only worry is my memory of the movie which was sentimentality laid on with a trowel lol.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Love Story is going to be playing a very small theatre with less than 80 shows, so guess this will be a very mimalist show.

I will be going, but not going to pay a lot of money for a ticket."

so are you not paying a lot of money because it's a 90 minute show, in a small theatre, with minimilist sets/costume/band etc? This is why shows like this don't spring up often enough, and why shows like The Fantasticks close prematurely.

A show is a show at the end of the day, i'd much rather pay £60 to see a small intimate show, that was 'minimal' and blindly good, than £60 extravaganza with all the big sets/costumes and not much heart/substance. Gimme a Donmar production over a Broadway song and dance show any day.

I don't mean to sound like i'm having a go, but we all complain on here about the big blockbusters taking over and no new shows springing up, we can't have it both ways....just my two cents.

im looking foward to this....love love love Emma Williams
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'll be going too but can't see myself paying more than £20 a ticket. I'll wait for Student Standby/Dayseats or just go in the back of the circle.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Won't be as good as what it was an The Meniver... don't know how they are going to re-work the set.

I understand why they have billed it as a limited booking to make sure the right audience get in. I'm so sure this will take off...
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Just to clarify, my comment wasn't meant as a criticism at all, I was just speculating that I think they'll struggle to sell this sort of show at those sort of prices.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"so are you not paying a lot of money because it's a 90 minute show, in a small theatre, with minimilist sets/costume/band etc? This is why shows like this don't spring up often enough, and why shows like The Fantasticks close prematurely.

A show is a show at the end of the day, i'd much rather pay £60 to see a small intimate show, that was 'minimal' and blindly good, than £60 extravaganza with all the big sets/costumes and not much heart/substance. Gimme a Donmar production over a Broadway song and dance show any day."

It is very rare I pay full price for a show, typically a couple of show in the West End and the same again for Broadway, I am more than happy to taker a discount for bigger shows too, my love of theatre is reflected by not how much I pay, but how many times I go, paying for discounts tickets enables me to do the latter much more.

I try and get the best possible seats for a reasonable prize.

Updated On: 7/23/10 at 01:34 PM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm an equal opportunities ticket buyer; I try and spend approximately the same price on all my tickets and get very cross when I REALLY REALLY want to see a production but can't get a ticket for approximately my ideal price (we'll call it £15; I spend more when I need to, I spend less when I can). Cheapest ticket for £26? That's very optimistic of them, and significantly out of my idealised budget (which isn't just me being whimsical, it is me not paying prices I cannot afford), so I really can't go see it if there aren't discounts. I guess it's just an endless vicious circle.

I do wish the production the best and will definitely be there if I can afford it. Support new musicals in the West End!
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm an equal opportunities ticket buyer; I try and spend approximately the same price on all my tickets...

I don't have the self-control to do that! I just try and average it out - because I've seen The Habit of Art, After the Dance, The White Guard, Spring Storm and London Assurance for £5 each this year, I can afford to splash out on a stupidly expensive West End show every now and then. Doesn't really make sense, but that's how I justify it to myself. Love Story-The Musical. Duchess Theatre Nov 2010 I do really like to have good seats, though, and there are very few things that I want to see so badly that I'd go for a restricted view balcony seat if that's all there is that's reasonably-priced.
Updated On: 7/23/10 at 02:02 PM
Rosa2
Swing
Swing

I see Peter McKintosh is the designer.
I have worked with him and also seen other things he has designed. His work in minimalist, but very well thought out, with attention to small details.
He is very keen on lighting and the placement of each individual light is critical. I am a great admirer.
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
He's done some great designs - the set for Prick Up Your Ears was one of the best things about that production, nothing like as simple as it first appeared (the "re-decoration" was done so subtly I didn't even notice it happening) but very realistic and got the period and setting spot on.
Updated On: 7/23/10 at 04:19 PM
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I LOVED the design for Prick up your Ears. Infact, I LOVED Prick up Your Ears in general, such a good play.

But yes, the design was fab, and the reveal at the end was very cleverly done.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Marius I agree with your first comment- you pay to see a show not the minutes you sit in the bloody seat!
'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
Lovely show, Emma Williams and Michael Xavier were perfect for the roles, hope they both tranfer with it. The 90 min, no interval thing worked really well. Never been in the Duchess Theatre, so it's hard to imagine how it's going to physically look in there but I am really looking forward to seeing the show again.
aka Ria
Updated On: 7/24/10 at 02:20 AM
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Emma/Michael will both be transferring with it according to the Nimax Website.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It wasn't clear midweek if the original cast were to go to London.

The Duchess, for those who don't know it, is a very small conventional pros arch house.
Updated On: 7/24/10 at 05:52 AM
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Season extended to April 30th! Well, that is when tickets can be booked until on the Ambassadors ticket website.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Really hope this turns out to be a great new show - the West End sure needs one.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Ugly Duckling
Stand-by
Stand-by
I agree that I don't like the movie at all but am intrigued by the musical because people are saying such good things about it. As long as it doesn't include a song called "Love means never having to say you're sorry" I'll give it a try, I think. Do you think the original cast is staying for the extended season or will others take over at some point?
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
so are you not paying a lot of money because it's a 90 minute show, in a small theatre, with minimilist sets/costume/band etc? This is why shows like this don't spring up often enough, and why shows like The Fantasticks close prematurely

Maybe if smaller shows were priced more appropriately they would attract larger audiences? I know it's not as simple as that, but tickets prices do play a large part in the decision of the average 'floating audience member' to see a show or not. It seemed to work for Avenue Q...

Having said that - I'm very very tempted by the show; I'm not a fan of the movie either, but a combination of Howard Goodall and Emma Williams might be too much to resist. But at those prices I'm holding off to see if deals become available.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."