Page: 1

Good Time To Get Sondheimesque

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#1
Posted: 4/27/10 at 4:46pm
With the recent productions of A Little Night Music (Menier, Garrick and Walter kerr) and West Side Story (Sadler Wells and Palace Theatre) and Anyone Can Whistle (Jermyn Street and New York Town Hall) that has happened recently in London and still playing in New York.

And the announced productions coming up in London;

In The Woods (Regents Park Open Air)
Passion (Domnar Warehouse)
Assassins (Union Theatre)
Follies (Haymarket)

Also Sondheim on Sondheim that is playing Studio 54 in New York and hopefully will cross the Atlantic soon.

Just pointing out it is a good time to get a grounding in the much loved Sondheim by the theatre connoisseur? Just wondering if anyone has seen the past productions or planning to see the upcoming productions? Also would anyone welcome Sondheim on Sondheim coming to the West End?
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#2
Posted: 4/27/10 at 4:49pm
Not to forget the events happening at the Donmar this year besides Passion:
SONDHEIM AT THE DONMAR
Thursday 16 September 2010 at 6.00pm
Michael Grandage and Sam Mendes in conversation about staging Sondheim at the Donmar

STEPHEN SONDHEIM IN DISCUSSION
Monday 11 October 2010 at 6.00pm
Stephen Sondheim in conversation about his life and work

COMPANY
Sunday 31 October 2010 at 7.30pm
A concert performance of Sondheim's musical written in 1970

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Sunday 7 November 2010 at 7.30pm
A concert performance of Sondheim's musical written in 1981

Personally, I think Sondheim on Sondheim would be a PERFECT show for one of London's many fringe theatres!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#2
Posted: 4/27/10 at 5:57pm
I'd like SoS to transfer too.

I've got tickets booked for Passion and Into The Woods, and intend checking out a whole lot more as well. I reckon the Donmar concerts will be good.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#3
Posted: 4/27/10 at 6:15pm
Scrippsy! If we are both successful in getting tickets for the concerts (I'm only planning on Company and Merrily myself; curse my bank balance!), I insist we drink tea in the vicinity of each other either before or after!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#4
Posted: 4/27/10 at 6:17pm
The way it's conceived - with a pretty elaborate set and multiple screens for the Sondheim interview film clips etc that are intertwined with the songs - SOS is not really a Fringe show. It would need a West End house.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#5
Posted: 4/27/10 at 6:50pm
Im really wondering how they will be doing tickets to the Sondheim shows in concert at the Donmar. There is bound to be mega demand for the tickets.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#6
Posted: 4/27/10 at 6:56pm
Whoops - how remiss of me on my introduction, I failed to mention the multi award winning Sunday in the Park With George at the Menier and Wyncham and would of achieved the same status in New York if it was not for a stunning revival of South Pacific. Also Gypsy that played the St James and rumoured to come over?

Sondheim on Sondheim has only got limited appeal in New York especially with the mixed reviews it got, so will not be around forever. No point in wasting a good set, so might as well ship it over here, we certainly got the talent here and Katherine Evans as the diva springs to mind for some reason, we also have the theatres here and The Barbican Centre, seems to make sense to me.
Updated On: 4/27/10 at 06:56 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#7
Posted: 4/27/10 at 7:05pm
"Im really wondering how they will be doing tickets to the Sondheim shows in concert at the Donmar. There is bound to be mega demand for the tickets."

It is a good way to gauge the demand for tickets, if the demand is overwhelming it might be able to go into the Royal Albert Hall or if the demand is good but not amazing it could go to The Coliseum, I am sure they can accommodate as you seem to have intervals in ballet, failing that it could go in one of London's bigger theatres for a special Sunday performances, but if the demand is not there I am afraid it would have to be Scripp's, but living room. But it is all IF's
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#8
Posted: 4/28/10 at 2:26am
...plus the Donmar has a friends club which could mean tix may well not get to sale to the public..
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#9
Posted: 4/28/10 at 5:24am
I've been thinking about this too. unfortunately i can't make any of the concerts, but i'm pretty much foaming at the mouth at the prospect of going to see the mighty one in discussion on oct 11th. How do you reckon tickets will be allocated for this? The tickets for that nights performance of Passion sold out before it went on sale to Joe Public, so i've probably not got a cat in hells chance have i? Good Time To Get Sondheimesque
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#10
Posted: 4/28/10 at 5:52am
They may just go on public sale and not to friends, or it will be a premium event with tickets priced in the 100's to put off majority of people
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Good Time To Get Sondheimesque#11
Posted: 4/28/10 at 7:43am
'tickets priced in the 100's'?

i'm gay but not that bloody gay!