Page: 1

Roger Moore's Desperate Rehearsals

mikeysussex
Understudy
Understudy
Roger Moore's Desperate Rehearsals#1
Posted: 3/10/10 at 2:27am
A new book 'Celebrity Hotel' to be published next week will feature a chapter on Roger Moore's "desperate" rehearsals for 'Aspects of Love' whilst staying at the Grosvenor House Hotel, according to a press release. I will find out more and post shortly.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roger Moore's Desperate Rehearsals#2
Posted: 3/10/10 at 2:36am
I worked at t Prince Of Wales during 'Aspects' and have told the story of him in the show on here many times.
Basically, the rehearsals were far from desperate while he was in the cast. He had never sang in public before and as the rehearsal period progressed he basically let very bad stage nerves get on top of him. Prior to 1988, the last time he performed on stage was as a young actor in his 20s!
As the days went but he and the production team actually rewrote a lot of the piece to make his sing a lot smaller. In the end by mutual agreement they decided to get a new George.
Roger Moore left the production and wonderful Kevin Colson stepped in.
The press of the day gave the swap very little printed space and the show opened with Michael Ball and Ann Crumb above the title. The show suffered in no way from the above scenario.
I have window cards with his name still advertised above Michael Ball and Anne Crumb!!

*** Catherine Zeta Jones auditioned for the part of Rose a few months into the run but was deemed too young at the time.

Updated On: 3/10/10 at 02:36 AM
mikeysussex
Understudy
Understudy
Roger Moore's Desperate Rehearsals#2
Posted: 3/10/10 at 3:29am
I thought Kevin Colson was the best thing in it, but felt somewhat embarassed by the whole thing. I'm at a loss as to why quite a few people liked it. I like Roger Moore - my guess is that he has a somewht dry and/or wicked sense of humour. It would have been very interesting to have seen him in this. Maybe if Baz had done the publicity!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roger Moore's Desperate Rehearsals#3
Posted: 3/10/10 at 3:35am
I will admit that the little of the rehearsals I saw him in he was rather good, the voice was very shaky for the singing but he was a much more regal/ grander George than Kevin Colson made him.
I though Mr Moore was very well cast. Once it dawned on him about singing with full orchestra nightly and not a rehearsal pianist, that is when the problems appeared fast.
Yes, Mr Colson was by farthe best of the company.
Updated On: 3/10/10 at 03:35 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roger Moore's Desperate Rehearsals#4
Posted: 3/10/10 at 3:48pm
Kevin Colson = class act!