Is Enron worth it?

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#1
Posted: 2/24/10 at 11:30am
As there appears to be no deals on this and a completely sell out, im toying with paying full whack for this. Does it live up to the hype? and, if its between the two, is Jerusalum worth it more?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#2
Posted: 2/24/10 at 11:41am
I haven't seen 'Enron', not sure if I will?
Having seen the wonderful 'Jerusalem' I will strongly recommend that, plus, almost everyone I know who has seen the two rave far more about the latter.
'Enron' is now going to run until early summer, possibly longer, whereas 'Jerusalem' is strictly a limited season.
My interest in everything 'Enron' is zero and I am seeing 'Jerusalem' again at the earliest spot available!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#2
Posted: 2/24/10 at 12:07pm
Looks like plays are out doing musicals for once, with 'Jerusalem', 'Enron', 'War horse' and 'The Misanthrope' all hot tickets.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#3
Posted: 2/24/10 at 12:09pm
Enron does have dayseats in the front row for 25, and some side upper circle seats for as little as 12.50 if ur willing to give up a clear view.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Is Enron worth it?#4
Posted: 2/24/10 at 12:15pm
Thanks mark, didnt realise it had daysets, meant to book a cheapseat last weekend but tubefail meant I didnt have time to hit the boxoffice.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#5
Posted: 2/24/10 at 12:55pm
If it's a choice between Jerusalem and Enron, go for the former. Enron is good, but it's very flashy, a little demented, and ultimately it's difficult to care about anyone. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't feel any need to see it again.
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Is Enron worth it?#6
Posted: 3/20/10 at 9:05am
Have to say I was a little disappointed in Enron. Maybe my expectations were just too high? I was slightly worried that as someone with literally NO understanding of finance I would struggle to follow it... in fact I found the opposite. Every point explained ten times over with some of the clunkiest exposition I've heard in years - "Does no-one in this room understand mark-to-market? OK, I'll explain it..." , "How often have we had sex?" "Four times." etc. (I'm sure those aren't the exact lines, but you get the idea.) However I enjoyed most of the performances, especially Samuel West and a horribly convincing Tom Goodman-Hill. Tim Pigott-Smith was good, despite sporting the worst of a bad bunch of accents, but while I could believe that Skilling and Fastow were presented fairly accurately, I'm not sure I believe that Lay had quite as little involvement in the actual scandal as he is presented to have had here. Especially since I do remember very clearly how people reacted when he died. The physical production was very impressive, I loved the raptors and the lightsabers and the projections and the dancing and the general flashy trickery. Frankly, the play needs them. Will be interesting to see what Broadway makes of it.
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Is Enron worth it?#7
Posted: 3/22/10 at 7:08am
Yes Enron is worth paying full whack for.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#8
Posted: 3/22/10 at 7:08am
The Oliviers obviously don't think so
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Is Enron worth it?#9
Posted: 3/22/10 at 9:50am
Well, they think the direction's worth paying full price for at least... and that's a pretty big part of a play.

Still haven't seen this. Need to see the velociraptors and the lightsabers!
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#10
Posted: 3/22/10 at 10:40am
My partner and I had a special interest in seeing 'Enron' - he worked for them for a year (and lost his hair due to the stress!).

We missed out on tickets for its first outing at Chichester so jumped as soon as possible for seats at The Royal Court and it was certainly worth it. Yes, much of the financial stuff is explained in layman's terms but the average punter, even one working in finance, wouldn't be expected to understand some of the dodgy accounting practises that Lay, Skilling and Fastow came up with.

To really prepare myself for the play I read the book 'The Smartest Men In The Room' which, while a bit dry and heavy-going at times, helped with so many of the details that are glossed over in the play. For instance, the light sabres which are used in the show are a reference to the many Star Wars-like names that were given to Enron accounts projects (Death Star etc.), a fact that is never mentioned on stage.

One of the most interesting facts is that 'Enron', which opens on Broadway in a few weeks time, is only the second play by Lucy Prebble, her first was produced at the tiny Jerwood Theatre Upstairs. It will be fascinating to see what she follows it up with.

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#11
Posted: 3/22/10 at 11:12am
I really enjoyed the book John, very entertaining if thats the right word. Not too fussed on the play myself tho
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#12
Posted: 3/22/10 at 12:38pm
Slim pickings for musicals at the Oliviers, I thought, but 4 real powerhouse new plays- any one would have been a respectable winner!

Actually, the only one I haven't seen is the winner. Has anyone here seen it?
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#13
Posted: 3/22/10 at 2:27pm
I saw it. I'm INCREDIBLY surprised it won, but only because it was up against such stiff competition. It was very good indeed. :3
Sean2 Profile PhotoSean2 Profile Photo
Sean2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Is Enron worth it?#14
Posted: 3/23/10 at 6:20pm
I saw Enron at the Royal Court at full price and thought it was absolutely worth it. Jerusalem though, in my opinion, is the better play, and Mark Rylance's performance is a tour-de-force that really should be seen. I'd recommend Jerusalem over Enron.
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Is Enron worth it?#15
Posted: 5/4/10 at 6:27pm
Bump again.

Closing on Broadway apparently, less than two weeks after opening! Such a shame for the (apparently great) cast, and I dread to think how much money it's lost - art imitating life?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#16
Posted: 5/4/10 at 7:27pm
Yep, I was with someone here yesterday and they said it could go in 3 weeks time- maybe less. It just cant find its feet they it has in the UK. The Broadhurst has been seen as the wrong theatre for it. Having seen many things at the Broadhurst, it really isnt a theatre for straight plays.
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Is Enron worth it?#17
Posted: 5/4/10 at 7:46pm
Having seen many things at the Broadhurst, it really isnt a theatre for straight plays.

In what way? Too big?

P.S. Some lovely anti-British stuff cropping up in the thread on the Broadway board already! "British" seems to be almost a pejorative word over there.
Updated On: 5/4/10 at 07:46 PM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#18
Posted: 5/4/10 at 8:07pm
There always slagging the brits over on that board. And they wonder why the world hates Americans.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#19
Posted: 5/5/10 at 12:29am
As far as the Broadhurst goes, lately the Shuberts seem to really want to put every high-profile British transfer in there even though it's a fairly large theatre for plays (about 1200 seats). Equus, Mary Stuart and now Enron all struggled to fill it and all would have benfitted from being in slightly smaller theatres.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#20
Posted: 5/5/10 at 2:47am
True

As Enron has just announced it is closing at the Broadhurst, did not find its market and maybe a too sensitive story for the Americans.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#21
Posted: 5/5/10 at 4:29am
Its well into its extended run at the Coward now. It had 14 weeks extra put onto its run and is doing brilliant business. As someone has already said, it may be too sensitive for the Americans, bit too near home.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Enron worth it?#23
Posted: 5/5/10 at 11:05am
With all due respect, the Guardian article is bull***t. Broadway is no more conservative than the West End, look around at what's playing. This play was deeply flawed and the flashy production couldn't really paper over that fact. The second act especially ran straight downhill. People just didn't respond to the show, accept it.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Is Enron worth it?#24
Posted: 5/5/10 at 11:31am
Broadway is no more conservative than the West End, look around at what's playing.

I agree, but I think one key difference between the West End and Broadway is that there are other theatres in London like the NT and the Royal Court and the Donmar that aren't West End theatres but are often thought of as part of that group, and a huge amount of the quality theatre is either playing there or has transferred directly from there - not West End theatre, but often grouped in with it, including at all the main award ceremonies. From what I can tell, and I could be wrong about this, the difference between commercial and non-commercial theatre is far more clear in New York than in London.

If you compare the commercial West End with the commercial Broadway, ignoring the subsidised theatres, then neither is better than the other (and both are pretty grim).
Updated On: 5/5/10 at 11:31 AM