Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#1
Posted: 5/25/10 at 8:26am

Mel C who has just completed a critically acclaimed season in London with 'Blood Brothers' is to star in the national tour for 6 months.
The tour will will play its final 2 weeks with her as lead in her home town of Liverpool.
The show had its highest earnings in 12 years during her time at the Phoenix.

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#2
Posted: 5/25/10 at 8:38am
Nikki Evans is also doing part of the tour
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#2
Posted: 5/25/10 at 11:07am
For a woman is poor she is doing well enough to buy new slippers. Now, would someone tell me why this show just keeps on going and going? Hasn't itplayed to near empty houses for years?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#3
Posted: 5/25/10 at 11:24am
My last pair of new slippers were nice and cheap and they are so comfy I'll have you know!

Its entire audience is made up of tourists.
The UK public have all basically seen it in its first decade in the West End and it has toured simultaneously throughout the UK for the last 15 years or more.
Most theatres across the UK take it in for a week or in most cities, two, every single year as is the case with most of Kenwrights shows. He is a wonderful bargainer.
The West End production today is sold to travel companies across the world with most of the audience paying as little as 5 pounds per seat.
There is still a huge market for it and Ken wright knows this.

Everyone was surprised when Mel C was given the part. Quiet a name to go in old show, so I guess it was a compromise-she gets her first acting role with a nice meaty part and he probably payed her a pittance.
I was at the Birmingham Hippodrome at Christmas and it had just played a two week run there. It was old out every show inc midweek matinees at full price -39 ponds and down!
Birmingham seats 2500 and takes the show 3 weeks very year as does other huge venues like Bristol, Southampton etc. Do the math!
It really is incredible!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#4
Posted: 5/25/10 at 11:26am
Its a damn good show, the tour always sells out. Not sure about London but I guess it must do ok
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#5
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:13pm
It's a school's favourite as well with coach trips padding out performances in London and on tour.

It's a strong show, definatly deserving of it's long touring life.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#6
Posted: 5/25/10 at 9:26pm
Kenwright produced in Australia years ago where it did just ok business. Everything about it looked cheap and tacky. I remember going to a performance and just before the big moment at the end, someone from the rear of the theatre yelled "He's got a gun!". A magic moment in theatre.

Didn't Kenwright do well from years of touring JOSEPH/DREAMCOAT? It really is quite clever to put a lot of kids in a choir on stage - possible multiple casts - at each town you play, each child probably sells about 12 seats (probably more) to family and friends, that's the sort of stuff that fills theatres.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#7
Posted: 5/26/10 at 4:34am
Kenwrights 'Joseph' is now in its 31st year touring. It didn't tour while ALW had his own productions in town at the Palladium and Adelphi, apart from that its been out the constantly.
He famously put it together in just 3 weeks to fill in the empty dates left by the collapse of the first UK tour of 'A Chorus Line' and it hasn't stopped since. Up to 13 shows a week-everyone sold out. as I said earlier regarding 'Blood Brothers'- do the math.
I did it for 18 months -hell, absolute hell!
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#8
Posted: 5/26/10 at 4:53am
When I finally went to see it in the West End earlier this year it was definitely a tourist audience. I'd say it was only about half full too.

Calendar Girls is another show which looks like its going to have a long touring life - there were very few tickets left at my local venue months in advance.
Seen some shows in my time....
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#9
Posted: 5/26/10 at 4:59am
Cant wait to see what old broads they bring out of Brinsworth house to do the next 20 years of 'Calendar Girls'!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mel C To Tour UK With Blood B#10
Posted: 5/27/10 at 2:53pm
Lynn Paul is now also on the new tour so limiting the dates Mel C will play.