The UK Is Closed! - Still

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed! - Still#1
Posted: 4/15/10 at 7:35am
Just saw the news and I am in a state of shock! The U.K and Northern Europe is closed to anything in and out!
I'm off to New York on Saturday- hope they find the bloody key before then. The Ba Helpline is not very helpful at the mo.
Updated On: 4/16/10 at 07:35 AM
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#2
Posted: 4/15/10 at 7:41am
At the moment, it's all due to start back up again at 6PM tonight, but whether that happens or not is a different question, the chances are there will be restricted services til end of week!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#2
Posted: 4/15/10 at 8:03am
I had a call from BA 5 mins ago and it is now lock down until 12 midnight now and will probably get worse BUT they still couldn't actually confirm my flight Saturday morning. I would rather cancel/rebook a later date than just not know!
Updated On: 4/15/10 at 08:03 AM
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
The UK Is Closed!#3
Posted: 4/15/10 at 8:09am
Lets have a lock in.

I've got a friend who has, to her dismay, found herself stuck in Florida for another day. She's heartbroken that she has to put up with wall to wall sunshine for at least another day.

Yea, right. She and a bunch of other Brits were practically having a party in the airport when she called me.

I doubt you'll find anything out from BA Mama - they don't know until the Met Office can tell them which way the wind is going to be blowing.

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#4
Posted: 4/15/10 at 8:13am
Yeah dont blame BA, they cant predict the future.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#5
Can everyone please put on their electric fans and point them all north!!!! haha!
Updated On: 4/15/10 at 08:13 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#6
And irony is, it's a beautifully sunny day!

What a nightmare!

I also hear that Twyla Tharp has been told they should avoid any high lifts in Come Fly Away tonight...
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#7
Posted: 4/15/10 at 8:16am
We are trying to work out if the haze that is drifting across Wales is a sunny day haze or the beginning of the volcanic ash making its way down.
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
The UK Is Closed!#8
Posted: 4/15/10 at 8:19am
We are trying to work out if the haze that is drifting across Wales is a sunny day haze or the beginning of the volcanic ash making its way down.

I'm looking at the same thing Mama. Weather experts say no, it's not ash, but it is certainly odd looking.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#9
Posted: 4/15/10 at 8:21am
Yes, any other time you would say its a lovely hazy crazy day of summer but yes this looks a little weird.
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
The UK Is Closed!#10
Posted: 4/15/10 at 8:23am
I love how everyone has suddenly become interested in clouds. I was in town this morning and people were all stopping and looking up and saying 'Does that look like normal cloud to you?' and then spouting out types of cloud that they think it could be.

lovely hazy crazy day of summer

Do we seriously have those in Wales? The UK Is Closed!

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#11
Posted: 4/15/10 at 8:31am
I've been home the last 3 days and I cant believe the weather, gorgeous- I usually sit on that train and while the train goes thru the Seven tunnel i just know its gonna rain when we come out the Welsh End. lol
Where are you?
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
The UK Is Closed!#12
Posted: 4/15/10 at 8:39am
I'm in Newport, and yea, the weather has been stunning these past few days. I shouldn't really be complaining, but that was probably our summer.

I drive down to Devon regularly, and I'm the same - I know that the moment I see that 'Croeso i Gymru' sign that it's going to start raining.

Where are you?
Updated On: 4/15/10 at 08:39 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#13
Posted: 4/15/10 at 8:42am
Abertawe
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#14
Posted: 4/15/10 at 9:17am
Mama, it's Nats who are obviously making this decision, and my brother in law works for Nats, so I'll post on here, the second I hear anything from them, cause I've got constant updates already as my Auntie is meant to be flying somewhere tomorrow morning!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#15
Posted: 4/15/10 at 9:35am
oooo ta!
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#16
Posted: 4/15/10 at 10:57am
The Ba Helpline is not very helpful at the mo.

It never is. Worst "customer service" I've ever experienced from any airline. They still owe me $150.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#17
Posted: 4/15/10 at 11:03am
They have actually called me twice today.
Latest news (20mins ago) was that no flights will take off until 7.50 tomorrow at the very, very earliest! That takes me up to almost 24hrs before my flight and they say they still cant promise any service thats near normal for the next 3 to 4 days.
They still owe me a full case of luggage from last March and they know it and thats probably why they are so good with me through this crisis!
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#18
Posted: 4/15/10 at 11:03am
I didn't know anything about this until i read this thread... i hope it works out for you Mamma :) x
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#19
Posted: 4/15/10 at 11:07am
Thanks Goggs.

I don't want to be on another flight like this....
I remember this on TV!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8622099.stm
Even though they are ringing me regarding the latest news on cancelled flights they wont entertain my request to actually cancel and rebook in the future.
Updated On: 4/15/10 at 11:07 AM
Piper3500 Profile PhotoPiper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#20
Posted: 4/15/10 at 11:15am
Mama'sDoinFine
here's to hoping you get out on your flight to NY. I was held up once and missed a show and it was awful for me, but this..this is just terrible.

any refunds for anything if you can't? i would hope anything you have pre purchased would be refunded under the circumstances? (things that like cancellations of flights that aren't insured i mean)

"it's a dirty little war"
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#21
Posted: 4/15/10 at 11:22am
Thanks Pip!
I have no shows booked as I always get shows through friends and contacts on arrival and we basically go night by night, show by show.
I'm pretty relaxed as I know that if it comes to the crunch I will get a refund or a rebooked flight.
Besides that tho, one can never contain one's excitement about going to New York at any time even after over 30 or 40 visits in the last 30 years and living there for 6 months -it's still there, that excitement!

Piper3500 Profile PhotoPiper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#22
Posted: 4/15/10 at 12:05pm
^ oh that is so good to hear. i think next time, i will NOT pre purchase any tickets. I only bought one pre. (guess which? ha ha) and realized afterward that better seats were to be had for at least half the price only five rows back on the aisle. (front row is not always best) - also for the others i did not pay for i seemed to get cheaper, better seats as well. at least the show i missed was not expensive and it was more of a WANT. it was Seth Rudetsky's Chatterbox at Don't Tell Mama and he had autographed a book for me. a one hour show he does with broadway stars with interviews, etc. I was just so excited to finally meet him and have a pre-show drink and show to see.

i know what you mean about the latter as well. as soon as i get home, i want to turn round and go straight back. if it wasn't so damned expensive to get to Toronto from here it would even be easier. I used to fly from Plymouth to London for 30 - try get to Toronto for less than $400 return on top of hotel and flight to NY makes it a little tougher now. if i could, i would stay there a lot longer. maybe i will bring some of my drama students to NY some time, but it's their parents i have to convince!
"it's a dirty little war"
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#23
Posted: 4/15/10 at 12:24pm
It currently stands, as said, flights are suspended until 7am tomorrow, the next update decision will be made at 8PM when Nats will have received and analyzed the next Met Office report, and then everything will be re-assessed EVERY 6 hours, and really, until 6 hours before any flight is due to leave, the information is worth very little, as the length of suspension can be shortened as well as extended if they find the ash to have reduced by a reasonable amount!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The UK Is Closed!#24
Posted: 4/15/10 at 1:41pm
When decision comes to start flying again, you cannot just resume flying straight away, logistics come in, such as planes not in the right place, pilots over there hours and backlog of passengers (specially with the Easter holiday). The knock on effect for passengers is problems with theatre tickets and hotel bookings, as well as booked time off work.

I guess there will be a outside chance of Mama flying and really hopes he does, but I strongly urge Mama to book LND for Saturday evening.