Flop Of The Day

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#1
Posted: 7/15/10 at 1:53pm
When doing chores etc in the few hours I have spare daily, I very often like to put on a good old flop musical to play. (Or by the pool)
Sometimes this can be the first time I will play a certain show or again it can be one I just cant play enough.

Do you have any that you just like to play. Im sure we all play the hits etc most days but do you have a fav flop that you just cant get enough of?

Today its 'Lautrec'
Earlier it was' Barmitvah Boy'
Yesterday was 'Grand Hotel'

Updated On: 7/15/10 at 01:53 PM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#2
Posted: 7/15/10 at 2:28pm
Bad Girls is always worth a listen to I think. Never got to see it live but the DVD is great and I think it was very underestimated.

I also love listening to Imagine This.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#2
Posted: 7/15/10 at 2:48pm
Love Barmitzvah Boy! Wonderful Jule Styne/Don Black score. Have not heard Lautrec. And Grand Hotel is an awesome score and an awesome show all round - not sure it could be classed as an out and out flop though.

Never got to see Bad Girls but have heard the CD and there are some good songs there. Imagine This has a few songs with stunning music but the memory of having seen the ridiculously corny show puts me off listening to the CD anymore. I can't listen to it without falling about laughing.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
twinbelters Profile Phototwinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#3
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:07pm
The Broadway staging of Grand Hotel was a hit. Can't speak to any West End staging. I love listening to Passion Flower Hotel and Moby Dick while house cleaning. Was Maggie May a flop? I listen to that often as well. I listen to flops more than hits, actually. There are more of them for one, but often they are more interesting to listen to.
With Irma you gotta do something!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#4
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:12pm
Bad Girls, brilliant understated musical

And Carrie off Course, i have the 2009 workshop recording of the 'new' Carrie and can't stop listening to it
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
philly03 Profile Photophilly03 Profile Photo
philly03
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#5
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:28pm
My favourite West End flop is Napoleon! Some sweeping music in there!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#6
Posted: 7/15/10 at 6:30pm
Yes, there are some amazing songs in the Carrie score. Some of my fav flop scores that I love to listen to are Steel Pier, The Baker's Wife (Stephen Schwartz's best ever score IMO) and the infamous "closed after one night" classic Dance A Little Closer (which has some quite stunningly beautiful songs).
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#7
Posted: 7/15/10 at 7:23pm
I'm listening to 'Do I hear a Waltz?' as I type!

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#8
Posted: 7/15/10 at 9:03pm
'Grand Hotel' ticked along on Broadway OK (barely 200 people the night i saw it 7 months into the run!) but was ripped apart in London for its cheapness in the staging of it..
The Donmar staging was a pretty good production.
Its a flip flop to me! lol

I most certainly listen to flops more than 'normal' recordings.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Flop Of The Day#9
Posted: 7/16/10 at 4:20am
I love Rags. This a great score,and one thats perfect for me when i do my housework. Christ, i'm turning into my mother
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#10
Posted: 7/16/10 at 5:05am
Thanks Paul! Now I dont have to choose todays CD - its 'Rags'!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#11
Posted: 7/16/10 at 5:32am
There are spectacular highs and lows in Rags, but Blame It On The Summer Night is one of my favourites. Three Sunny Rooms is also very funny. Plus the recording features Larry Kert- a treasure!

My all-time favourite flops have to be She Loves Me, (I saw it so many times in London!) and The Baker's Wife. The London double album is such a complete experience, you feel like you've had the whole show.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#12
Posted: 7/16/10 at 5:53am
I adore She Loves Me too but I don't think of it as a flop. The original Broadway production ran for a year and was nominated for the Best Musical Tony and both the New York and London revivals in the 90s ran for over a year, the London show winning a number of Olivier Awards, including Best Musical Revival. Also, the original Broadway show was successful enough to launch the career of Hal Prince as a director.

And thanks for reminding me about Rags (how could I forget such a stunning score?! Children of the Wind in particular is awesome) - one of many flops with music by Charles Strouse (and just about all of them have brilliant scores).
Updated On: 7/16/10 at 05:53 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#13
Posted: 7/16/10 at 6:00am
I suppose it depends if your playing a Broadway recoding or West End recording as to weather your playing a flop or not!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#14
Posted: 7/16/10 at 6:20am
Definitely London. No one can beat Tracie Bennett's Ilona!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#15
Posted: 7/16/10 at 8:51am
and i apply that to all shows!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#16
Posted: 7/16/10 at 3:12pm
"There are spectacular highs and lows in Rags, but Blame It On The Summer Night is one of my favourites."

Agreed. And also agreeing with Bob that Children of the Wind is another stunning song from that score.

Love The Bakers Wife too. But have to say I prefer the limited American recording to the London cast. I know there's no love lost for Miss Patti on this board but, c'mon, The Director's Wife is one dimensional.

The first thing that came into my head when I saw this thread was The Grand Tour: I think Mr Herman put his rejects from this score into La Cage Aux Folles.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#17
Posted: 7/16/10 at 3:32pm
Ooh, controversial! From now on, your are labelled with the Patti mark of shame!
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#18
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:04am
Marguerite. It sounds so much better than it played. Some truly ravishing songs.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#19
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:11am
I agree - Legrand's music for Margueritte is really beautiful and powerful. Unfortunately the stilted book and the horrifically trite lyrics spoiled an otherwise superb score.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#20
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:12am
Maladro I totally agree. it does grind a little at times buy I certainly can listen to it all the way thru.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#21
Posted: 7/18/10 at 9:10pm
I am in the minority of 1 on here that thinks 'Marguerite' was quite fantastic on all levels.

But hey could we add 'Finans Rainbow' to the list?

bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#22
Posted: 7/19/10 at 3:50am
It's usually me that's in a majority of one LOL. But seriously, Marguerritte did have a lot going for it and I did enjoy the show. But I felt so frustrated that Legrand's beautiful score deserved so much better from the writing, which was more than a little bit corny with characters so wooden it was like walking through a forestry. There's a link to the review I wrote after seeing the show below.

Btw - Finian's Rainbow is not really a flop show. The recent revival did not fare very well I know - but the original show back in 1947 was very much a hit and there was a successful film version in the 60s.

Margueritte Broadwayworld review
Updated On: 7/19/10 at 03:50 AM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#23
Posted: 7/19/10 at 12:58pm
I love listening to Goldilocks, Do Re Mi, The Rothschilds and On the Twentieth Century (which contains one of Broadway's greatest Overtures).

Some other faves:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Paint Your Wagon
Candide
Take Me Along
Walking Happy
Plain and Fancy
Flahooley
Jekyll and Hyde
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Little Me (OBC)
I Had a Ball
Subyways are for Sleeping
All American
It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman!
Flora, the Red Menace
Ilya Darling
Zorba
Canterbury Tales
Mack and Mabel
The Rink
The Human Comedy
Mystery of Edwin Drood
Romance/Romance
Chess
Legs Diamond
Into the Woods
Aspects of Love
The Secret Garden
Passion
Ragtime
High Society
Parade
Marie Christine
Wild Party (LaChiusa)
Jane Eyre
Bombay Dreams
Caroline, or Change
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
High Fidelity
Curtains
Pirate Queen
Legally Blonde
Xanadu
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flop Of The Day#24
Posted: 7/19/10 at 7:06pm
Gosh, I remember 'Lautrec'. I only saw it because I got comped. It was one of the best-looking shows ever, especially to anyone familiar with the artist's work. Sadly the music, lyrics and dialogue let it down badly, if only it had been the on-stage equivalent of a silent movie.