MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Telecharge recently completed a very detailed study of [the Broadway]
audience and their favorite performance times: 'We decided to see if
there were significant differences in the geographical breakdown of
customers by performance, using sales data from Broadway shows for
performances between August 31, 2009 and January 3, 2010'.
Here is what
Telecharge found out:

*Tourists are less likely to buy matinees than evenings.
*Suburban theatergoers prefer matinees over evenings.
*People who live in Manhattan prefer Tuesday over Friday or Saturday
night.
*People who live in Manhattan prefer Thursday performances over ANY
other night.
*More tourists attend the theatre on Thursday evening than on
Wednesday.

.....transfer this to UK / London audiences and I wonder what we would see.
Updated On: 2/10/10 at 12:28 PM
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for sharing - those points all match up with my personal experience. Is this published online anywhere?
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The survey really tells as little, except that people in Manhattan are miserable rich buggers who are too tight to go to the theatre on a Friday or Saturday night!!!

Updated On: 2/10/10 at 03:57 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well they never surveyed this tourist LOL When I visit Manhattan I go to matinees AND evening shows and EVERY night of the week. And if they had matinees on days other than Wed, Sat & Sun I'd go then too!

Also.....even if the statistics quoted are accurate - who the f... cares ?lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They cant help having a bloody pattern when theres only a matinee on stupid Weds! Hello!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is a bit bloody obvious that tourist aren't going to go to matinees, what is a tourist going to do, do a whole day sightseeing or go to see a afternoon show then Statue of Liberty or Central Park 9:00pm on a wet winter day, a bit of a no brainer if you ask me.

Presides it is known matinees are for local pensioners and mad theatre goers like us!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Um??? Every Weds matinee I have ever been to in New York (or elsewhere) are always full -full of tourists!
Everyone else is working!
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would have thought the survey would have mentioned the popularity of Sunday shows with Manhattan audiences.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You have to realize a couple of things that aren't mentioned in the snippet from Telecharge.

First off that on Tuesday nights, a vast majority or shows have an early 7 PM curtain. This is so that people who are commuting into the city to see a show can do so comfortably on a work day and not get home too late.

Wednesday afternoon shows are usually filled with school groups and busses that take the elderly into the city to see a show. Also, keep in mind that in the summer replace school groups with local camps and it is still the same thing.

I also think that one of the reasons why tourists wouldn't buy tickets to a matinee is due to the fact that they wish to sightsee and walk around the city. And, despite the fact that NYC is actually one of the safest cities in America, there are people who still feel that they are walking around the NYC of 30 some odd years ago. Where Times Square was still a shady area as was much of New York. There are a lot of people in America who, when they hear New York, they think of all the negative things that are frankly not going on in the city anymore nor have they since the 80's.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll