Page: 1

Educating Rita

TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Educating Rita#1
Posted: 4/30/10 at 3:38pm
I went to one part of the Willy Russell double-header at the Menier Chocolate Factory last week (I'm seeing the second part - Shirley Valentine - next week). It's been an age since I saw either film and have never seen either performed on stage before, but this production really brought back fond memories of certain times / places / social norms.

I think Laura dos Santos gives a thoroughly charming and eye-catching performance as Rita, frustrated hairdresser-turned-opinionated student, and Larry Lamb provides an engaging (albeit ultimately ineffective) foil as the dis-shevelled Frank.

A few observations:

Sonia Friedman was in attendance at the performance I went to; what chance a Menier play transferring to the West End after their amazing track record of musical successes??

I liked the attention to detail given to the set (real books everywhere!) and heartily approve of the new comfier seating at the Menier. Educating Rita

I indulged in the hand-cut chips before the show (mini railway sleepers!) but might have to take a chance on the Scouse stew next week. Educating Rita
Seen some shows in my time....
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Educating Rita#2
Posted: 4/30/10 at 3:52pm
I'm no good at judging whether shows would be successful in the West End or not (I had Legally Blonde down as a sure flop), but I could imagine these two working for a short season so long as they advertise well and don't overprice them. Anything lined up for the Vaudeville?
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Educating Rita#2
Posted: 5/1/10 at 5:00am
I saw both of these and they were genuinely fantastic. Smart, emotional, well performed plays, and a big score for the Menier.

As far as transfers go......iffy. As Marius pointed out, it's hard to justify charging full West End prices for a two hander and a solo show, and I think that part of the appeal is also the intimacy of the original venue. Still, stranger things have happened, and I could see an extended run in, say, Trafalgar 1 doing well.
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Educating Rita#3
Posted: 5/1/10 at 12:48pm
They charged the West End prices of their day for the original productions of both plays, which had long runs. Many one person shows or two handers have had long runs so I think it is nothing to do with how many people in a show but the quality of the play and production.
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Educating Rita#4
Posted: 5/18/10 at 6:15am
http://www.whatsonstage.com/news/theatre/london/E8831274174047/Menier+Rita+%26+Shirley+Transfer+to+Trafalgar+in+July.html

16 weeks at Trafalgar Studios from July. Tim Pigott-Smith replacing Larry Lamb. Top price appears to be 39.50 (apart from a few 55 premium seats).
Updated On: 5/18/10 at 06:15 AM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Educating Rita#5
Posted: 5/18/10 at 9:28am
Educating Rita

Educating Rita Educating Rita
Updated On: 5/18/10 at 09:28 AM