And They Are Off Proper - For The New York Award Season + Tony Noms Added

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Proper I mean after Next to Normal most deserved accolade of The Pulitzer.

Brother and sister Broadway stars Hunter Foster and Tony winner Sutton Foster announced the nominees for the 60th annual Outer Critics Circle Awards — which honor the best in Broadway and Off-Broadway theatre — April 26 at the Algonquin Hotel.

The new Broadway musical Memphis and the recent revival of The Royal Family each earned seven nominations a piece, the most of any production of the season.

Nominees follow:

Outstanding New Broadway Play
Next Fall
Red
Superior Donuts
Time Stands Still

Outstanding New Broadway Musical
American Idiot
Come Fly Away
Fela!
Memphis
Sondheim on Sondheim

Outstanding New Off-Broadway Play
Clybourne Park
The Orphans' Home Cycle
The Pride
The Temperamentals

Outstanding New Off-Broadway Musical
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
The Scottsboro Boys
Tin Pan Alley Rag
Yank!

Outstanding New Score (Broadway or Off-Broadway)
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
Memphis
The Scottsboro Boys
Yank!

Outstanding Revival of a Play (Broadway or Off-Broadway)
Fences
Lend Me a Tenor
The Royal Family
A View from the Bridge

Outstanding Revival of a Musical (Broadway or Off-Broadway)
La Cage aux Folles
Finian's Rainbow
A Little Night Music
Promises, Promises

Outstanding Director of a Play
Dough Huges, The Royal Family
Kenny Leon, Fences
Stanley Tucci, Lend Me a Tenor
Michael Wilson, The Orphans' Home Cycle

Outstanding Director of a Musical
Christopher Ashley, Memphis
Terry Johnson, La Cage aux Folles
Susan Stroman, The Scottsboro Boys
Alex Timbers, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson

Outstanding Choreographer
Rob Ashford Promises, Promises
Bill T. Jones Fela!
Susan Stroman The Scottsboro Boys
Sergio Trujillo Memphis

Outstanding Set Design (Play or Musical)
John Lee Beatty The Royal Family
Beowulf Boritt Sondheim on Sondheim
Phelim McDermott & Julian Crouch The Addams Family
Donyale Werle Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson

Outstanding Costume Design (Play or Musical)
Jane Greenwood Present Laughter
Martin Pakledinaz Lend Me a Tenor
Matthew Wright La Cage aux Folles
Catherine Zuber The Royal Family

Outstanding Lighting Design (Play or Musical)
Kevin Adams American Idiot
Kevin Adams The Scottsboro Boys
Ken Billington Sondheim on Sondheim
Justin Townsend Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson

Outstanding Actor in a Play
Bill Heck The Orphans' Home Cycle
Jude Law Hamlet
Live Schreiber A View from the Bridge
Christopher Walken A Behanding in Spokane
Denzel Washington Fences

Outstanding Actress in a Play
Nina Arianda Venus in Fur
Laura Benanti In the Next Room, or the vibrator play
Viola Davis Fences
Laura Linney Time Stands Still
Jan Maxwell The Royal Family

Outstanding Actor in a Musical
Brandon Victor Dixon The Scottsboro Boys
Sean Hayes Promises, Promises
Douglas Hodge La Cage aux Folles
Chad Kimball Memphis
Nathan Lane The Addams Family

Outstanding Actress in a Musical
Kate Baldwin Finian's Rainbow
Barbara Cook Sondheim on Sondheim
Montego Glover Memphis
Bebe Neuwirth The Addams Family
Catherine Zeta-Jones A Little Night Music

Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play
James DeMarse The Orphans' Home Cycle
Jon Michael Hill Superior Donuts
David Pittu Equivocation
Noah Robbins Brighton Beach Memoirs
Reg Rogers The Royal Family

Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play
Hallie Foote The Orphans' Home Cycle
Rosemary Harris The Royal Family
Marin Ireland A Lie of the Mind
Jan Maxwell Lend Me a Tenor
Alicia Silverstone Time Stands Still

Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical
Kevin Chamberlin The Addams Family
Christopher Fitzgerald Finian's Rainbow
Levi Kreis Million Dollar Quartet
Dick Latessa Promises, Promises
Bobby Steggert Ragtime

Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical
Carolee Carmello The Addams Family
Katie Finneran Promises, Promises
Angela Lansbury A Little Night Music
Cass Morgan Memphis
Terri White Finian's Rainbow

Outstanding Solo Performance
Jim Brochu Zero Hour
Carrie Fisher Wishful Drinking
Judith Ivey The Lady With All the Answers
Anna Deveare Smith Let Me Down Easy

John Gassner Award (for American play, preferably by a new playwright)
John Logan Red
Jon Marans The Temperamentals
Geoffrey Nauffts Next Fall
Bruce Norris Clybourne Park

Here is the nomination tally for shows that received three or more nominations: Memphis (7), The Royal Family (7), The Scottsboro Boys (6), The Addams Family (5), Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (5), The Orphans' Home Cycle (5), Promises, Promises (5), Fences (4), Finian's Rainbow (4), La Cage aux Folles (4), Lend Me a Tenor (4), Sondheim on Sondheim (4), A Little Night Music (3) and Time Stands Still (3).

Updated On: 5/4/10 at 02:00 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Interesting. But for me, two staggering omissions: no nomination for Bobby Steggert in Yank (the best performance I saw by anyone in my recent NYC trip) - though he did get one for Ragtime. And no nomination for Stephen Hoggett's choreography in American Idiot (that is nothing short of insane - it was breathtaking).

Plus I'm surpised at no nomination for Kristin - certainly deserved it ahead of Bebe Nieuworth (not that Bebe was bad at all, just thought Kristin was better).
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Im shocked American Idiot was snubbed for set as well since it looks fantastic. Bebe and Cheno (as much as i love her) dont deserve awards this time around.

Its sad Enron is not nominated as well
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think Memphis could be a dark horse this year! I think it will definitely win score (pretty much because nothing else is really eligible).
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think you may be right, Mark, about Memphis being fav for best score at the Tonys. But with the Outer Critics Circle where Off-Broadway shows compete alongside Broadway shows I think Scottsboro Boys seems to be the out-and-out fav for Best Score. Similarly with Best Musical, Scottsboro Boys could well pick up the Outer Crtics Circle award but I think American Idiot will take the Tony.

But in 2011 I think Scottsboro Boys is likely to be THE show of the year at the Tonys after it transfers to Broadway later this year.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Im all about Yank and American Idiot at the moment so happy for them.

I think Memphis will best score becasue aint it just gonna be up against the Addams Family lol
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"Its sad Enron is not nominated as well"

ENRON doesn't open until tonight (Tuesday) so I don't think it's eligible for these awards?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The great thing about The Outer Critics Award they judge Broadway and Off Broadway on a equal footing, think these are the only awards to do that?

Yeap............... American Idiot is not nominated for best set design and neither should it, as it was vary static, neither did Memphis get nominated that was more deserving of the best set.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom are you drunk?

The American Idiot set design was brilliant. Just because a set is static does not put a negative marlk against it. All the critics have commented how brilliant the set design is.

Oh and Enron was eligable
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Having a cup of my after supper - Earl Grey darling.

No American Idiot does not deserve the best set design, it is a very good set design with television all over the back and sides also scaffolding on wheels, this is not enough for best scenic design and as I said its static, also why have a shopping trolley hanging down from the fly area with a television in it? I just didn't get that one.

Now if you said to me American Idiot deserve a given award for best lighting I would 100% agree with you.

I seem to get the impression with awards and this is not aimed at you SADM2 that because a individual enjoyed a given show (play or musical) the best, they then are inclined to automatically tick every box the show is nominated for and not judge a show on its individual merits.

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey ive got my predictions coming out on What's on Stage tommoz and you will find the shows i think will get nominations for the Tony's are very fair. I dont base things on what i like, but what i think is getting the buzz, the press, the reviews etc
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm afraid I have to agree with SADM on this one, Phantom - I thought the American Idiot set design was mindblowingly brilliant. I'll remember the image of that set long after most others have disappeared into the deep recess of my mind. It was unique, visually stimulating and - most importantly - totally apposite for the show, creating the perfect backdrop and tone for the piece.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Even so SADM2, a musical maybe one of the worst shows you have seen in many years, had awful press and no buzz but the show happens to have amazing choreography, this should not exclude a show form winning the award for best choreography. I know you know what I mean by this?

Good point about the Tony's, out of all the theatre awards both here and Broadway these have the best award structure? However The Tony's can be a bit self promoting as the panel (mainly producers) have a vested interest in certain shows they put there money in?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Even so SADM2, a musical maybe one of the worst shows you have seen in many years, had awful press and no buzz but the show happens to have amazing choreography, this should not exclude a show form winning the award for best choreography. I know you know what I mean by this? "

lol i swear you think im new to theatre lol
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nope, think you have an excellent knowledge of theatre, a lot better than mine and always enjoy your opinions but think the points I made are very good and valid.

But what makes a great set design?

I am happy to go along with American Idiot winning best lighting, even best choreography, for that stunning piece of aerial choreography - even best musical, which is very likely with the great reviews this show got, but definitely not best set.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For me a great set is something that enhances a production without distratcing, it tells a story and creates an atmosphere that allows the piece to play out in an organic way. To me the set of American Idiot perfectly says youth in limbo, been lost, careless and feeling small in a large world etc. That's what makes the set design great.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the point above is a great one and put over very well and American Idiot does represents what you illustrated.

However as much as I liked American Idiot and I did say a month ago when I saw it on here, it has Tony written all over it and I enjoyed the show awarding it **** stars, I think there is more deserving for best set design.

This show will go on and win the Tony for the best musical, which would be very undeserving IMO. The musical only got great praise as this show is the direction theatre people want to take shows now, in context the material was written six years ago and does not have a cohesive story like Spring Awakening that came out of the same stable.

Another issue I have with American Idiot being bestowed accolades is that it will set up a president in theatre, that will inspire over eager producers to look at past band recordings and try and morph a storyline, I would hate it if we end up with Broadway and West End with musicals based on albums, for example Rolling Stones, Beatles or Pink Floyd etc that last in the region of 90 minutes, even though I love the bands I mentioned I demand something more creative for my money. With American Idiot we could start a uncontrolled band wagon that could be detrimental to the creative art of theatre.

Now don't get me started on jukebox or tribute musicals.......
Updated On: 4/27/10 at 08:21 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Drama Critics Award, now I thought our political system was complex?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Drama_Critics_Circle_Who_Voted_for_What_20010101
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol, i know, its head scratching isnt it
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So, based on the logic of what they did about the award for Best Musical, if next Thursday none of the parties achieve the required number of seats, the country will choose not to have a government at all. LOL
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Outstanding Ensemble Performances
This year the nominators chose to bestow special ensemble awards for acting to the casts of two shows. (Therefore, individual cast members for these shows were not eligible for acting awards in the competitive categories.)

• Circle Mirror Transformation
• The Temperamentals

Special Awards:
Each year, the Drama Desk votes special awards to recognize excellence and significant contributions to the theatre.

• To the cast, creative team and producers of Horton Foote’s epic The Orphans' Home Cycle: "We salute the breadth of vision, which inspired the exceptional direction, performances, sets, lighting, costumes, music and sound that made it the theatrical event of this season."

• To Jerry Herman "for enchanting and dazzling audiences with his exuberant music and heartfelt lyrics for more than half a century."

• To Godlight Theatre Company for "consistent originality and excellence in dramatizing modern literature, and especially for the vibrant theatricality of its innovative productions."

• To Ma-Yi Theater Company for "more than two decades of excellence and for nurturing Asian-American voices in stylistically varied and engaging theater."

Nominations for the competitive categories follow:

Outstanding Play:
Alan Ayckbourn, My Wonderful Day
Annie Baker, Circle Mirror Transformation
Lucinda Coxon, Happy Now?
John Logan, Red
Geoffrey Nauffts, Next Fall
Bruce Norris, Clybourne Park

Outstanding Musical:
American Idiot
Everyday Rapture
Memphis
The Addams Family
The Scottsboro Boys
Yank!

Outstanding Revival of a Play:
A View from the Bridge
Brighton Beach Memoirs
Fences
Hamlet
So Help Me God!
The Boys in the Band

Outstanding Revival of a Musical:
A Little Night Music
Finian's Rainbow
La Cage Aux Folles
Promises, Promises
Ragtime

Outstanding Actor in a Play:
Bill Heck, The Orphans' Home Cycle
Jude Law, Hamlet
Alfred Molina, Red
Eddie Redmayne, Red
Liev Schreiber, A View from the Bridge
John Douglas Thompson, The Emperor Jones
Christopher Walken, A Behanding in Spokane

Outstanding Actress in a Play:
Ayesha Antoine, My Wonderful Day
Melissa Errico, Candida
Anne Hathaway, Twelfth Night
Kristen Johnston, So Help Me God!
Laura Linney, Time Stands Still
Jan Maxwell, The Royal Family

Outstanding Actor in a Musical:
Brandon Victor Dixon, The Scottsboro Boys
Douglas Hodge, La Cage Aux Folles
Cheyenne Jackson, Finian's Rainbow
Chad Kimball, Memphis
Nathan Lane, The Addams Family
Bobby Steggert, Yank!

Outstanding Actress in a Musical:
Kate Baldwin, Finian's Rainbow
Montego Glover, Memphis
Jayne Houdyshell, Coraline
Christiane Noll, Ragtime
Sherie Rene Scott, Everyday Rapture
Catherine Zeta-Jones, A Little Night Music

Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play:
Chris Chalk, Fences
Sean Dugan, Next Fall
Santino Fontana, Brighton Beach Memoirs
Adam James, The Pride
Hamish Linklater, Twelfth Night
Nick Westrate, The Boys in the Band

Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play:
Victoria Clark, When the Rain Stops Falling
Viola Davis, Fences
Xanthe Elbrick, Candida
Mary Beth Hurt, When the Rain Stops Falling
Scarlett Johansson, A View from the Bridge
Andrea Riseborough, The Pride

Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical:
Kevin Chamberlin, The Addams Family
Robin De Jesus, La Cage Aux Folles
Jeffry Denman, Yank!
Christopher Fitzgerald, Finian's Rainbow
Jeremy Morse, Bloodsong of Love
Bobby Steggert, Ragtime

Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical:
Carolee Carmello, The Addams Family
Carrie Cimma, Lizzie Borden
Katie Finneran, Promises, Promises
Angela Lansbury, A Little Night Music
Kenita Miller, Langston in Harlem
Terri White, Finian's Rainbow

Outstanding Director of a Play:
Jonathan Bank, So Help Me God!
Jack Cummings III, The Boys in the Band
Sam Gold, Circle Mirror Transformation
Michael Grandage, Hamlet
Michael Grandage, Red
Ethan Hawke, A Lie of the Mind

Outstanding Director of a Musical:
Warren Carlyle, Finian's Rainbow
Marcia Milgrom Dodge, Ragtime
Igor Goldin, Yank!
Terry Johnson, La Cage Aux Folles
Michael Mayer, American Idiot

Outstanding Choreography:
Warren Carlyle, Finian's Rainbow
Lynne Page, La Cage Aux Folles
Twyla Tharp, Come Fly Away
Sergio Trujillo, Memphis

Outstanding Music:
David Bryan, Memphis
Michael Friedman, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
Joe Iconis, Bloodsong of Love
John Kander & Fred Ebb, The Scottsboro Boys
Andrew Lippa, The Addams Family
Joseph Zellnik, Yank!

Outstanding Lyrics:
Rick Crom, Newsical The Musical
Kevin Del Aguila, Click, Clack, Moo
John Kander & Fred Ebb, The Scottsboro Boys
Dillie Keane and Adèle Anderson, Fascinating Aïda Absolutely Miraculous!
Andrew Lippa, The Addams Family
David Zellnik, Yank!

Outstanding Book of a Musical:
Joe DiPietro, Memphis
Joe Iconis, Bloodsong of Love
Dick Scanlan & Sherie Rene Scott, Everyday Rapture
David Thompson, The Scottsboro Boys
Alex Timbers, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
David Zellnik, Yank!

Outstanding Orchestrations:
William David Brohn, Ragtime
Larry Hochman, The Scottsboro Boys
Tom Kitt, American Idiot
Tom Kitt, Everyday Rapture
John Oddo, All About Me
Daryl Waters & David Bryan, Memphis

Outstanding Musical Revue:
Fascinating Aïda Absolutely Miraculous!
Million Dollar Quartet
Newsical The Musical
Simon Green: Traveling Light
Sondheim on Sondheim,/b>

Outstanding Music in a Play:
Adam Cochran, A Play on War
Adam Cork, Red
Gaines, A Lie of the Mind
Philip Glass, The Bacchae
Hem, Twelfth Night
Branford Marsalis, Fences

Outstanding Set Design:
Sandra Goldmark, The Boys in the Band
Phelim McDermott, Julian Crouch & Basil Twist, The Addams Family
Derek McLane, Ragtime
Christopher Oram, Red
Jay Rohloff, Underground
Karen Tennent, Hansel and Gretel

Outstanding Costume Design:
Antonia Ford-Roberts & Bob Flanagan, The Emperor Jones
Santo Loquasto, Ragtime
Clint Ramos, So Help Me God!
Bobby Frederick Tilley II, Lizzie Borden
Matthew Wright, La Cage Aux Folles
David Zinn, In the Next Room or the vibrator play

Outstanding Lighting Design:
Neil Austin, Hamlet
Neil Austin, Red
Christian M. DeAngelis, Lizzie Borden
Maruti Evans, John Ball's In the Heat of the Night
Natasha Katz, The Addams Family
Dane Laffrey, The Boys in the Band

Outstanding Sound Design in a Musical:
Acme Sound Partners, Ragtime
Jonathan Deans, La Cage Aux Folles
Ashley Hanson, Kurt Eric Fischer & Brian Ronan, Everyday Rapture
Peter Hylenski, The Scottsboro Boys
Scott Lehrer, Finian's Rainbow
Brian Ronan, Promises, Promises

Outstanding Sound Design in a Play:
Dan Bianchi & Wes Shippee, Frankenstein
Dale Bigall, Underground
Adam Cork, Enron
Lindsay Jones, Top Secret: The Battle for the Pentagon Papers
Fitz Patton, When the Rain Stops Falling
Elizabeth Rhodes, John Ball's In the Heat of the Night

Outstanding Solo Performance:
Theodore Bikel, Sholom Aleichem: Laughter Through Tears
Jim Brochu, Zero Hour
Colman Domingo, A Boy and his Soul
Carrie Fisher, Wishful Drinking
Judith Ivey, The Lady With All the Answers
Anna Deavere Smith, Let Me Down Easy

Unique Theatrical Experience:
Charles L. Mee's Fêtes de la Nuit
Hansel and Gretel
John Tartaglia's Imaginocean
Love, Loss, and What I Wore
Stuffed and Unstrung
The Provenance of Beauty

Notes: The nominating committee made the following decisions related to the scope of technical award nominations: Basil Twist’s puppetry was included in the nomination for Outstanding Set Design for The Addams Family. Bob Flanagan’s puppet and mask design were included in the Outstanding Costume Design nomination for The Emperor Jones. Fela! was considered last season in its Off-Broadway premiere and received four nominations— Outstanding Musical; Sahr Ngaujah as Outstanding Actor in a Musical; Bill T. Jones for Outstanding Choreography and Aaron Johnson and Antibalas were nominated for Outstanding Orchestrations. Under Drama Desk rules, only new elements in a transfer can be considered.

PRODUCTIONS WITH MULTIPLE NOMINATIONS
Ragtime 9
The Scottsboro Boys 9
Finians’ Rainbow 8
The Addams Family 8
La Cage Aux Folles 7
Memphis 7
Red 7
Yank! 7
Everyday Rapture 5
The Boys in the Band 5
Fences 4
Hamlet 4
So Help Me God! 4
A Little Night Music 3
A View from the Bridge 3
American Idiot 3
Bloodsong of Love 3
Lizzie Borden 3
Promises, Promises 3
Twelfth Night 3
When the Rain Stops Falling 3
A Lie of the Mind 2
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson 2
Brighton Beach Memoirs 2
Candida 2
Circle Mirror Transformation 2
Fascinating Aïda Absolutely Miraculous! 2
Hansel and Gretel 2
John Ball's In the Heat of the Night 2
My Wonderful Day 2
Newsical The Musical 2
Next Fall 2
The Emperor Jones 2
The Pride 2
Underground 2

The 2009-10 Nominating Committee includes chairperson Barbara Siegel, TalkinBroadway.com, Theatermania.com; Christopher Byrne, Gay City News; Patrick Christiano, Dan's Papers, Theaterlife.com; David Kaufman, freelance author; Gerard Raymond, Backstage, The Advocate; Richard Ridge, Broadway Beat TV; and Paulanne Simmons, CurtainUp.com and NYTheatre-wire.com.

This is my pick, warm up to the Tony's, most shows I haven't seen, but only judged on what I have seen.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Glee" and Spring Awakening star Lea Michele and God of Carnage's Jeff Daniels announced the nominations for the 64th Annual Tony Awards May 4 at the The New York Public Library for Performing Arts.

Advertisement

The new musical Fela!, which began life Off-Broadway, and the revival of La Cage aux Folles, earned 11 nominations a piece, the most of any production of the season.

The Tony Awards will be broadcast in a live three-hour ceremony from Radio City Music Hall on CBS June 13. For more information, visit www.TonyAwards.com.

Nominees for the 64th Annual Tony Awards follow:

Best Play
In the Next Room or the Vibrator Play
Author: Sarah Ruhl
Producers: Lincoln Center Theater, André Bishop, Bernard Gersten

Next Fall
Author: Geoffrey Nauffts
Producers: Elton John and David Furnish, Barbara Manocherian, Richard Willis, Tom Smedes, Carole L. Haber/Chase Mishkin, Ostar, Anthony Barrile, Michael Palitz, Bob Boyett, James Spry/Catherine Schreiber, Probo Productions, Roy Furman, Naked Angels

Red
Author: John Logan
Producers: Arielle Tepper Madover, Stephanie P. McClelland, Matthew Byam Shaw, Neal Street, Fox Theatricals, Ruth Hendel/Barbara Whitman, Philip Hagemann/Murray Rosenthal, The Donmar Warehouse

Time Stands Still
Author: Donald Margulies
Producers: Manhattan Theatre Club, Lynne Meadow, Barry Grove, Nelle Nugent/Wendy Federman

Best Musical
American Idiot
Producers: Tom Hulce & Ira Pittelman, Ruth and Steven Hendel, Vivek J. Tiwary and Gary Kaplan, Aged in Wood and Burnt Umber, Scott Delman, Latitude Link, HOP Theatricals and Jeffrey Finn, Larry Welk, Bensinger Filerman and Moellenberg Taylor, Allan S. Gordon/Elan V. McAllister, Berkeley Repertory Theatre, Awaken Entertainment, John Pinckard and John Domo

Fela!
Producers: Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter and Will & Jada Pinkett Smith, Ruth & Stephen Hendel, Roy Gabay, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Edward Tyler Nahem, Slava Smolokowski, Chip Meyrelles/Ken Greiner, Douglas G. Smith, Steve Semlitz/Cathy Glaser, Daryl Roth/True Love Productions, Susan Dietz/Mort Swinsky, Knitting Factory Entertainment, Alicia Keys

Memphis
Producers: Junkyard Dog Productions, Barbara and Buddy Freitag, Marleen and Kenny Alhadeff, Latitude Link, Jim and Susan Blair, Demos Bizar Entertainment, Land Line Productions, Apples and Oranges Productions, Dave Copley, Dancap Productions, Inc., Alex and Katya Lukianov, Tony Ponturo, 2 Guys Productions, Richard Winkler, Lauren Doll, Eric and Marsi Gardiner, Linda and Bill Potter, Broadway Across America, Jocko Productions, Patty Baker, Dan Frishwasser, Bob Bartner/Scott and Kaylin Union, Loraine Boyle/Chase Mishkin, Remmel T. Dickinson/Memphis Orpheum Group, ShadowCatcher Entertainment/Vijay and Sita Vashee

Million Dollar Quartet
Producers: Relevant Theatricals, John Cossette Productions, American Pop Anthology, Broadway Across America, James L. Nederlander

Best Book of a Musical
Everyday Rapture
Dick Scanlan and Sherie Rene Scott

Fela!
Jim Lewis & Bill T. Jones

Memphis
Joe DiPietro

Million Dollar Quartet
Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux

Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre
The Addams Family
Music & Lyrics: Andrew Lippa

Enron
Music: Adam Cork
Lyrics: Lucy Prebble

Fences
Music: Branford Marsalis

Memphis
Music: David Bryan
Lyrics: Joe DiPietro, David Bryan

Best Revival of a Play
Fences
Producers: Carole Shorenstein Hays and Scott Rudin

Lend Me a Tenor
Producers: The Araca Group, Stuart Thompson, Carl Moellenberg, Rodney Rigby, Olympus Theatricals, Broadway Across America, The Shubert Organization, Wendy Federman/Jamie deRoy/Richard Winkler, Lisa Cartwright, Spring Sirkin, Scott and Brian Zeilinger

The Royal Family
Producers: Manhattan Theatre Club, Lynne Meadow, Barry Grove

A View from the Bridge
Producers: Stuart Thompson, The Araca Group, Jeffrey Finn, Broadway Across America, Olympus Theatricals, Marisa Sechrest, The Weinstein Company, Jon B. Platt, Sonia Friedman Productions/Robert G. Bartner, Mort Swinsky/Joseph Deitch, Adam Zotovich/Ruth Hendel/Orin Wolf, Shelter Island Enterprises, The Shubert Organization

Best Revival of a Musical
Finian's Rainbow
Producers: David Richenthal, Jack Viertel, Alan D. Marks, Michael Speyer, Bernard Abrams, David M. Milch, Stephen Moore, Debbie Bisno/Myla Lerner, Jujamcyn Theaters, Melly Garcia, Jamie deRoy, Jon Bierman, Richard Driehaus, Kevin Spirtas, Jay Binder, StageVentures 2009 Limited Partnership

La Cage aux Folles
Producers: Sonia Friedman Productions, David Babani, Barry and Fran Weissler and Edwin W. Schloss, Bob Bartner/Norman Tulchin, Broadway Across America, Matthew Mitchell, Raise The Roof 4 Richard Winkler/Bensinger Taylor/Laudenslager Bergrère, Arelene Scanlan/John O'Boyle, Independent Presenters Network, Olympus Theatricals, Allen Spivak, Jerry Frankel/Bat-Barry Productions, Nederlander Presentations, Inc/Harvey Weinstein, Menier Chocolate Factory

A Little Night Music
Producers: Tom Viertel, Steven Baruch, Marc Routh, Richard Frankel, The Menier Chocolate Factory, Roger Berlind, David Babani, Sonia Friedman Productions, Andrew Fell, Daryl Roth/Jane Bergere, Harvey Weinstein/Raise the Roof 3, Beverly Bartner/Dancap Productions, Inc., Nica Burns/Max Weitzenhoffer, Eric Falkenstein/Anna Czekaj, Jerry Frankel/Ronald Frankel, James D. Stern/Douglas L. Meyer

Ragtime
Producers: Kevin McCollum, Roy Furman, Scott Delman, Roger Berlind, Max Cooper, Tom Kirdahy/Devin Elliott, Jeffrey A. Sine, Stephanie P. McClelland, Roy Miller, Lams Productions, Jana Robbins, Sharon Karmazin, Eric Falkenstein/Morris Berchard, RialtoGals Productions, Independent Presenters Network, Held-Haffner Productions, HRH Foundation, Emanuel Azenberg, The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Michael Kaiser, Max Woodward

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play
Jude Law, Hamlet
Alfred Molina, Red
Liev Schreiber, A View from the Bridge
Christopher Walken, A Behanding in Spokane
Denzel Washington, Fences

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play
Viola Davis, Fences
Valerie Harper, Looped
Linda Lavin, Collected Stories
Laura Linney, Time Stands Still
Jan Maxwell, The Royal Family

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical
Kelsey Grammer, La Cage aux Folles
Sean Hayes, Promises, Promises
Douglas Hodge, La Cage aux Folles
Chad Kimball, Memphis
Sahr Ngaujah, Fela!

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical
Kate Baldwin, Finian's Rainbow
Montego Glover, Memphis
Christiane Noll, Ragtime
Sherie Rene Scott, Everyday Rapture
Catherine Zeta-Jones, A Little Night Music

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play
David Alan Grier, Race
Stephen McKinley Henderson, Fences
Jon Michael Hill, Superior Donuts
Stephen Kunken, Enron
Eddie Redmayne, Red

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play
Maria Dizzia, In the Next Room or the Vibrator Play
Rosemary Harris, The Royal Family
Jessica Hecht, A View from the Bridge
Scarlett Johansson, A View from the Bridge
Jan Maxwell, Lend Me a Tenor

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical
Kevin Chamberlin, The Addams Family
Robin De Jesús, La Cage aux Folles
Christopher Fitzgerald, Finian's Rainbow
Levi Kreis, Million Dollar Quartet
Bobby Steggert, Ragtime

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical
Barbara Cook, Sondheim on Sondheim
Katie Finneran, Promises, Promises
Angela Lansbury, A Little Night Music
Karine Plantadit, Come Fly Away
Lillias White, Fela!

Best Scenic Design of a Play
John Lee Beatty, The Royal Family
Alexander Dodge, Present Laughter
Santo Loquasto, Fences
Christopher Oram, Red

Best Scenic Design of a Musical
Marina Draghici, Fela!
Christine Jones, American Idiot
Derek McLane, Ragtime
Tim Shortall, La Cage aux Folles

Best Costume Design of a Play
Martin Pakledinaz, Lend Me a Tenor
Constanza Romero, Fences
David Zinn, In the Next Room or the Vibrator Play
Catherine Zuber, The Royal Family

Best Costume Design of a Musical
Marina Draghici, Fela!
Santo Loquasto, Ragtime
Paul Tazewell, Memphis
Matthew Wright, La Cage aux Folles

Best Lighting Design of a Play
Neil Austin, Hamlet
Neil Austin, Red
Mark Henderson, Enron
Brian MacDevitt, Fences

Best Lighting Design of a Musical
Kevin Adams, American Idiot
Donald Holder, Ragtime
Nick Richings, La Cage aux Folles
Robert Wierzel, Fela!

Best Sound Design of a Play
Acme Sound Partners, Fences
Adam Cork, Enron
Adam Cork, Red
Scott Lehrer, A View from the Bridge

Best Sound Design of a Musical
Jonathan Deans, La Cage aux Folles
Robert Kaplowitz, Fela!
Dan Moses Schreier and Gareth Owen, A Little Night Music
Dan Moses Schreier, Sondheim on Sondheim

Best Direction of a Play
Michael Grandage, Red
Sheryl Kaller, Next Fall
Kenny Leon, Fences
Gregory Mosher, A View from the Bridge

Best Direction of a Musical
Christopher Ashley, Memphis
Terry Johnson, La Cage aux Folles
Bill T. Jones, Fela!

Best Choreography
Rob Ashford, Promises, Promises
Bill T. Jones, Fela!
Lynne Page, La Cage aux Folles
Twyla Tharp, Come Fly Away

Best Orchestrations
Jason Carr, La Cage aux Folles
Aaron Johnson, Fela!
Jonathan Tunick, Promises, Promises
Daryl Waters & David Bryan, Memphis

Tony Nominations by Production
Fela! - 11
La Cage aux Folles - 11
Fences - 10
Memphis - 8
Ragtime - 7
Red - 7
A View from the Bridge - 6
The Royal Family - 5
Enron - 4
A Little Night Music - 4
Promises, Promises - 4
American Idiot - 3
Finian's Rainbow - 3
In the Next Room or the Vibrator Play - 3
Lend Me a Tenor - 3
Million Dollar Quartet - 3
The Addams Family - 2
Come Fly Away - 2
Everyday Rapture - 2
Hamlet - 2
Next Fall - 2
Time Stands Still - 2
A Behanding in Spokane - 1
Collected Stories - 1
Looped - 1
Present Laughter - 1
Race - 1
Superior Donuts - 1

The 2010 Tonys are presented by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing. At The Broadway League, Paul Libin is chairman, and Charlotte St. Martin is executive director. At the American Theatre Wing, Theodore S. Chapin is chairman, and Howard Sherman is executive director. For Tony Award Productions, Alan Wasser and Allan Williams of Alan Wasser Associates are the general managers.

Ricky Kirshner and Glenn Weiss of White Cherry Entertainment are executive producers of the 2010 Tony Awards. Weiss will also serve as director of the 2010 Tony Awards.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Give Douglas Hodge and Eddie Redmayne their Tonys now PLEASE!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Douglas definitely agreed.