Page: 1

Sweet Charity - The Americans dont like

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1015446&dt=12&boardid=1

Oh dear, our American pals dont like the look of the London Sweet Charity (Its all fugly and ickie lol)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A couple of the usual suspects on there, how can they judge a show by watching a video clip, I just don't know?

I have not posted a opinion on here for Sweet Charity, just off now to watch the video clip now.

Hard for me to see theatre at the moment, as have to get up too early (5am) for work, but might bunk off to see Sweet Charity Thursday afternoon, still got Hair on my radar to see, but not in a rush.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Most of that lot need to get a life. I often think when I see some sad lonely soul pass me on the streets here if one of them maybe one of our usual suspects?
Shame they wernt on Times Square!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To be honest, I love Menier productions and I love Sweet Charity. I was not able to get a ticket for the Menier production but the production pixs did put me off quite a bit. It did quite cheap. But I'm sure the actual production is great (i've heard NOTHING but great stuff from friends who's seen it) but the production shots are really not attractive at all ~
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually, if those photos and that video were all I had to go on, I probably wouldn't buy a ticket. Or I'd need a LOT of convincing to go (I've never been a big Sweet Charity fan, but Applegate was worth catching the Broadway revival). If the production has truly improved at Haymarket, it needs to be marketed a lot better.

But then, I adored La Cage at the Playhouse.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw SC at the Choc factory back in February and it's far and away the best production of the show I've ever seen - beautifully understated, really getting to the core of the piece and the bittersweet ending was both poignant and very powerful. All the performances were out of the top drawer, particularly Josefina Gabrielle, Mark Umbers and the awesome Tamsin Outhwaite.

It will be a serious tragedy if this does not have a lengthy West End run purely through poor marketting - though why anyone would decide whether or not to see any show purely on the basis of a video clip totally baffles me.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Ive seen it @both venues and each time Ive said I really, really dislike the design! Its ugly, and cheap, and mis-matched in a bad way..... its like they just got all the could cobble together and threw it onstage! big fail. The production is OK..... definatley not one of my faves (even though Charity IS one of my fave scores/shows!)

x
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I doubt very much that the ticket buying public come on to these sites to view a promotional video and buy a ticket based on what they have seen.

I agree with chrissydee. The photos I have seen of this production (transfer) of CHARITY do look pretty poor/cheap. I can't help but wonder that what looked good in a small venue, when moved to a larger stage it looks cobbled together as if to cheaply fill the stage.

While I like SWEET CHARITY I don't think it stands up particularly well in revival. It isn't as strong as some other musicals of its era. Do the general public really want to
see this in numbers to make the move to a larger house viable? I doubt it. I don't think it will get a run to rival NIGHT MUSIC or LA CAGE.
Updated On: 5/5/10 at 06:51 AM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
though why anyone would decide whether or not to see any show purely on the basis of a video clip totally baffles me.

In the case of a West End or Broadway production, the visual is sometimes quite essential, especially when deciding on whether to spend your money on another revival of a grade B musical, known for its choreography. I did NOT want to waste my money on another production of La Cage when I never enjoyed it before, but after seeing the video and discovering a star I like would be in the show, I decided to go and I'm glad I did. I adored it. Unfortunately, nothing I've seen about this revival of Charity has me interested in seeing it again. I've heard good things about it, so there might be something there that I'm missing, but not enough to make me spend money on it.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian