Young Vic - Been and Gone!!!!

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Young Vic - Been and Gone!!!!#1
Posted: 2/16/10 at 11:19am
August Wilson¯s award-winning drama about the deep effects of slavery, Joe Turner¯s Come And Gone, is to be staged at the Young Vic this summer, directed by the theatre¯s Artistic Director David Lan.

The play, previously staged at the Tricycle theatre in 1990, is the second play in American dramatist Wilson¯s famous Pittsburgh cycle, a decade by decade exploration of the black American experience in the 20th century.

Set in 1911, Joe Turner¯s Come And Gone follows Herald Loomis, who has been forced to work in a slave gang for seven years but is now searching for the wife he left behind to help him regain his lost identity. Through his meetings in a Pittsburgh boarding house, he discovers that what he is actually searching for is his rightful place in a new world.

Two time Pulitzer Prize-winner Wilson was so proud of his play, which premiered on Broadway in 1988, that he commented: ¯After I wrote it I said to myself: If I die tomorrow, I have fulfilled myself as an artist.¯

Joe Turner¯s Come And Gone plays in the Young Vic¯s main house from 27 May to 3 July. It joins a 2010 season which also includes The Cat In The Hat, Sweet Nothings, Kursk, Elegy For Young Lovers, Eurydice and Sus.