'Wonderland -Alice's New Musical Adventure'

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Interesting!
It sounds great.
Now on stage in Houston, Texas (the city where Disney premiered 'Beauty And The Beast' along with many other shows Broadway bound) following a season in Florida over Christmas, this show clearly has its sights on a Broadway run.

This could be the year of Alice what with the new Tim Burton /Johnny Depp take on it in cinemas this summer.
Updated On: 1/17/10 at 11:44 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I posted a thread on this a few months back after I first heard the CD, but I seemed to be alone in having heard it! lol It have to say, for Wildhorn, its pretty good, and quite upbeat. However having seen clips/photos from the production im less sure.

Oh and the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland is out in March, not the summer...and I cant wait!!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm sure it will need a lot of fine tuning if it gets anywhere near Broadway!

I saw 'Avatar' in New York last week (well, 1hr 20min of the rubbish) and they screened the preview of Tim Burton's movie and it looks nothing short of stunning in 3D!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hmmm Avatar just doesnt interest me, all the trailers havent been great for it and some of the effects look ropey, but the reviews have been very good...did you like?

Alice in Wonderland is my 'must see' movie this year
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Avaatar' -It bored my me stupid!
I walked after 1hr 20mins and i wasn't the first. I counted at least 20 leaving before me.

Now that they want to do 'Star Wars' in 3D why cant we have 'Helly Dolly' in 3D???
Mind that would mean the audience would be ducking every time 3D Barbra came on screen!
Updated On: 1/17/10 at 12:20 PM
philly03 Profile Photophilly03 Profile Photo
philly03
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Saw WONDERLAND in Tampa - very good, it will certainly have you laughing! The music is all fantastic, but it's the lyrics and book that need some work; the book actually needs a lot of work. Apparently they've added atleast one new song in Houston already.

Unfortunately doesn't look like it's Broadway bound this season - star Janet Dacal will be returning to In the Heights immediately following the Houston run 'Wonderland -Alice's New Musical Adventure'.
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
lol Mama I'd pay to duck through Hello Dolly. A friend tried to get me to see Avatar this weekend and looked horrified when I said 'not really my thing' surely blue forest people are everyone's thing?

Anyway, looking foreward to both Alices instead!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Avatar, my god, I felt insulted while watching that film, everything was explained to the audience like we were dumb 5 year olds who didnt understand, ANYTHING, I also found it completely unoriginal!

ANYWAY, the reason I'm on this thread, I've given the concept recording a listen, and, for me, it falls into the same pattern as ALL Wildhorn shows, there are a few VERY strong songs (Such as the opening which I have listened too countless times) but most are forgettable and nothing special!
I think I would like to see this show, but it's not one thats gonna make me rush to get a ticket!
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

For me you could have watched Avatar in 2D and still got the same effect. Bring back the amazing Kiss Me Kate in 3D. I saw it a few years ago at the BFI, and it was amazing.

philly03
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The concept album was done in the style of previous Wildhorn concept albums, most notably The Scarlet Pimpernel and The Civil War -- a POP edition of the songs.

Songs like "Nick of Time," "Don't Wanna Fall in Love," and even "One Knight" are overly pop-ed from what they sound like in the show. I will say this - don't judge if you should see it or not based off the concept recording, it really is a show you gotta see live!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Here's a hilarious but spooky comparison of Avatar with Disney's Pocahontas.

chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
"Bring back the amazing Kiss Me Kate in 3D"- I totally forgot it was filmed in 3D. I remember wtaching it when i was younger thinking "why are they allpointing powards the camera" and such.... id love to see it on a big screen as it was meant to be!!! :)
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Wildhorn show? Really, Mama? Your taste is increasingly suspect, which, by this point, is saying a LOT.

And I haven't seen Avatar, mostly because it's supposed to be only worth it for the 3D and wearing 3D glasses over my regular specs for three hours sounds mighty uncomfortable.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Wonderland -Alice's New Musical Adventure'#14
Posted: 1/24/10 at 10:27am
I know, I surprised my self. I am far from being a big fan. Im not saying Im going Wildhorn over this tho.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't like any Wildhorn scores, however I was positive about this on hearing the concepts. But when I saw the clips etc....not so much. Also, maybe just a little odd that the Hatter doesn't have a...hat? Just gonna put that out there 'Wonderland -Alice's New Musical Adventure'
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
philly03
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was some bizarre photo choosing that BROADWAY WORLD picked. If you go on the Wonderland site there are photos which are more...appropriate I guess you'd say? The Hatter wears a hat (a Napoleon hat) throughout the entire show until about Nick of Time from what I remember...which by that time she is supposed to have gone too mad!

The music on the concept album is orchestrated in extreme POP and the show, while a pop score, is orchestrated differently for the theatre (as are most Wildhorn shows / concept albums!).