How To Succeed On Broadway With A Really Big Star

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It has now been confirmed that Broadway will get it's second revival of the the classic musical 'How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying' in just 15 years.
Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame has now signed for the production due on stage in 2011.

This is one that London will most certainly get in a few years time.

The 1995 production with Matthew Broderick was absolutely amazing with some really spectacular staging including an office with real escalators on stage. It was meant to come to London but plans never materialized.

The original Broadway production won the 1962 Pulitzer Prize For Drama.

The only London production opened at the Shaftesbury Theatre on March 28th, 1963 and ran for 520 performances, at the time the Shaftesbury's longest ever run until 'Hair' 6 years later.
It was directed in London, as on Broadway, by Bob Fosse.
Updated On: 4/15/10 at 06:54 PM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw the 1995 revival tour in San Francisco in 1996 with Ralph Macchio (The Karate Kid). Great design unfortunately Ralph wasn't so great.

Daniel Radcliffe looks like he just been goosed in that photo.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Harry Potter" star to make Broadway musical debut

NEW YORK (Reuters) – "Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe will make his Broadway musical debut in a revival of "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" early next year, producers said on Thursday.

The 20-year-old British actor, who won rave reviews for his Broadway debut in the play "Equus" in 2008, will take up the role of J. Pierrepont Finch in the musical based on Shepherd Mead's satirical self-help book of the same name.

The musical follows Finch, a young window-cleaner who follows the advice of the self-help book and rises from the mail room to vice president of advertising at a company.

"Finch's unorthodox and morally questionable business practices jeopardize not only his career but also his romance with secretary Rosemary Pilkington," producers said in a statement.

The Tony and Pulitzer Prize-winning musical was first performed on Broadway in 1961.

Radcliffe is currently filming the eighth and final film in the "Harry Potter" series based on the seven books by author J.K. Rowling.
TimesSquareRegular Profile PhotoTimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This has been rumored for a while now - nice to see it formally announced. Radcliffe seemed to really enjoy being on Broadway, and during the Equus run, he became very involved with several Broadway charities. The rumors really went into high gear when 1)there was a reading of the show that he did, and 2)when he bought a townhouse in Greenwich Village.
2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why am I not excited?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TSR, thats why I started my post with 'It Has now been confirmed', Its been work shopped etc for almost a year now.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Didnt he complain that there were too many musicals when he was doing Equus?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
haha, ....and then he was told how big his pay cheque could be for doing a musical!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Confirmed;

Opens March 2011 at the Al Hersfeld Theatre, New York.
Rob Ashford to direct.

Expect this to open in in London within a year of the Broadway opening but, please, don't ask me to go.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Confirmed;

Opens March 2011 at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, New York.
Rob Ashford to direct.

Expect this to open in in London within a year of the Broadway opening but, please, don't ask me to go.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You really think this is a sure fire transfer for London?

I wish we would see more shows coming over from New York How To Succeed On Broadway With A Really Big Star.
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are there any pictures of the set from the last revival?
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Really excited about this. All the reports I read about Radcliffe's performance at the reading suggested that he was fantastic - and he was certainly fantastic in Equus. And I absolutely adore this score - Loesser's best IMO. This will be pretty close to top of my list of shows to see in 2011.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
^Mine too! I am already hoping for a trip to New York next summer!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One show I love to see.

Mama, you are not the only one who cannot spell Al Hirchfeld, I always have to look it up to, in fact I had to look it up again for this thread. lol
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, wasn't it so much easier when it was still called the Martin Beck Theater? lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Really looking forward to this. I thought the last revival was brilliant.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SORRY! -must be all this celebration of Spain winning and stupid amounts of vino blanco and sangria )impossible to sleep last night before 6am)!

I looked it up tonight and still got it wrong! Hahah!
Campaign starts now to rename it 'The Al'
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 7/12/10 at 08:15 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Definitely agree to rename the theatre back to the Martin Beck.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Press Release:

Daniel Radcliffe will make his Broadway musical debut as 'J. Pierrepont Finch' in a new production of the Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize-winning musical comedy 'How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying' opening at Broadway’s Al Hirschfeld Theatre.
Opening 27th Mar 2011,
Previews from 26 Feb,
Booking through to 6th Nov 2011.

Tickets go on sale to the general public on 31st Jul 2011.

Radcliffe made his Broadway debut when he starred as Alan Strang in 'Equus', which played at the Broadhurst Theatre from 5th Sep 2008 - 8th Feb 2009.
The actor made his London debut in the same production when it played in the West End earlier in 2008. Radcliffe has just completed his decade-long, critically-acclaimed performance starring as "Harry Potter" in the largest grossing franchise in motion picture history.

Directed and choreographed by Tony and Emmy Award-winner Rob Ashford, 'How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying' has a book by Abe Burrows, Jack Weinstock and Willie Gilbert, based on Shepherd Mead’s satirical self-help book of the same name and music and lyrics by Frank Loesser.

Radcliffe starred as 'J. Pierrepont Finch' in a reading of the musical in Dec 2009 in Manhattan, which Rob Ashford was attached to as director and choreographer.

Rob Ashford is director and choreographer of the current Broadway revival of 'Promises, Promises' starring Sean Hayes and Kristin Chenoweth.
He won a Tony Award for Best Choreography for 'Thoroughly Modern Millie' in 2002, and was recently awarded an Emmy Award for Outstanding Choreography for his work on the 81st Annual Academy Awards.

Further casting and full creative team still to be announced.

Following the advice of a book entitled 'How to Succeed in Business' a young window-cleaner, J. Pierrepont Finch, begins a meteoric rise from the mail-room to Vice President of Advertising at the World-Wide Wicket Company.
Finch’s unorthodox and morally-questionable business practices jeopardize not only his career but also his romance with Secretary Rosemary Pilkington.

With a score by Frank Loesser, 'How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying' songs include 'I Believe in You', 'Happy to Keep His Dinner Warm', 'The Company Way', 'Been a Long Day', 'Rosemary' and 'Brotherhood of Man'.

'How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying' is produced by Broadway Across America (John Gore, Thomas B. McGrath, Beth Williams), Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the team behind the current Broadway revival of 'Promises, Promises' starring Sean Hayes and Kristin Chenoweth.

'How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying' originally opened to critical acclaim at the 46TH Street Theatre, now Richard Rodgers, on Broadway in Oct 1961, running for 1,417 performances.
The cast starred Robert Morse as Finch, Bonnie Scott as Rosemary, Charles Nelson Reilly as Bud Frump, and Rudy Vallee as the President of the World-Wide Wicket Company.
The show won seven Tony Awards including best musical and best book, the New York Drama Critics Circle Award for best musical, a Grammy for best original cast show album, and is one of only eight musicals to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama.

In 1967, a film based on the musical was released by United Artists, with Morse and Vallee recreating their Broadway roles, with Michele Lee as 'Rosemary.'

In 1995, a revival directed by Des McAnuff starring Matthew Broderick as 'Finch' and Megan Mullally as R'osemary' ran for 548 performances at the Richard Rodgers Theatre.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know you copied and pasted the above article, so not having a pop.

I think the producers behind this production are the most shambolic in theatre business, the first few weeks are going to run at a very very heavy loss.

"Opening 27th Mar 2011,
Previews from 26 Feb,
Booking through to 6th Nov 2011.

Tickets go on sale to the general public on 31st Jul 2011."

lmao

Updated On: 7/13/10 at 10:46 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So why have a 'pop' then.
Everyone knows the dates! FFS
Would you like me to go in and correct it especially for you?
Updated On: 7/13/10 at 11:04 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not having a pop.

Look at the date when the tickets go on sale and you see the funny side.