Page: 1

All My Sons!!

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#1
Posted: 6/20/10 at 2:16am
Just go!!!!

One of the finest things ive ever seen on stage. Zoe Wannamaker and David Suchet are giving two of the best performances I have ever seen on stage, in my view award winning performances. Beautiful, funny, touching, heartbreaking and captivating in every moment. For me Zoe just edges ahead as the best performance on stage.

The supporting cast are also brilliant, this is a pure class production of a great play. GO!
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
All My Sons!!#2
Posted: 6/20/10 at 5:34am
It is amazing.

I actually thought I was going to cry (and I mean cry properly, not just get choked up) during the curtain call - those last scenes were so emotional and shocking, even though I knew what was going to happen! Or I knew some of it at least - without spoiling anything, I knew what happened but I'd forgotten why.

I did think that as a play as a whole A View from the Bridge (the only other Miller I've seen) was a little better, but this one had an even greater emotional impact by the end. Though both very clearly of their period, it's not at all difficult to relate either of them to modern times.

I agree that David Suchet was superb. I'm not a huge fan of Zoe Wanamaker's stage work, but this is the best performance I've seen from her. A difficult character, I think. Agreed about the supporting cast - Stephen Campbell Moore was the standout for me, great performance. And Jemima Rooper did a lot with what could easily have been a non-part.

Only annoyance was nothing to do with the play or production itself - just that it started while the ushers were still trying to seat this woman in a wheelchair, so the very striking opening scene was obstructed by people moving up and down the aisle.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#2
Posted: 6/20/10 at 5:49am
1000% Agree. Saw it yesterday afternoon, just incredible, and I did burst out crying like a baby in those final moments. Dsvid Suchet will get the Olivier for this.

I had no idea what was coming! Just brilliant writing and performances all around.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#3
Posted: 6/20/10 at 5:58am
Having been astounded by the Dennehy/Higgins Death of a Salesman and last year's A View From the Bridge this sounds like a must see.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#4
Posted: 6/20/10 at 6:09am
Never saw View, but did see Salesman and I have to say that I got a little bored with it, brilliant but it didnt quite grab and hold me the entire time like this one did yesterday. Simply sublime, one of those rare moments when theatre can give you a real natural high, so many emotions. Still feeling it this morning. Agree with you on Stephen and Jemima, especially Jemima who was a bit of a revelation. A play that really is worth its top price! Scripps just go! :)

And great news its been extended by a month!
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
All My Sons!!#5
Posted: 6/20/10 at 6:44am
One thing that did strike me as weaker than in A View from the Bridge was the "wife" character - I think Beatrice (View) is a better-written part than Kate (AMS). And Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio played it perfectly - such a beautifully nuanced performance. Too subtle for the Olivier voters to notice, obviously! Zoe Wanamaker's character was more broadly drawn, more melodramatic - both in terms of the writing and the way she played it. I'm really, seriously nit-picking here, though - if A View... wasn't so fresh in my mind I don't think I'd have any reservations about this at all.
Updated On: 6/20/10 at 06:44 AM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#6
Posted: 6/20/10 at 6:54am
I agree with all the raves about this production. Saw it a few weks ago and it was outstanding in every way. It's worth seeing for the set alone! And the performances are honestly about as good as it gets.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#7
Posted: 6/21/10 at 2:40pm
I really must see this production. Was hoping to get some discounted tickets but seems unlikely now given its huge success.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#8
Posted: 6/21/10 at 3:39pm
Seeing it on Saturday.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#9
Posted: 6/22/10 at 6:21am
Im trying to get down next week to watch it
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#10
Posted: 8/19/10 at 3:24pm
I was in London yesterday on a business trip and managed to get a ticket from TKTS.

I can't add anything to what's already been said: it was superb.

I was trying to predict to myself how things would finish as the play went along - and got it completely wrong!

What I also didn't realise is that this is a West End transfer of a production Davies directed at the National in 2000 (then with Julie Walters).
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#11
Posted: 10/3/10 at 4:13am
Wow!! I finally got to see All My Sons in the final week of its run. I was expecting great things and boy did I get great things. What a stunning set and what brilliant acting. The fautless cast was supremely led by Zoe Wanamaker and David Suchet who between them deliver an acting master class.

One thing, I noticed in the programme mention of the 2000 NT production. Is this a revival of that production as I noticed Howard Davies directed both?
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
All My Sons!!#12
Posted: 10/3/10 at 6:02am
Basically, yes - the 2000 NT production was done in a traverse staging in the Cottesloe Theatre and while it was very similar obviously the basic layout of the staging was different. The following year it transferred to the NT Lyttelton, obviously re-staged for that proscenium arch theatre, and I believe the Apollo production was based pretty closely on that, though Howard Davies apparently worked very closely with each cast and, I suspect, tweaked the production a bit each time. It's definitely based on the NT one, though.
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
All My Sons!!#13
Posted: 10/3/10 at 6:18am
The NT production:

All My Sons!!

All My Sons!!

All My Sons!!

All My Sons!!

All My Sons!!
Updated On: 10/3/10 at 06:18 AM
wolfwolf
Understudy
Understudy
All My Sons!!#14
Posted: 10/3/10 at 6:32am
It is obvious the play will get the L Oliver Award for this and the actors will too I haven't seen it but it looks amazing in film and Zoe will get an Oliver for this and best revival is going to.
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#15
Posted: 10/3/10 at 1:20pm
Thanks for confirming about the NT production.

If the Best Actor and Actress awards dont go to David Suchet and Zoe Wanamaker then there is no justice.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#16
Posted: 10/4/10 at 9:53am
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#17
Posted: 10/4/10 at 10:04am
I don't know, theatrepaul. After the Dance still haunts me, so I'm plumping for Nancy Carroll at least. :3
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All My Sons!!#18
Posted: 10/4/10 at 10:37am
Hmm, true enough Weez. After the Dance is another of my theatre highlights this year. It's a tough one