MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Flashdance -The Musical. Shaftesbury Theatre
'Flashdance -The Musical'
Shaftesbury Theatre, London.
Previewing 24th Sept 2010.
Opening night 14Th Oct 2010.
Limited season only until 26 February 2011.

Written by Tom Hedley and Robert Cary, with music by Robbie Roth, lyrics by Robert Cary and Robbie Roth.
Directed by Nikolai Foster.
Choreography by Arlene Phillips.

'Flashdance -The Musical', based on the Paramount Pictures film (screenplay by Tom Hedley and Joe Eszterhas, story by Tom Hedley), is produced in the West End by Christopher Malcolm, David Ian, The Baruch Viertel Routh Frankel Group, and Transamerica.

Set in Pittsburgh, USA, 'Flashdance -The Musical' tells the story of 18-year old Alex, a welder by day and ‘flashdancer’ by night, whose dream is to obtain a place at the prestigious Shipley Dance Academy. This musical about holding on to your dreams and love against all the odds features an iconic score including Maniac, Manhunt, Gloria, I Love Rock and Roll and the Academy award-winning title track Flashdance -What a Feeling.

Updated On: 7/1/10 at 05:23 AM
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This? Not so amazing, but I like the part where it says "Limited season only".
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bottom of my list!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wake me up when it's over.
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
somebody had to wake me up once it was over!
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hmmmm im not sure how many of you have actually seen the show, but as someone who was ready to kick the s**t out of this musical when it came to Manchester i have to say i was very suprised at how enjoyable, slick and entertaining it was. It was FAR better than the film.

It had a few problems (1 song called 2 totally different people in act 1 needs cutting, the Maniac dance they dropped after the first few dates of the tour needs to go back in and the finale Ddance needs reworking) but the rest of the show was great.

Some of the new songs were really good 'The Long Way Home and Dont Stop were great as was 'Steeltown Sky' and 'High Art' plus many others.

Victoria was wonderful as Alex and Noel did a great job as well. The only thing i was not a fan of was the set.

I would say give the show a chance before you dismiss because i was ready to hate it as well
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
People are just fed up of this never ending run of those not so hot Paramount movies of the 80s being flung in front of them at West End prices!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I understand that but at the same time if your a musical fan whos getting sick of that kind of thing you should have more of a problem with Priscilla which as fun as it is has dumbed down the story, has no new songs and is more like an outragrous drag show than new musical.

At least with Flashdance it's beefed out the story (the best it can) and added many new songs, has some great choreography in parts etc.

Im as sick as the film musicals as the next person, the only ones ive ever really enjoyed are Footloose, Legally Blonde and Flashdance, just as good trashy fun (the LB does it far better) but i will say for the Flashdance team you can tell that like many of these kind of shows they have really worked hard to get it to something very good.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
At least Priscilla on stage is fun and has taken a new take on the movie which is very dark (your words a few months back ha!) and now at the Palace is one big camp party with no expense sparred and Broadway bound.
I wont be expecting the same with 'Flashdance' as that certainly didn't happen with the likes of 'Dirty Dancin', 'Fame', 'Footloose' etc etc etc etc etc.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I honestly had more fun at Flashdance than i did Priscilla

I love the priscialla movie so the show was a tiny bit of a let down. The movie for Flashdance was very average (though the dog was cute lol) and the show was head and shoulders above it.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I HAVE seen it, and it was pretty dull! It wasnt fun in a camp way such a Footloose, it was just dull. I didnt think any of the new songs were that memorable, Victoria was a stand out though so I hop ite a hit to give her wider recognition. The surprise was Bruno Langley who had a really good voice!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lets take a look at the all important artwork and advertising that these productions spend millions on to get the paying public in......

Don't get worked up expecting to see anything new and exciting from each show....

It just stinks of 'get the rights to that movie and that one, stick it on stage and rip the public off'.

and of course the latest gem....

Updated On: 7/1/10 at 08:09 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 7/1/10 at 08:09 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well we always disagree princeton lol, but i have to say i agree about Bruno, shame he did not have more to do.

I actually loved the artwork for Footloose and thought the show was great fun. I also love the artwork for Flashdance (i mean what else was it going to be really lol)

The main thing with Flashdance is that the audiences i saw it with and when i was working at the Palace who came to see it loved it. Also the critics seemed to really like it as well (which is rare for these type of shows, only Footloose got good reviews like Flashdance)

It will be good to see what London critics make of it, im expecting lots of 3 stars
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You must have had a bad trip down the day you saw 'Priscilla' thats all I can say!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I need to lay down somewhere dark after all those garish posters looking at me!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To even it up I thought both Priscilla and Flashdance were as bad as eachother. Priscilla was lazy in creation and for me didnt have the feelgood and fun factor of say Hairspray or Mamma Mia or even Footloose.

I think Dirty Dancing gets a hard time actually. Yes its not original in anyway, and I didnt enjoy it especially, but I think the quality of production is very good. The staging is well done, the sets etc are really good. I do think it could have been an amazing stage show as a brand new musical, and more dancing! For a show with dancing in the title there isnt that much in the show.

Fame I think is the worse, its book and score were awful. Flashdance does beat Fame Ill admit that.

I do think these shows serve a good purpose, they are good sellers and help keep local theatres in business. I think its snobbish to dismiss them completely, but neither do I think they are often West End quality
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Both Hairspray and Mamma Mia made me feel awful so I'd better steer clear of any show that has a worse "feel-good" rating than them lol.

As for Fame, I actually like that show - though the characters are very wooden and the book is pretty flimsy, the score has a handful of very good songs.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mamma i love the Fame logo, i think that has also become a very iconic logo. The footloose and Flashdance ones represent the films and shows well, hate the Dirty Dancing ones.

Logos are meant to represent the show, IE Priscialla and a big shoe lol.

Dont get me wrong i thought Priscialla was fun but nothing special.

Bob i was in Fame for a long time and i just grew to hate it. Its nothing like the wonderful film and feels like an even cheaper cash in on the TV series which was in turn a cheap cash in itself. It's a great show for young talent to start out in but the book is a mess, only a few songs work and since they changed the Choreogrpahy from the original london choreography which i loved doing to a dumbed down version which now can be seen its lost its dance edge as well
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bob what shows do cheer you up/give you the 'feelgood' factor?

Not having a go, just curious
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Princeton, basically shows that do not insult my intelligence and have a serious underbelly to them will always make me "feel good". More than anything I guess - the show has to have a score with music I like. (I hated the score to Hairpspray for example so that could never cheer me up.)

Spring Awakening certainly gave me a feel-good factor - because I found it both deeply emotionally affecting and uplifting at the same time - and the score blew me away. Next To Normal - again though very serious in its theme made me feel incredibly good for every second of the show each time I've seen it.

On the other hand, shows with music I hate will have the opposite effect on me, as will shows with mindlessly silly books and forced and therefore "unfunny" humour (which is how I felt about Hairspray, Mama Mia, Shrek, etc.)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 7/1/10 at 10:14 AM
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm still bitter 'Hairspray' got kicked out for this.
Everything in life...is only for now.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ah ok cool. Do you like any lighthearted ones?

AveQ go and see the tour, its brilliant and better than the final London cast in my view.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not sure what you mean by "lighthearted". But I do like comedy shows provided there is genuine wit and not mindless nonsense. I love Avenue Q, for example or La Cage Aux Folles, Promises Promises, Sweet Charity, Sister Act - and Billy Elliot is awesome and certainly a "feel good" show. But all of those shows, though "light" in a sense, all have very strong, beautifully crafted books and very strong scores.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
*I'm still bitter 'Hairspray' got kicked out for this.*

Hairspray did not get kicked out, it just was not selling well