Page: 1

Baz - Friday Column

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#1
Posted: 7/1/10 at 8:37pm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1291362/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Outnumbereds-Daniel-Roche-just-boy-play-William-Brown.html

Legally Blonde the musical is still running at the Savoy and Jennifer Ellison is in 'talks and talks' about taking over the lead role when Sheridan Smith leaves the show in the autumn.
Ms Ellison, currently touring in Calendar girls, is likely to be in Legally Blonde sometime in September or October.

Emma Williams and Michael Xavier, who are expected to repeat their roles when the musical version of Love Story transfers to the West End in the autumn.
They played the roles Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'neal made famous in the 1970 movie, although the stage show is based more on Erich Segal's novel.
The musical, from a score by Howard Goodall and book and lyrics by Stephen Clark, just ended its run in Chichester.
Even my hard-to-please colleague Quentin Letts was won over by it and Rachel Kavanaugh's direction.
And as Adam Spiegel, who is producing the transfer with Stephen Waley-Cohen, noted: 'The show made converts of folk who disliked the movie.'
He added: 'it's an iconic title around the world,' and he's hoping Love Story will travel further.
He and his colleagues are in talks for a theatre of, say, 1,000 seats. Meanwhile, Love Story's creative team continue to work on refining the show.
...Rafe Spall who has joined Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess in the romantic film One Day, which begins shooting here in the UK soon.
The film, based on David Nicholls's novel, is about college friends (Hathaway and Sturgess) and their relationship over two decades.
Spall plays one of Hathaway's boyfriends.
The picture is being directed by lone Scherfig, who did such superlative work on an education.
Madonna, who has quietly started rehearsing her cast and shooting her film W.E., a parallel love story about Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII and a contemporary romance involving a woman called Wally.
Andrea Riseborough (who's also in never Let Me Go) and Abbie Cornish play the two central women.
Oscar Isaac, Richard Coyle and James D'arcy also star. Judy Parfitt portrays Queen Mary with Geoffrey Palmer as Stanley Baldwin.
Don't be scared. Ghost is on its way...
Creative brains behind the stage musical of the movie Ghost are moulding away at the project and are in talks about opening the show 'outta town' in Manchester in the spring, then transferring to the West end around early summer.
There have been meetings this week and there are more next week, though nothing has been decided yet.
The main topics are about where the show's going to go. Well, I can tell you what I'm hearing.
The producers want it to open at the opera House in Manchester for a longish run.
I've heard ten weeks, but I don't know if that period involves rehearsals, technical rehearsals or a clear ten-week engagement at the Opera House. As I say, the talks are nowhere near complete.
A major reason for playing 'outta town' is for director Matthew Warchus and designer Rob Howell to sort out any problems with the set, magical illusions, score, book, cast and so on.
But, with Ghost, the real work of getting the show absolutely right will be done in front of a big West End audience.
The rumour is that Ghost will arrive in London at the Piccadilly Theatre, one of a number of West End venues under discussion.
Ghost, by the way, is based on the film of the same name which starred Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore. He's mugged and dies, she plays with clay. Whoopie Goldberg won an Oscar playing a streetwise medium.
Bruce Joel Rubin, who won the Oscar for writing the picture, has also penned the book and lyrics. Dave Stewart and Glen Ballard collaborated on the score and lyrics.
It's going to be a big love story. Stewart told me a while back about the show's message. 'I think you've really got to tell people you love them and you've got to live life to the full,' he said. 'That's what this show is about.' I gather more definitive knowledge about the theatres will trickle out in the coming weeks.
Once that's sorted, work can begin on casting. Laura Michelle Kelly is due to play the Demi Moore role but is in limbo till the theatres are signed up. Then work can begin on an album, but it will feature only those who will be in the show.
Some of you may have heard rumours that Ghost would be going to the Palace Theatre.
Well, I gather it's not. In fact, a musical version of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca is likely to end up there.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1291362/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Outnumbereds-Daniel-Roche-just-boy-play-William-Brown.html#ixzz0sTntXtAw

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1291362/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Outnumbereds-Daniel-Roche-just-boy-play-William-Brown.html#ixzz0sTncKblB

AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Baz - Friday Column#2
Posted: 7/1/10 at 10:39pm
I actually think Jennifer Ellison would be a good choice for 'Legally Blonde'.
Everything in life...is only for now.
'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
Baz - Friday Column#2
Posted: 7/2/10 at 1:26am
I hope that 'Love Story' does get it's transfer, I thought it was lovely. Emma Williams and Michael Xavier were perfect as Jenny and Olivier.
aka Ria
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#3
Posted: 7/2/10 at 1:55am
God I hope Love Story gets its transfer! 1000 seat theatre, which one is that?

Ghost, 10 weeks in Manchester? seriously?! Is ther that much demand for it? I just cant get exctied by the prospect of this show...I just hope Oliver Thompsett doesnt play the male lead...I think he has workshopped it

Rebecca, know nothing about it but it got amazing reviews i Europe I believe
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#4
Posted: 7/2/10 at 3:52am
Well I'll happily see anything with Emma Williams in, so am looking forward to Love Story, despite not being a fan of the slightly syrupy film...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#5
Posted: 7/2/10 at 12:07pm
A lot of news round this week, some good, some bad, but all depends on your opinion, snapshot of what news has came out;

Shrek to open at Drury Lane on the 7th June 2011.

Jennifer Ellison to take over from Sheridan Smith as Elle in Legally Blonde this Autumn.

Love Story to transfer this Autumn with Emma William's and Michael Xavier, theatre to be confirmed.

Ghost going into the Piccadilly Theatre with Laura Michelle Kelly.

Rebecca going into the Palace.

Updated On: 7/2/10 at 12:07 PM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#6
Posted: 7/2/10 at 12:14pm
Phantom, it wasnt news, just rumour in Baz's column. Sure he is often right but I still think its early days for Ghost and Rebecca, and Ellison as Blonde
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#7
Posted: 7/2/10 at 1:46pm
Ghost is looking to go to the Manchester Palace, not the Opera House
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Baz - Friday Column#8
Posted: 7/2/10 at 3:04pm
[i]Rebecca, know nothing about it but it got amazing reviews i Europe I believe[/i]

Rebecca is very... Austrian. Much less theatrically interesting than Kunze/Levay's previous work in Vienna but for those of us with a weakness for the 80s megamusical it's a decent enough show - great physical production and an absolute tour-de-force star turn for Mrs Danvers makes up for the rubbish central characters and bland-ish score, although they may have reworked it a bit.

Did anyone happen to go to the workshop with Sierra Boggess last year? The English demo for the show is appalling (terrible lyrics, which is a shame as the German ones are really quite good) so I hope they've punched them up quite a lot.

Best song in the show is the title song's 2nd Act reprise - Youtube Susan Rigvava-Dumas's (the original Mrs Danvers) performance of it if you're interested.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#9
Posted: 7/3/10 at 6:55am
Cheers Denada,

I knew nothing of Rebecca, first I heard of it was from Baz this Friday, no info given, so could not make a judgement, but now you have filled in the pieces and said it is like a "80s megamusical", now I am seriously looking forward to this.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#10
Posted: 7/4/10 at 4:46am
Rebecca is an outcast from the Time that Musicals Forgot. I can't see it catching on over here.

Stage Entertainment should bring Tanz der Vampyr- keep the German name, too, as it adds mystery! (But translate the show, obviously)

Sadly, I believe Joop actually doesn't like the show that much, even though it's his biggest cash cow.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#11
Posted: 7/4/10 at 6:42am
I 100% agree Dev, 'Rebecca' is certainly in that folder of musicals.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#12
Posted: 7/4/10 at 8:23am
I think Jennifer Ellison is a good choice for Legally Blonde as well.

I might actually go back and see it again if she was in it.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#13
Posted: 7/4/10 at 8:46am
I like Jen Ellison, enjoyed her Roxie very much. As much as I think image-wise and the whole blonde thing and acting wise I think she can be potentially great, I'm abit worried about her vocals... maybe it's just me?
As for GHOST, very excited indeed! Not at all about Rebecca, and I do wonder where Love Story will transfer to... Vaudeville Theatre??
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz - Friday Column#14
Posted: 7/4/10 at 3:01pm
^Duchess, Vaudeville are free from September, Garrick from Mid October and Duke of York's from December. All possibilities I think. Lend Me a Tenor/Wishful Drinking are still incoming though unless there has been a change of plan?