Julie Andrews - Shambolic/Boring/Crap/Dull

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My mums description of her "concert". Says it was the biggest waste of money ever and that Julie didn't sing hardly anything at all. She said it was more interesting watching the hoards of people walking out than the 40 minute narration of a children's story for 40 minutes.

Seems like Julie has pulled a quickie to make a load of dosh. Not surprised she only did one date she probably knew it was a pile of crap!
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I was always dubious when i saw this advertised. I supposed alot of people were expecting her to do a full show. My mum was interested in going until i told her she would only probably be hosting the event. It looks like I saved a bit of cash
Patti LuPone FANatic Profile PhotoPatti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw the photos of Julie Andrew's show on BWW. They looked lovely. If only she would do her show here in the U.S. It's rather strange that Mark would call it shambolic, boring, crap and dull..when it was "mother" and not he...who saw it. Another thing... there's a reason she doesn't do much singing nowadays... she had that vocal surgery some years ago that ruined her voice. Lastly, Julie Andrews doesn't do anything of substandard quality. She's far too professional and classy for that sort of thing. I would like to think that she did one date as a gift to her fans...for people who actually appreciate her. from RC in Austin, Texas USA
"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I just got back to Manchester after attending this evening's concert. Admittedly, the programme was not as varied as one would have necessarily hoped, but it was still fantastic to see Julie Andrews in the flesh, back on the London stage. When she sang (and she sang a lot more than I had expected her to, considering her vocal difficulties), she brought the house down, and there were a lot of emotional people sat around me. By choosing to do Simeon's Gift, she proved that she was not doing the concert for the money - if that was the case, she would have chosen a different schedule, but perhaps, not one which was as personal to her as tonight's was. Towards the end of the second half, my friend and I were offered to swap seats with two people who had to leave for a train, and ended up in the centre of the front row, less than two metres from JA. It was a unforgettable experience. Yes, she is flawed. Yes, some people will have hated it. But I think that they need to be aware of what it is they are going to see - not once did she advertise the concert as her singing 'full-out', which was what a lot of the naysayers we heard were expecting. It was a treat to see her back in the UK, and I wish her the very best.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 5/9/10 at 03:12 AM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry Patti Fanatic, but I trust my mothers judgement completely on this one. She looked significantly upset at how poor the standard of the whole evening was. To say that "Julie Andrews doesn't do anything of substandard quality" is obviously incorrect since so many people were walking out.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this car crash from the 4th row!
I am still ****ing steaming from having been ripped off in the biggest ****ing fashion ever!
In the interval you could almost feel the shock of the people who had forked out 110 to see a few Broadway chorus singers being introduced by Dame F*CKing Julie Andrews! I hovered in the interval as too demand for 110 back but thought Id better sit it out!
How ****ing dare she!
If you cant sing darling don't go the ****ing stage!
Updated On: 5/9/10 at 06:29 AM
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
You didn't like it then mama? lol.

Glad i decided to give it a miss.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Im sorry but you have to be pretty thick to expect Julie Andrews to sing.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuse me!!!!!!

AT NO POINT IN ANY PUBLICITY DOES IT STATE THAT SHE WAST SINGING OK!

Trying putting your statement to the 20,000 there last night!

The Telegraph On Sunday
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/7698262/Review-Dame-Julie-Andrews-at-the-O2-Arena.html

West End Whingers
http://westendwhingers.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/review-julie-andrews-the-gift-of-music/#more-6879

Updated On: 5/9/10 at 06:42 AM
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So, Mama, stop beating about the bush - tell us what you really thought of the show! LOL
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Buy me a large gin and I'll gladly go thru it all with you my darling.
I'm just comfortable in the knowledge that the rest of today will help me forget last night, Debbie last show in the West End at 4 followed by her on stage party and then Jane McDonald at the Palladium!

Updated On: 5/9/10 at 07:08 AM
Mrs_Spratt Profile PhotoMrs_Spratt Profile Photo
Mrs_Spratt
Swing
Swing
I went to 02 last night..and I adore Julie but it was a disaster.Completely wrong Venue,wrong content and over indulgent in second half.Ms Andrews left singing mainly to a supporting Quintet.It was of course great seeing her,and the audience went wild when she "sang" but those moments were few and far between.The whole evening eventually sank with the musical adaptation of her and her daughter's joint bookwriting effort of "Simeon's Gift". One hour of purgatory. I was sitting next to a gentleman who had flown in from Norway,had paid over 200 for his ticket but he was not aware of the actual programme.I assume most of the audience weren't either taking into account the very muted response to 95% of the show. V disappointing. I think if this is going on worldwide Tour then prospective audiences should be made aware.We know Julies voice is no more,she admitted it herself.But the programme could perhaps have been a journey thru her remarkable career.

And as for the arena (floor) seats.made for dwarves,so uncomfortable to add insult to injury.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You cant do a whole hour of R & H classics in a Julie Andrews concert and she doest do one of them.
Where on the floor were you? It OK in row 4 but we had the autocue monitors blocking a lot of the stage. Thats anther thing, she needed to look constantly down to the monitors while narrating a story she bloody wrote!
Mrs_Spratt
Swing
Swing
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mrs, that review sums it up brilliantly. Thanks for that one. x
Mrs_Spratt
Swing
Swing
Thanks, and here's the Telegraph,again v good. Oh Julie Julie Julie,we didn't expect much but got less than we bargained for.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/7698262/Review-Dame-Julie-Andrews-at-the-O2-Arena.html

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OK, OK, some good points about last evening!

1: The O2 is pretty terrific place and is very well organized.
2. The actual arena is very welcoming and seems a lot smaller than its 20,000 plus capacity.
3: The sound in the arena is simply stunning and knocks the poor old Royal Albert Hall and the cold and dirty Wembley Arena, way down to the bottom of the league.
4: The staff are brilliant. I had heard that they have helpful friendly staff in some reports. Every single one I spoke too or saw last night was unbelievably helpful and very well in formed and organized. A quick word from me to the customer services desk saw a friend of mine moved from just over half way back on the sides to a floor seat 18 rows from the front.

I will not hesitate to see other events there.

RIGHT! -now Im off for some real entertainment 'guaranteed' - Dame Debbie Reynolds and Lady Jane McDonald!

Updated On: 5/9/10 at 07:58 AM
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Julie Andrews - Shambolic/Boring/Crap/Dull#18
Posted: 5/9/10 at 11:25am
Left 10mins into the second act! Couldnt face it anymore. The 1st Act was bareable (just) but when these 5 actors and Julie started doign god knows what on stage to some simon (??!) book - I called it a night and headed to nearest bar!!

Bless her though, I did well up during Funny Valentine, it was so sad to hear her try to sing again. She kind of adopted a Rex Harrison but deeper approach, but it just didnt work and those 5 back up singers were just awful! It was more like a Rodgers and Hammerstein concert with Julie Andrews saying some lines.

Good thing I went along with a friend who over booked otherwise I would have felt robbed to be honest. The show had do real substance. The songs sung on the first act werent even from songs Andrews was in!! I just couldnt understand!! they even did Do I Hear A Waltz which unless your reall musical theatre goer you wont even know that song! Bless more mums who bought daughters who obviously want Mary Poppins and Sound of Music number and only just literally one song, at the end, where everyone sung "do re mi" - which did feel special to witness. However, not worth 100!

02 was the worst venue to do this at - why not three shows on a sunday at The Drury Lane? Far more suitable for Andrews, Rodgers Hammerstein etc ...

Best thing however was in the VIP area in the interval - was a star studded affair of celebs, including an appearence from Elizabeth Taylor!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Julie Andrews - Shambolic/Boring/Crap/Dull#19
Posted: 5/9/10 at 11:38am
What a tragedy!
theeatah Profile Phototheeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
To those who attended, did you hear/read that Andrews' voice had returned after the botched vocal surgery she underwent?
Mrs_Spratt
Swing
Swing
Julie Andrews - Shambolic/Boring/Crap/Dull#21
Posted: 5/10/10 at 5:54am
Yes I was under the impression from an article in the paper on saturday that she was "Finally able to make my singing Comeback". Comeback was one word not two.
Paterson
Stand-by
Stand-by
Julie Andrews - Shambolic/Boring/Crap/Dull#22
Posted: 5/10/10 at 8:00am
I saw her being interviewed about this concert when she was promoting it and she said she wouldn't be doing much singing and people shouldn't expect that and her voice was in no way recovered.

It's a shame if that message didn't get across to all those booking, but Julie herself didn't seem to be trying to pretend it was something it wasn't.

I do think that given the nature of the intended event, the O2 is the wrong venue. Something more intimate and people might have felt they were getting something worth-while, but obviously if people were expecting a proper concert the venue is irrelevant.
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Julie Andrews - Shambolic/Boring/Crap/Dull#23
Posted: 5/10/10 at 10:05am
I knew she wasn't going to be singing much, and I knew act two was bits from her book.

What I didnt expect was a tribute to Rogers and Hammerstein and a poorly produced workshop production of a new musical.

I would have been MORE than happy for the other singers and Julie to take us on a trip through her career and the music/writers that had inspired her, but no, it was just a bad R&H concert.

There was no My Fair Lady, The Boyfriend, Victor Victoria, Putting it Together..... most of the R&H songs were ones from shows Julie had never been in.

Now, as I said, I knew she couldnt sing.... yet the two highlights were "Doh, a dear" where she joined in and so did the audience, and "My Funny Valentine" which was STUNNING (Think Judy Dench Send in The Clowns at Hey, Mr Producer!).

The second half was just bad, and I went in wanting to like it.... but I had to leave after 15mins of it. just atrocious!

It wasnt that i was annoyed, i was more upset that this had been allowed to happen. The producers should have had more belief and faith that we wanted to see Julie. That's why we paid up to 100 a ticket!

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Julie Andrews - Shambolic/Boring/Crap/Dull#24
Posted: 5/10/10 at 2:41pm
Timescales:
Show announced last September.
Bookings open November.
Show sold out within 2 weeks!
All quiet until a few weeks prior to the show itself and THEN the little, very quiet excuses come into the papers and interviews.
A lot of money in the pot PLUS interest!
Still a total rip off.
I've been told how to apply for a refund and that is what Im doing (keeping the program tho! haha)

STOP! THEIF!
Thats my 110 in that bag!

Julie Andrews - Shambolic/Boring/Crap/Dull
Updated On: 5/10/10 at 02:41 PM