Page: 1

Cameron Mackintosh cannot count

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#1
Posted: 4/10/10 at 5:11pm
So outside the Wyndham's Av Q is announcing it is in its 5th year.

Well, the first performance in the UK was 1st June 2006

That means that in just over 6 weeks it will pass its 4th birthday, meaning it will be heading for its 5th birthday, whilst still technically in its 4th year. However, it has still only been playing in the UK for 3 years!

Any way you look at it, those signs should not be up!

Please, someone report you-know-who to trading standards.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#2
Posted: 4/10/10 at 5:27pm
Yep! Its 4th birthday isn't until 28th June this year. Previews began on the 1st.

If old rules applied it would have been celebrating its 5th 'MONTH' in the West End this week.
Up until 15 or so years ago if a show transfered from one theatre to another it would have to reopen in the new theatre on the following Monday if it was to be classified as a continuous run.
Many shows in recent years have ignored this old rule and continue to advertise its run as 25 years when it often is a hell of a lot shorter if records books are being kept.

'The Mousetrap', after its 8862nd performance closed at the Ambassadors Theatre on 23rd March 1974 and reopened on 25th March next door at the St.Martin's.
A continuous record breaking run.

'Les Miserable' closed at The Palace Theatre after 18 years on 27th March 2004 and did not reopen until 3rd April 2004 at The Queens.
Not a continuous run so there for the ads should run now in its 6th year!

The long running 'The Woman In Black' broke its West End run between the Novello and Fortune but only after its first 3 months so it still has been running a full unbroken 20 years.

Lots of shows that know they are never gone run for decades are not so fused about reopening dates if they have a little tour around different West End theatres during the run. 'Fame' for example or 'An Inspector Calls'.

Updated On: 4/10/10 at 05:27 PM
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#2
Posted: 4/10/10 at 6:27pm
Whilst slightly dodgy mathmatics it's not strictly a lie. Avenue Q has played in the west end during the past five years 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, so 2010 is it's fifth year in the west end.

This kind of stretching the truth gets used quite a bit in marketing me thinks. I'm suprised we haven't seen Les Mis advertised as being in its forth decade in the west end 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's. :)
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#3
Posted: 4/10/10 at 6:55pm
I was thinking this when I saw the adverts but it is very cleverly done. It simply says "Booking into it's fifth year" not "In it's fifth year" - two completely different things, and booking into it's fifth year it is.
Piper3500 Profile PhotoPiper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#4
Posted: 4/10/10 at 7:47pm
"Whilst slightly dodgy mathmatics it's not strictly a lie. Avenue Q has played in the west end during the past five years 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, so 2010 is it's fifth year in the west end.

This kind of stretching the truth gets used quite a bit in marketing me thinks. I'm suprised we haven't seen Les Mis advertised as being in its forth decade in the west end 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's. :)"

exactly

now, let me go back and look up the 25th year of Les Miz Cameron Mackintosh cannot count

"it's a dirty little war"
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#5
Posted: 4/10/10 at 7:51pm
Yes, I agree used as a marketing tool, to make the show look more respectable.

Other marketing slogans that get me are;

London's biggest musical
London's most loved musical
The best musical in London

All are very subjective I think.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#6
Posted: 4/11/10 at 4:56am
The print advertising may say "booking into" but I'm pretty certain the theatre displays just say "now in its 5th year".

Either way, it's the cheapest trick since Merrick's "Broadway's latest hit" gimmick with 42nd Street!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#7
Posted: 4/11/10 at 5:02am
All these modern day producers and publicists are mere amateurs at the art of "twisting the truth" marketing compared to the legendary and notorious Broadway producer, David Merrick. One stunt he pulled back in the 60s for the show Subways Are For Sleeping (which was not selling very well) was to scour the phone book to find people with the same names as the top Broadway theatre critics of the day and sent them free invites to see the show, asking for their comments afterwards. Then posters were put up with comments like "A brilliant show - WALTER KERR", "The best show in town - HARRY TAUBMAN", etc. The show still only ran for 205 performances but you have admire the sheer audacity of the guy.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 4/11/10 at 05:02 AM
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#8
Posted: 4/11/10 at 8:34am
Boybooshka has it right, The show is in its 5th calendar year.
Lots of things use similar tricks, not just theatre. I have often seen 5th anniversary / birthday mixed up with 5th occurrence which are definitely different!

I don't think there is anything wrong with it in this case, it isn't like you are seeing any less of a show because of it. Mama's point about the continuous run is interesting but nobody seems to follow that now.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#9
Posted: 4/11/10 at 8:44am
If it doesn't matter, why do it? Yes, the show is attractive on its own merits, so why pull such a cheap stunt?
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#10
Posted: 4/11/10 at 1:11pm
Keep in mind that he did the same thing on Broadway with the revival of Les Miserables. He was billing it as the worlds longest running musical. I guess he totally forgot to mention that The revival of The Fantasticks was playing only a few blocks away.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#11
Posted: 4/11/10 at 1:18pm
I think Les Mis is still advertised as the world's longest running musical here as well. Even though it's only had a few days off between its (three) venues since the premiere in 1985, it's way behind The Fantasticks. It's the longest running in West End or Broadway history, but that's all it can have any justification for claiming. I wonder if, when The Fantasticks opens in London this year, there will be two different musicals on both claiming to be the longest-running ever.

I suppose the reason he claims that is that not enough people know it's wrong to make any difference.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#12
Posted: 4/11/10 at 1:32pm
I really hope The Fantasticks has a fantastic marketing campaign in London.

"Forget Les Mis, come see the worlds REAL longest running musical".
ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#13
Posted: 4/11/10 at 1:35pm
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 4/11/10 at 01:35 PM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#14
Posted: 4/11/10 at 1:39pm
Hasn't Les Miserable been running 30 odd years now?

Sorry must be using Cameroon Mackintosh calculator.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#15
Posted: 4/11/10 at 6:52pm
Now In Its 37th Year
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#16
Posted: 4/11/10 at 8:11pm
MariusPontmercy, I agree with you that there isn't enough people out there to know the difference. If you ask any joe tourist what The Fantasticks is they aren't going to have a clue. But, most people would know Les Miserables much more then then the Fantasticks.

And, keep in mind that Les Miserables on Broadway was never at any point during its run the longest running show in the history of Broadway.

Also, I do find it interesting about how a show's run is counted in London. On Broadway, if a show moves theatres, they just put a pause on the count of number of performances and have that number start back up again when the show opens up at its new home.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#17
Posted: 4/13/10 at 5:02pm
I was thinking this myself! Its just about to complete a 4th year (bear in mind it had a holiday period too...) so i dont get this 5th year thing... booking into its 5th year perhaps

Also CM has said all his theatre have now been refurbed in the Hair programme...so work on the Queens is done?!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#18
Posted: 4/13/10 at 5:14pm
Just to quibble a little further, adverts for Hair announce the entire Broadway cast in the transfer, but I believe that some cast members have not actually come across from Broadway.
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#19
Posted: 4/13/10 at 6:29pm
I walked by The Wyndham just last night and thought "I'm sure it can't have been 5 years, already".

For the regular New York visitors, has anyone else noticed how much St Martins Court (the passage between Charing Cross Rd and St Martins Lane) looks like Schubert Alley, with all the theatre posters?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#20
Posted: 4/13/10 at 7:47pm
John, St Martins Court has always been like that, for the last 35 years at least. The posters you see there now are nothing compared to what was on display there in the 70s and 80s -every West End show was displayed there and it was ever changing weekly/daily.
I never failed, daily, to walk down there in either direction.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cameron Mackintosh cannot count#21
Posted: 4/14/10 at 4:08am
I think it's much cleaner and brighter now!