Page: 1

Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!

kikki327 Profile Photokikki327 Profile Photo
kikki327
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#1
Posted: 5/27/10 at 9:08pm
apparently Nick Jonas is going to play Marius for a 3 week run...should be interesting. wish i could see it though!
http://oceanup.com/2010/05/27/nick-jonas-les-miserables-marius-role
PastorErnst Profile PhotoPastorErnst Profile Photo
PastorErnst
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#2
Posted: 5/27/10 at 11:25pm
It's official. Nick just announced (via Twitter) that he will be performing in Les Mis once again.
Twitter.com: Nick Jonas : I am so excited to announc ...
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#2
Posted: 5/28/10 at 2:31pm
I wanted to go but I'm so poor right now I guess I'll just wait to see him in the O2 concert instead ~
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Mother's Younger Brother Profile PhotoMother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#3
Posted: 5/28/10 at 2:48pm
Gorgeous though he may be, this kid does NOT have the pipes for this role -- and that's based on his solo CD, not the Jo-Bros.
Paterson
Stand-by
Stand-by
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#4
Posted: 5/29/10 at 4:27am
I am trying not to be judgemental, as the theatre world is often unfairly dismissive of "pop singers", so I went to his website and listened to some of his recent, solo material. If he is a good singer, he's hiding it well.

Being selfish, I don't care much about the three week run in the West End as that is easy enough for me to avoid, and while it will be disruptive to the rest of the cast, they will get over it, but I had hoped to go to the concert at the O2, and presumed the inevitable DVD would join my favourites. I am hastily re-thinking that.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#5
Posted: 5/29/10 at 7:37am
As mentioned before, he has Broadway ties...

Not to mention the fact that he performed in La Bohéme in New-York, no?

I think we might be surprised, remember Gareth Gates?
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#6
Posted: 5/29/10 at 8:41am
"If he is a good singer, he's hiding it well. "

Could not agree more Paterson! Besides that, if anything doesn't need stunt casting to sell it's Les Mis in any shape or form; what is the point? I don't get what's happening to the West End anymore really...
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#7
Posted: 5/29/10 at 10:53am
The word on the Street is that Cameron will be doing this with all the "Stars" who will be appearing in the concert.... they will all step into their roles for a few weeks to get to grips with them before the o2 gig! Apparently...
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#8
Posted: 5/29/10 at 11:33am
"'If he is a good singer, he's hiding it well.' Could not agree more Paterson!"

luke-h***, you do realise this guy has a history of Broadway performing, not to mention the fact that he's done opera?

This hate of famous people being cast before they've even performed really get my goat.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again: "Anyone remember Gareth Gates?"
Updated On: 5/29/10 at 11:33 AM
kikki327 Profile Photokikki327 Profile Photo
kikki327
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#9
Posted: 5/29/10 at 11:02pm
actually his brother joe was in La Boheme....nick was in Beauty and the Beast, Les Mis, Annie Get Your Gun and i think A Christmas Carol
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#10
Posted: 5/30/10 at 3:10am
I can't be bothered to find the thread, but I'm off to Paris in a few hours were I'm seeing the tour! I'm back on Thursday Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!
Paterson
Stand-by
Stand-by
Nick Jonas to play Marius in Les Mis?!?!#11
Posted: 5/30/10 at 5:57am
I am definitely not against casting of "celebrities", and I think they often do far better than some in the industry would like to admit. Much of the bitterness comes from people who were never quite good enough reassuring themselves that they would have got that starring role if only the pesky pop star hadn't cheated him out of it.

That's exactly why I made a point of going to the Nick Jonas official website to find out more and I listened the whole way through to the song he's promoting. I hated the song, but that's irrelevant, but I also didn't like how he sang it or thought it showed off any real voal talent. For example, it had a very limited vocal range.

I concede that it was just one song, and it wasn't his audition piece, so he might be capable of much, much more, but that's exactly what I meant by him hiding it well.

Gareth Gates is a good example where a lot of critics of pop star casting have eaten their words, and he's one of the reasons I didn't want to dismiss Nick automatically, but he doesn't help himself with his choice of material.

Presumably Nick was asked to do something more relevant at his audition and he'll be getting some vocal coaching to help him with the transition in style, but he's not a celebrity I am interested in, so I'd rather see someone who I know I like in the part. I'd much rather see Gareth Gates.