Page: 1

The History Of The Musical Theatre

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The History Of The Musical Theatre#1
Posted: 6/5/10 at 7:55am
BBC Radio 2 is to look back over 80 years of musical theatre in a major new series exploring the appeal of the art form both in the West End and on Broadway.

'The Musical', which is a series of eight 60 minute episodes, is being written by Brian Sibley and produced for the BBC by Malcolm Prince, who is also the producer of Elaine Paige’s Sunday programme on Radio 2.
Sibley and Prince have previously collaborated together on Radio 2 series such as 'Ain’t No Mickey Mouse Business' and 'Disney’s Women'.

In the new series the musical will be explored from its early days of the combination of dance, spoken word and music to the current lure of the West End to American film stars.
'At any given time, what’s currently on stage - the hits, the flops, avant-garde experiments, war horse revivals - is a reflection of the eighty-year history of musicals. This eight-part series explores that story'.

Full details of the series are still being put together, but it is understood each episode will explore a theme, rather than look back over the history of musical theatre chronologically.

The series begins on September 6 at 10pm.
Updated On: 6/5/10 at 07:55 AM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The History Of The Musical Theatre#2
Posted: 6/5/10 at 9:55am
This seems really interesting - a shame I don't own a radio LOL (never been a radio person).
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The History Of The Musical Theatre#2
Posted: 6/5/10 at 11:31am
Me neither Bob. Something about radio I dont like and never have.