Page: 1

Samuel Barnett is The Man

miriam2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Samuel Barnett is The Man#1
Posted: 6/3/10 at 8:47am
This week's Theatre Talk is about Samuel Barnett and The Man at the Finborough. I urge you to see it - it's a really interesting piece and he is excellent (cast is alternating throughout, though!)
Samuel Barnett Is The Man
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Samuel Barnett is The Man#2
Posted: 6/3/10 at 9:16am
The play sounds very interesting, I'd like to see it, but I have to say I'm not a big fan of Samuel Barnett generally - he was superb and absolutely perfectly cast in The History Boys, but I found him unconvincing and much too Posner-ish in what should have been a very different role in Dealer's Choice, and the same in Women Beware Women (though of course being miscast, if that's what it is, isn't his fault). Did you see him in either of those? Would be interested to know what you thought.

I should just say, I don't dislike him or anything! I've just never since seen him come close to what he achieved in The History Boys. Maybe it's because I associate him so strongly with Posner, but he's never really convinced me when he's had to play an adult (as opposed to a teenager or a specifically young man). Same goes for Dominic Cooper, actually - but not for Jamie Parker or Russell Tovey, who have both escaped from their History Boys roles much more successfully IMO.
miriam2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Samuel Barnett is The Man#2
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:32am
Hi Marius, I haven't actually though I am due to see WBW very soon - will let you know what I think. I have seen him in other things, however, and was really impressed with him in this - he was totally different from Posner, so I hope you enjoy it if you see it with him in. I think because it's literally just him (and a disembodied woman), he was able to make the role more his own and break away from that feyness.

I know what you mean, though. Russell Tovey is a great example, and I too think Jamie Parker has done really well. I feel like Dominic Cooper has somewhat stuck himself in a rut, and the same goes for James Corden - he needs a good dramatic role to show me his versatility, he's just played variants on himself over the last few years.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Samuel Barnett is The Man#3
Posted: 6/11/10 at 9:55pm
I saw Women Beware Women and really enjoyed it. Samuel was certainly a highlight for me. Having read this article, I immediately booked for The Man for Friday. Sadly I was confused by the Earl's Court station and went the opposite direction... 10 mins late and was not allowed in. I am so gutted since I won't be in London til 22nd and the show would have ended by then Samuel Barnett is The ManSamuel Barnett is The ManSamuel Barnett is The Man Just read the play as well, sounds interesting!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings