Page: 1

Shows You Had No Intentions Of Seeing, But Did..............And Loved.

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Another fun thread as not much kicking about at the moment.

Just wondering shows you had no real desire to see, but did and you just loved or warmed to.

I can think of 4 shows off the top of my head;

Legally Blonde
Sister Act
Spring Awakening
Beauty and the Beast (Broadway)
Hairspray (Broadway)

Updated On: 3/14/10 at 09:19 PM
PastorErnst Profile PhotoPastorErnst Profile Photo
PastorErnst
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Thus far? Hm... I can honestly say none. I can name a few shows that I wanted to see, but ended up hating =P
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jersey Boys... Oh no, wait, I still hated it when I saw it!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The problem I'm having with this question is that almost nothing I've seen strictly applies, because I work the other way round. I assume I want to see EVERYTHING, then I weed shows out when they don't sound interesting enough, as opposed to waiting to see what does sound interesting before adding it onto The List.

But I suppose Henry V is probably the ultimate. I was on an autograph-collecting mission for my sister, and it was going SO well that when we realised we could complete the set with a quick trip to Stratford, we bit the bullet and booked even though neither of us were what you could call Shakespeare fans. You can guess the rest, right?

I guess other shows I've loved, having booked on little more than free time and a whim, could include The Woman in Black, The 39 Steps, Kiss of the Spider Woman at the Donmar, Zorro, The Music Man in Chichester, Arcadia, and Red.

Anything that's not on The List but gets seen on a whim usually disappoints; it often turns out I was right to not leave it on The List in the first place! Still, I haven't seen anything that was TOTALLY beyond redemption. Even the diabolically unenjoyable Absurd Person Singular served as a handy warning to consider avoiding Ayckbourn in future. Gone with the Wind made Fram enjoyable in comparison. Ernie Get Your Gun Too Close to the Sun was HILARIOUS once the second half kicked off. Pains of Youth was a rare opportunity to appreciate Katie Mitchell's direction even though the play was insanely dull and the characters were ridiculously unlikable. ^_^
Updated On: 3/15/10 at 06:35 AM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For me it is probably August: Osage County. I knew nothing about the show until it started, was the first play I ever saw. Basically my friend and I were walking along the southbank on a Sunday, saw the theatre was open and went and asked if they had any tickets and we got standbys for 10. Still probably the best play i've ever seen.

Also Never Forget on tour, didn't know it was even on nearby but at around 4pm my friends asked if I wanted to go and we went and got standbys and I really enjoyed it.
HerrStiefel
Swing
Swing
Billy Elliot - rather boring CD, but loved it on stage

Sunset Blvd. - only saw it because Elaine Paige was in it and ended up seeing it six times

Mamma Mia - not a fan of jukebox shows, but this was fun

On the opposite side I always loved the Miss Saigon cast recording and really hated the stage production.
Updated On: 3/15/10 at 09:36 AM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The best example of this for me would be IN THE HEIGHTS. Never fancied it at all and steered clear of it on three visits to New York. Then I finally decided to give it a try and LOVED it. I bought the CD and love it even more each time I play it.

Then, of course, there's HAIRSPRAY, which I never fancied at all and finally went to see it after a number of friends told me how wonderful it was - and HATED it even more than I thought I would LOL.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Lots! These are a few from the last year or so...

War Horse. I don't like Michael Morpurgo, not crazy about horses and have no particular interest in puppetry. Loved it.

Arcadia. Needed something that I could get a ticket for at one day's notice and this looked like the least unappealing thing that I hadn't seen. Best play I saw last year.

Never thought I'd want to see Waiting for Godot but couldn't resist McKellen/Stewart - loved the production and the play.

Zorro. Sounded like cheesy rubbish, but I was offered a cheap ticket which I accepted - and it was cheesy, but great fun with a terrific cast.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy Elliot, Lord of the Rings and In the Heights. I was dragged to all three shows by my partner and ended up LOVING all of them.

Rock and Roll - I'm not particularly a Stoppard fan, but I decided to get a cheap ticket to the production at the Goodman in Chicago and I couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have done my best to avoid In The Heights, one reason there has been no discount on it.

Bob has suggested I should see this and other people on this thread have enforced this notion, with not much going on in New York, I am going to relent and see this in a couple of weeks.
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I hate to admit it but Phantom, having grown up in the era of wall to wall Lloyd Webber (and a choir master who had a worrying affection for the man and music) I was determind to grow up hating it....well I got to 23! The logical critical part of me still says it's not great art but hey I like it!

Another one is 'Bent' not so much had no intention of seeing it but more stumbled across it....I saw it 5 times and it's had quite the impact on my academic career too.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I bought the cd of Rent when it first came out and- unluckily I guess, flicked through the tracks managing to land on all the phone calls. I was so appalled I did not listen to it again.

Then one day I was walking past the Shaftesbury with friends while the show was in preview. There were staff outside literally trying to drag people in and we got Equity discounts with tickets in Row D of the stalls at 10 each!.

After about 10 minutes we looked at each other (as we tend to with any show) and I said- surprised- "are you enjoying this?" And surprised, we all said "Yeah!" Then when the crosslight from way up high on one of the side booms lit "One Song Glory" my lighting designer friend just looked at me and smiled. We knew we were loving it!

That day felt the way it must have felt to see West Side Story in the 1950s. The rule book was being thrown away and re-written!

And dear Kristyn Cummings was absolutely on fire!

The most amazing matinee I've ever seen.

Whatever we went to see that night (maybe Bombay Dreams?) was a piece of crap by comparison!
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Believe it or not... Priscilla! Well, the first preview anyway. A friend had tickets, I had another commitment. Other commitment fell through, friend had already replaced me. Replacement friend was unable to make it so I was back in the frame. I went in not knowing what to expect (wasn't a huge fan of the film) and voila, one year on... I'm broke (but happy)!

One show I didn't really like the sound of from the synopsis: Next To Normal. It took two trips to New York and the generosity of a friend of a friend before I saw it - and was blown away. It was first on my list the next time I visited and I rate it as one of the best pieces of musical theatre I'm ever likely to see. (Since when I've been paying much more attention to word-on-the-street / word-on-the-board in deciding what to see). Shows You Had No Intentions Of Seeing, But Did..............And Loved.
Seen some shows in my time....
mikeysussex
Understudy
Understudy
TIME. I had always wanted to see the hologram of Olivier. Als on the first preview id didn't work and we just had a white suspended bald head. A few days later it did and it was eerie.
Also the effects were amazing. However I was attacked by Cliff Richard fans in the stalls because I couldn't stop laughing at the hammy dialogue. It was absolutely hysterical.
Also saw Sarah Brightman in REQUIEM. Front row stalls but her gown was too tight and the fabric was really tightening as the notes got higher, you thought it was going to split. I was warned that I would have to leave if i continued laughing. Great memories.