Page: 1

Fantasticks/Spamalot/Tick Tick Boom

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fantasticks/Spamalot/Tick Tick Boom#1
Posted: 6/4/10 at 6:34pm
Just got home from my latest London theatre spree, so here are my humble comments on the shows I saw:

Wednesday night: THE FANTASTICKS was pretty fantastic. It's a wonderful show to begin with (with such an amazing score) and Amon Myamoto's staging was delightful. In the cast Luke Brady acts really well as the Boy, Lorna Want sings really well as the Girl, David Burt and Clive Rowe are simply brilliant as the Fathers, Edward Petherbridge gives a master class in comic timing as the Old Man and Hadley Fraser oozes with charm and immense presence as El Gallo and his vocals are, as always, to die for.

Thursday matinee: After a lovely lunch in Wimbledon with my best friend (who's in the show) and Simon Lipkin (who's also in the show - and a really nice guy), I saw SPAMALOT and it was superb. It helps that I've always been a huge Python fan but I loved this show in the West End and in many ways loved it even more this time round. Though the set is slightly cheap and cheerful, the performances are all pretty outstanding. Marcus was off but Graham MacDuff was really good as Arthur, Kit Orton was brilliant as Lancelot (he's my mate and I'm biased but he really was brilliant!), Simon Lipkin has such brilliant comic timing and super vocals, Todd Carty was a revelation as Patsy and Sam Holmes came close to stealing the show as Robin. And Jodie Prenger was suprisingly good as the Lady Of The Lake (I've never really been a fan). Can't wait to see the show again when it comes to Cardiff!

Thursday night: TICK TICK BOOM - hugely disappointed. The production is let down by its cast, I think. Leanne Jones IMO is totally miscast in this show, though she did sing really well and Come To Your Senses was stunning. Adam Rhys Davies is pretty wooden and Ashley Campbell, though he gives a first rate acting performance, lost me with his vocals, which I thought were horrendous. And the production simply lacks any sense of energy. This is a great show (I loved it at the Chocolate Factory and I adore the original cast CD)) with a fantastic score and it should really blow you away. But sadly this production left me feeling really flat.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Fantasticks/Spamalot/Tick Tick Boom#2
Posted: 6/5/10 at 6:51am
Edward Petherbridge! I didn't know he was still around. Don't think I've seen him in anything post-Nicholas Nickleby (which he was absolutely brilliant in). It's a terrific cast, I haven't decided whether or not to see it - I've heard so many mixed reviews of the production.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fantasticks/Spamalot/Tick Tick Boom#2
Posted: 6/5/10 at 9:50am
Marius - Petherbridge was in ALW's Woman In White - though I won't hold that against him.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Fantasticks/Spamalot/Tick Tick Boom#3
Posted: 6/7/10 at 8:03am
I've just made a flying visit to the West End and I have to concur with everything Bob says about The Fantasticks - a magical show, beautifully performed. Such a treat to see Edward Petherbridge (one of my favourites in Nicholas Nickleby) doing a lovely comic turn. And Hadley Fraser was magnetic as the narrator / El Gallo. Definitely highly recommended! (FWIW, I was able to buy a 20 day seat only 30 minutes before the matinee began).
Seen some shows in my time....