Page: 1

3 of the Best

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#1
Posted: 6/26/10 at 6:14pm
Just a fun thread, as not much going down at the moment.

What are your 3 best shows in the West End at the moment?

It is right I should go first;

1, Les Miserable - Beautiful music and lyrics, not one dude song in there, based on the brilliant epic novel of Victor Hugo, who is a French equivalent of Charles Dickens; a social reformer. Saw this show for the 5th time earlier this year, still brought the whole audience to its feet, which is rare in the West End, especially after 25 years.

2, Billy Elliot - The music and lyrics are not stunning like the above, but in context with the movement is so stunning, the film is great, always new this would work well on stage, but did not know this would be this special.

3, Warhorse - Its a play, but what a great story, felt really touched when I saw this, great puppetry that betters that rivals The Lion King. this will be such a hit on Broadway.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#2
Posted: 6/26/10 at 6:21pm
Legally Blonde - Such a fun show that I could see again and again and again.
All My Sons - Outstanding production, the acting is probably the best on any stage in London right now.
Billy Elliot - Forgot how much I loved this show when I saw it again earlier this year. Excellent show.
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#2
Posted: 6/26/10 at 6:30pm
1. Wicked - Some fantastic songs and I think the best cast in London yet
2. Sister Act - Such a fun feel good show. Patina is fantatsic
3. Oliver - Some good cast members and stunning to look at
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#3
Posted: 6/26/10 at 6:58pm
If by "shows" you mean musicals:
1. BILLY ELLIOT
2. AVENUE Q
3. WICKED

If you broaden the spectrum to include plays, ALL MY SONS just has to be there.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#4
Posted: 6/27/10 at 2:13am
Yeah this is a tough one, but based on 'at the moment' meaning current casts etc id go

Sweet Charity
All My Sons
Mamma Mia tied with Billy Elliot

Special mention should also go to Tap Dogs and Love Never Dies (for cast alone).

These arnt necessarily my favourite musicals/shows in London, but based on current casts/state of the production I think these are the strongest
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#5
Posted: 6/27/10 at 6:43am
Mamma Mia actually ties on my list with Love Never Dies for the worst show I've seen in 40 years of going to the theatre LOL. Yet again, I am thoroughly intrigued how various people's tastes are so diametrically opposed.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#6
Posted: 6/27/10 at 8:15am
Legally Blonde
Hair
Sweet Charity

MNot really anything in the West End to be fair though
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#7
Posted: 6/27/10 at 8:31am
Dirty Dancing
Dreamboats And Petticoats
Thriller Live!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#8
Posted: 6/27/10 at 10:36am
LMAO Mamma
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#9
Posted: 6/27/10 at 1:28pm
The reason I love Mamma Mia is because it is just pure fun and upbeat. Guaranteed to cheer me up. The story isnt bad, in a chick flick kinda way. With Hairspray gone its one of the few upbeat shows that I can just sit back,relax and be entertained. Not high art by any means, but an enjoyable night out none the less. Definately the best of the jukebox shows
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#10
Posted: 6/27/10 at 1:46pm
Hairspray is another of the shows I utterly detested LOL - coming close behind MM and LND in my list of all time worst
nights at the theatre. Our tastes do seem to be at opposite poles LOl - yet we both also seem to love Billy Elliot (a show I would class about five thousand places above Mama Mia in class LOL). As I said, it's all very intriguing to see what different people like.
Cat123
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
3 of the Best#11
Posted: 6/27/10 at 3:15pm
Right now, I am mostly loving...

Hair
Chicago
Wicked (though I haven't seen it for a few months, it will always be on the list!)
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 of the Best#12
Posted: 6/27/10 at 4:12pm
I was actually thinking about this earlier, and I wasn't especially inspired by my thinkings. My current top three recommendations are probably:

1. War Horse (of course!)
2. Ghost Stories (which I loved a great deal)
3. All My Sons (which I haven't seen yet but am taking a punt on 'cos I've heard nothing but rapture about it thus far)

There's quite a lot of good stuff in the West End at the moment, quite a lot of it *very* good, but there's very little that stands out as genius and joy beyond measure. Hopefully that's just because it's summer, and some genuinely incredible stuff is on the way. *fingers crossed!*