Page: 1

The 2010 Academy Award Nominations

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #1
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:04am
'Nine' has four nominations including Best Supporting Actress- Penelope Cruz and Music, Original Song- 'Take It All'

The complete list is here.
http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/82/nominees.html

Updated On: 2/2/10 at 09:04 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #2
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:31am
Having now seen Avatar, as good as it is, it does not deserve anything other than technical awards.

Id like to see The Hurt Locker take Best Picture, or actually 'Up'. Would love an animated movie make history and take the award
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #2
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:33am
Totally with you.
I would love to see Meryl get it for the divine 'Julie And Julia'- possibly my fav film last year!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #3
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:36am
hmmm id like Sandra to take the award for actress. Havent seen the film but I jst think its about time she is recognised as I think she is brilliant.

Having said that, Oscar seems to have a curse on it, all its female winners seem to either vanish or start making poor films!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #4
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:38am
Bette Davis said something along the same lines many decades ago!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #5
Posted: 2/2/10 at 11:15am
Funny that Avatar got Best Picture and Best Director but nothing in the acting category or screenplay, I wonder if the reason it has been nominated is because it has made so much money. I think it is between Hurt Locker and Avatar and Bigelow and Cameron.

I was dissapointed that my favourite animated film of 2009 after Up Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs didn't get nominated as it's a wonderful film both storywise and visually. I think Up being nominated in Best Animated Feature which it will win as well Best Picture denied Cloudy and also Ponyo a nomination.
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #6
Posted: 2/2/10 at 11:23am
Avatar is such a joke, whilst its a fun film its the tech that should be praised and thats it.

Im rooting for Sandra and Up as well as the Hurt Locker and the brilliant Un Prophète
former sadm2 (wink)
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #7
Posted: 2/2/10 at 11:49am
Really hope Meryl Streep doesn't win. I hope Sandra does, but wouldn't mind if Carey or Gabourey did either.

So pleased Take it All was nominated for Nine, as I think it's a much better song than Cinema Italiano, which was nominated for lots of other awards.

Other than that I'm quite open, although I would be over the Moon if District 9 won best film.
Once you start to spread it, Baby, if you let it, Love comes right on back to you . . .
Updated On: 2/3/10 at 11:49 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #8
Posted: 2/2/10 at 11:50am
'Up' almost had me in tears before that first segment was finished.
A beautiful movie.

Isn't if funny how powerful animated movies have become in recent years.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #9
Posted: 2/2/10 at 11:58am
Up was amazing and I have high hopes for Toy Story 3, I think Pixar has forced Disney to up its game and the return of hand drawn animation with The Princess and the Frog which I'm seeing on Friday. Dreamworks have been a player but I find their films more hit and miss with the exception of the first Shrek and Kung Fu Panda but they tend to milk them dry with unneccesary sequels.

I would highly reccomend Coraline and Fantastic Mr Fox as well the ones that weren't nominated like Ponyo and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Cloudy is already out on DVD while Ponyo is released in the next few weeks.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #10
Posted: 2/2/10 at 12:40pm
One of our films has got two nominations. Good luck to The White Ribbon. Another one has a nomination for best make up. How random is that.

I shan't be holding my breath for a ticket to the event.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #11
Posted: 2/2/10 at 2:10pm
Congratulations!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #12
Posted: 2/2/10 at 2:37pm
Coraline I didnt personally like, but artisically its very good.

Up is stunning, no question, the first 10 mins are genius. Although The Princess and the Frog may stand a chance for return to 2D - cant wait to see it (being the animation geek I am lol). I think Disney are best at 2d animation, their computer generated movies (e.g Bolt) arnt a patch on Pixars.

Cloudy I enjoyed, fun concept and nicely done, but not sure its Oscar winner quality.

Dreamworks are very hit and miss. Madagascar 2 is my favourite, Shrek is ok but feels quite unoriginal now. Didnt like Kung Fu Panda, but I seem to be alone in that lol Their new one How To Train Your Dragon doesnt look very good though.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #13
Posted: 2/2/10 at 2:46pm
I saw an unfinished preview print of 'The Princess And The Frog' in Venice last year and it is fab.
Back to the old style of animation and the score is lovely.
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #14
Posted: 2/2/10 at 2:47pm
I wouldn't rule out Sandra for Best Actress. I have a feeling it could be her year. I wonder if Marion will be singing 'Take it all' on the big night
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #15
Posted: 2/2/10 at 5:35pm
I would say Sandra's the favourite with Meryl a close second. Although I bet I'm going to regret saying that on March the 8th.

I really hope Marion does perform that song. I love it, and really liked her for the first time when I saw her in Nine.
Once you start to spread it, Baby, if you let it, Love comes right on back to you . . .
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #16
Posted: 2/2/10 at 5:39pm
You said a few posts above that you 'really hope Meryl doesnt win' and now you say she almost should!?!?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #17
Posted: 2/2/10 at 5:41pm
Updated On: 2/2/10 at 05:41 PM
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #18
Posted: 2/2/10 at 6:15pm
I saw a preview of The Princess and the Frog and it is really amazing. Looking at the best animated feature I love 3 of the nominations (haven't seen Fantastic Mr Fox or The secret of Kells) and really couldn't choose between them. 3 different animation styles, 3 totally different stories and all of them good films for kids and adults.

I haven't seen Avatar but I hope it doesn't get best picture just because it is selling so well. Give it all the technical awards, please do as it looks amazing technology wise, but not the main awards.
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #19
Posted: 2/2/10 at 6:45pm
Sandra is one of my fav. actresses, but with her getting all of the other major awards of the season, I would really like to see Gabby (Precious) get the award this time.
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #20
Posted: 2/3/10 at 2:54am
Here are my predictions. I always seem to get this wrong every year

Actor in a Leading Role

* Jeff Bridges in “Crazy Heart”
Fantastic performance in a very dull film. Jeff is overdue an Oscar though. He'll probably get this more for his past body of work than this film

Actor in a Supporting Role

* Christoph Waltz in “Inglourious Basterds”
Great performance and should walk off with it. Wouldn't be surprised by an upset from Tucci though

Actress in a Leading Role

* Sandra Bullock in “The Blind Side”
I bloody hope not, but i can see it happening. Oh just bloody give it to Meryl, so we can all go home early

Actress in a Supporting Role

* Mo’Nique in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”
In the bag surely

Animated Feature Film

* “Up” Pete Docter

Directing

* “The Hurt Locker” Kathryn Bigelow
I hope she wins it, just to piss off ex-husband James Cameron

Film Editing

* “The Hurt Locker” Bob Murawski and Chris Innis

Foreign Language Film

* “The White Ribbon” Germany

Makeup

* “Star Trek” Barney Burman, Mindy Hall and Joel Harlow

Music (Original Score)

* “Avatar” James Horner

Music (Original Song)

* “The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)” from “Crazy Heart” Music and Lyric by Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett

Best Picture

* “Avatar” James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers
I hate to say it,but it just might do it

Sound Editing

* “Avatar” Christopher Boyes and Gwendolyn Yates Whittle

Sound Mixing

* “Avatar” Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers, Andy Nelson and Tony Johnson

Visual Effects

* “Avatar” Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham and Andrew R. Jones

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

* “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Screenplay by Geoffrey Fletcher

Writing (Original Screenplay)

* “The Hurt Locker” Written by Mark Boal
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #21
Posted: 2/3/10 at 6:01am
Bit late as usual - what I said was that I don't want Meryl to win, but I think she is the second favourite to win after Sandra. I'm only going by the results at the Critics' Choice, Golden Globe and SAG Awards. I think Best Actress could be the upset this year like Best Actor was last year, even though I was quite happy to see Sean win.

I'm interested how they'll present Best Supporting Actress this year, because if it's like last year it would mean Penelope Cruz introducing herself as one of the nominees. However, I suppose Javier Bardem didn't turn up last year, so they'll just have another previous Best Supporting Actress winner in her place. I wonder if Javier would've turned up had it been like previous years, meaning he would've presented the award to his girlfriend.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #22
Posted: 2/4/10 at 10:11am
I have a new favorite...
Got to see this movie yesterday and my god what a performance from the amazing actress, Carey Mulligan. She is simply amazing and the movie as a whole was brilliant.
She has incredibly strong competition I know, but, it would be great to see an outsider like her come in and win. Stranger things have happened.

Oh! and by the way, if I was a sixteen year old and he (Peter Sarsgarad) stopped me in his car I wouldn't walk home in the rain!
Oh no sir! Front seat straight away me! (and I'd leave my cello at the bus stop!)

Peter Sarsgaard

Careu Mulligan

Updated On: 2/4/10 at 10:11 AM
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
The 2010 Academy Award Nominations #23
Posted: 2/4/10 at 2:42pm
If you like Peter Sarsgaard, he's very good in Kinsey too.

I think you'll find though, that my cousin was cruelly overlooked by the Academy for his scene-stealing turn in An Education as a waiter pouring Champagne in a restaurant!!

Updated On: 2/5/10 at 02:42 PM