Newsie Of A New Disney Musical. *A Disney Thread*

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical. *A Disney Thread*

Disney studios have registered the domain names: newsiesbroadway.com, newsiesmusical.com, newsiesontour.com, newsiesthemusical.com and newsiestickets.com, which is creating speculation that Disney Theatrical Productions are to adapt the 1992 American Disney musical 'Newsies' for the stage.

The domain name registrations comes on top of an earlier report by Wayman Wong of the NY Daily News that composer Alan Menken and lyricist Jack Feldman were working on bringing the musical to the stage, featuring a new book by Harvey Fierstein.

The 1992 film 'Newsies', screenplay by Bob Tzudiker and Noni White, with score by Alan Menken ad lyrics by Jack Feldman, tells the true story of the the 1899 Newsboys Strike in New York City.
The strike was caused when the papers' 'New York World' and the 'New York Morning Journal' (owned byJ oseph Pulitzer's and William Randolph Hearst respectively) refused to lower the price of a bundle of newspapers, which the newsboys (Newsies) purchased to hawk on the streets. The strike ended when the two papers agreed to buy back from the Newsies all unsold copies.

The film is a fictionalised account of this strike has told through Jack "Cowboy" Kelly, a newsboy who befriends 'David Jacobs,' a boy who, along with his younger brother, has temporarily left school to sell papers until their father, who has a broken arm, is able to return to work. When the price of the papers are raised, Jack and his new friends find themselves at the centre of a city-wide strike by the Newsies as they fight for justice.

The film, though technically not released as a musical contains a score of 12 songs including "Carrying the Banner," "Santa Fe," "Seize the Day," "The World Will Know" and "King of New York," and features dance sequences chireographed by Andrew Laszlo.

The movie, directed by Kenny Ortega, starred Christian Bale as 'Jack "Cowboy" Kelly' and David Moscow as 'David Jacobs.

The movie was not a commercial success for Disney and was badly received by critics. Since that time the film has steadily gained a cult following and fans petitioned Disney to release to musical on DVD, which it did in 2002.

There has been an on going petition by fans for Disney to adapt the film into a musical.

Updated On: 4/7/10 at 05:43 AM
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#2
Posted: 3/9/10 at 5:58am
This sounds interesting. It actually bombed badly as a movie...I wonder why Disney think it is worth salvaging? Didn't know Christian Bale was in it. Just checked my DVD club online but the film isn't available to buy/rent. Would have been interesting to have a look.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#2
Posted: 3/9/10 at 6:04am
It bombed n my living room on DVD too - a real snore fest from Disneys dark days.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#3
Posted: 3/9/10 at 6:37am
I really loved this movie - a number of great Menken songs. Really hope the rumours about a stage adaptation are true - especially if the book is to be written by Fierstein.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#4
Posted: 3/10/10 at 5:15am
Alan's told me they've had a reading of Act One, and it's steadily getting done. This movie does belong on stage - with a completely reworked book and stronger character development. It has its legions of fans and should do rather well on Broadway if they get a director to take a naturalistic style to it.

Alan's also told me that Aladdin is being developed for the stage, with as much of the original Howard Ashman material (such as Call Me A Princess, Proud of Your Boy etc).

Very exciting times!
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#5
Posted: 3/10/10 at 2:39pm
i almost got excited until i read who's writing the book.

yawn.
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#6
Posted: 3/10/10 at 5:35pm
I think it is really exciting that Fierstein is writing the book. His book for La Cage is genuinely witty and moving. And his libretto for A Catered Affair is a seriously beautiful piece of writing.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 3/10/10 at 05:35 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#7
Posted: 3/10/10 at 5:47pm
Its the best part of this venture for me.
GreenPanda
Swing
Swing
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#8
Posted: 3/30/10 at 7:40pm
They've been talking about doing it for years.
Finally it's about time we had a replacement for Oliver and Annie - should work a treat if they get it right.
The melodies from the original film were some of Menken's best, especially "Seize the Day" and "Carrying the Banner".
Look forward to it.

Green Panda Theatre - New Musicals, Audtion/Performance Songs and music for Pantomime
Updated On: 3/31/10 at 07:40 PM
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#9
Posted: 3/31/10 at 4:40am
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.

I've got the perfect Disney Musical for them to throw on the stage.

What about 'The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band' which starred a young Leslie Ann Warren and even younger Kurt Russell. A great period Disney Musical with music from the Sherman Brothers. Broadway gold if you ask me.

Though they might want to rethink that tagline

Updated On: 3/31/10 at 04:40 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#10
Posted: 3/31/10 at 4:43am
OMG Paul, I remember seeing that when, when, well never mind.
Isn't it funny that Disney made so many movies for TV and cinema in their heyday that a lot of them really are forgotten about and will most certainly never see the light of day.
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#11
Posted: 3/31/10 at 4:51am

I know. The Happiest Millionaire also had a great Sherman score and an amazing cast. Shame the story wasn't up to much, but with an extensive rewrite i think it could work.Even in their later years Greer Garson and Gladys Cooper were still at the top of their game.

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#12
Posted: 3/31/10 at 4:54am
I liked that one with the invisible pirate! |Wasn@t Dean Jones in it?
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#13
Posted: 3/31/10 at 4:59am

Blackbeard's Ghost. Another Disney classic

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#14
Posted: 3/31/10 at 5:17am
I love 'The Happiest Millionaire'. Look at that cast!

*James Robertson Justice was a staple in the Disney fold in the 60s thru 70s.
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#15
Posted: 3/31/10 at 5:34am
I picked up a copy of The Happiest Millionaire for $5 when i was in the states early last year. It was the original roadshow version and my god it was a slog to get through. The score and cast are amazing but the film is way too long. I can see why they cut it for the standard release.

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#16
Posted: 3/31/10 at 5:42am
A guilty pleasure.
The divine Helen Reddy.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#17
Posted: 4/7/10 at 6:54am

Lost count of the number of times I saw this Disney classic musical at my local, huge, Odeon cinema (Now, sadly, closed!)

The Odeon Swansea opened on 17th May, 1967 and its first film was 'Thoroughly Modern Millie'.
The ultra-modern new Odeon was given the European premiere of the movie to celebrate its grand opening.
The movie ran there for 6 months!!!
Sadly this huge cinema is now a disco complex.
http://www.swanseasgrand.co.uk/wpimages/wp71a8ef87.png
Days before the opening.

Updated On: 4/7/10 at 06:54 AM
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#18
Posted: 4/7/10 at 12:39pm
I loved Pete's Dragon as a kid - Pushing Daisies did a 'tribute episode' to it last year 'The Legends of Merle McQuoddy'). Great fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTabxXnhfXo

Another of my favourites way back when:

[IMG]Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.

Long before I even knew who Bette Davis was!
Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 4/7/10 at 12:39 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#19
Posted: 4/7/10 at 12:52pm

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#20
Posted: 4/7/10 at 12:55pm
OH god Matt! -again, another film I loved as a kid.

What Disney movie was Shelly Winters in- I think it was the sequel to 'The Apple Dumpling Gang' ????

She did 'Pete's Dragon' and I'm sure one or two others?
Updated On: 4/7/10 at 12:55 PM
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#21
Posted: 4/7/10 at 2:22pm
I love South of the South, but now Disney have banned so it will probably never see the light of day again. If you've got a copy i'd keep hold of it.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#22
Posted: 4/7/10 at 3:09pm
The only Disney film I remember Shelly Winters doing was Pete's Dragon. But Ruth Buzzi was in Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again. I LOVED the first Apple Dumpling film (as well as Pete's Dragon, but I don't see that one working on stage very well). Like the majority of Disney films of the era, it's more slapstick than anything else, but the cast is what made it so charming. With a beefed up book and a catchy score, it has a LOT of potential as an endearing family musical.

For the record, I love Newsies. I saw it a couple of times in the theatre when it opened and I think the score is a knockout. I'd definitely pay to see it on stage. Santa Fe is one of my favorite Menken ballads.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#23
Posted: 4/7/10 at 3:27pm
'Pete's Dragon' was the very first Disney movie to be released on the brand new VHS and Betamax home viewing system!
Released in October 1980 it was way behind other studios as Disney were very reluctant to let their movies go to video while they could still release them every two years in the cinema and make millions a week worldwide.
Disney even had an Odeon cinema in the West End, the now closed, Odeon St.Martins Lane (opp the Duke Of Yorks) just for its own movies!
Sadly, that wasn't to last and now everything Disney is on DVD.
I miss going to a huge packed cinema every week, to see Disney or otherwise.
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Newsie Of A New Disney Musical.#24
Posted: 4/7/10 at 4:25pm
The Jungle Book was the first film i ever saw at the cinema(not it's original release i must add)and every school holiday i'd see the Disney reissue of that season. Dumbo was and still is one of my favourite Disney films of all time. They dont make em like that anymore.