Oliver

LoneWolf Profile PhotoLoneWolf Profile Photo
LoneWolf
Swing
Swing
Oliver#1
Posted: 2/27/10 at 1:12pm
Did I spot Howard Jones in the cast???
He certainly stands out from the crowd bringing his WSS and MP experience to enhance this production. He would make a brilliant Sykes IMHO.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oliver#2
Posted: 2/27/10 at 1:47pm
He's a swing, according to the show website.

I haven't seen Oliver! since last January. Is it worth going back for Griff Rhys Jones and any of the other cast changes? I'm not a huge Kerry Ellis fan so her as Nancy won't be a dealbreaker.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oliver#2
Posted: 2/27/10 at 1:58pm
Grith Ryhs Jones did absolutely nothing for me. He was probably the worst Fagin I have ever seen, Barry Humphries was bad enough. The company when they started rehearsals with him though the would be brilliant but he just doesn't have much presence and he does it with this awful mock cockney lisp. I saw it 3 or 4 weeks ago now.
Supposedly he is the highest paid Fagin this run has had so far!
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oliver#3
Posted: 2/27/10 at 2:53pm
^ I haven't seen Griff Rhys Jones, but you just described exactly what I thought of Rowan Atkinson - a funny and talented performer, certainly, but he just wasn't "theatrical" enough for his performance to work in that enormous theatre. And he used this horrible "Jewish" accent that as well as being border-line offensive made a lot of what he was saying quite difficult to understand.

I heard lots of good things about Omid's Fagin, which kind of made me wish I'd seen him. Did anyone here see him?
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oliver#4
Posted: 2/27/10 at 3:00pm
I did see Rowan Atkinson and thought he was just using his normal "acting" voice - he sounded like Blackadder, really. Worked well enough - shame he couldn't keep in time with the music but I suppose that's a minor technicality.

When does Griff leave? Who knows who they'll get instead, if there's anyone with enough celeb caché to pull in the punters left.
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oliver#5
Posted: 2/27/10 at 3:20pm
I have this weird vision of Nigel Planer as Fagin! Sounds weird but who knows? Maybe he could work
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oliver#6
Posted: 2/28/10 at 7:23am
I think Richard O"Brien (Rocky Horror Show) would make a fantastic Fagin - Sir Cameron are you reading this?
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oliver#7
Posted: 2/28/10 at 7:29am
I saw Omid, and I just didnt get Fagin from him. I got Omid, he is brilliant dont get me wrong as a comedian, but it was Omid dressed as Fagin. It all felt a little panto ish, a little too knowing.

But then the whole show felt quite cold to be honest. No heart and it didnt draw me in. As for that bloody Jodie girl...

Stunning visually though
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oliver#8
Posted: 2/28/10 at 12:21pm
Same here Princeton, cold production, visually stunning ,but yet again it had all been seen before.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oliver#9
Posted: 2/28/10 at 4:01pm
I saw Omid (who I really enjoyed and would say was the best Fagin I've seen) but missed Jodie.

I want to see Jodie but don't want to see Griff.

What am I going to do?
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oliver#10
Posted: 2/28/10 at 4:12pm
If Cameron continues in a similar vein will we get a Michael McIntyre, Jonathon Ross, Alan Davies or a Jimmy Carr Fagin?!!

Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oliver#11
Posted: 2/28/10 at 4:55pm
Maybe they should cast Mel Smith as Fagin to keep The Not the Nine O'Clock News theme.

I reluctanly agree that the show is quite cold despite being visually stunning but then this production of Oliver! which debuted in 1994 at the Palladium was the first time Oliver! had been done on a large scale, previous productions were smaller and I doubt while Cameron still has the rights, it will be done that way again.