Page: 1

New Yorker needs HELP! Discounts and Suggestions

Play  Esq. Profile PhotoPlay  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Visiting New Yorker coming in the second week of April and I need a few suggestions/discount assistance.

As for suggestions, I would love to catch more modern works, David Hare's new play at the National or something akin to "Jerusalem." I'm not very interested in big musicals(we get enough of them here!) but well received/reviewed recommendations of revivals would also be appreciated.

Also, if you could provide ticket websites that offer discount codes, I would greatly appreciate a link or two.

Thanks so much!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Habit of Art is a must! Great play very clever for anyone who likes the theatre. You will have to dayseat for this if you want to see it as its completely sold out.

Jerusalem will have dayseats for 10, and will be best available seats. Think there may be 20 per day but don't quote me on that, will know for sure when it officially opens.

Some revivals yet to open are Private Lives (Vaudeville), London Assurance (National), Mrs Warrens Profession (Comedy) and Ghosts (Duchess).

New play Really Old, Like Forty Five at the national looks like it could be quite good too!

Also if you have never seen Blood Brothers before I highly recommend it
Play Esq.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank you VERY much for the recommendations! Have you heard whether "Art" intends to extend its booking? Otherwise I'll miss it by a week. Still, as excited as I am to see it, I have little doubt that it will be on Broadway very soon. Most New Yorkers who saw it still rave about Griffiths' and de la Tour's performances in "History Boys."

Just looked up London Assurance...would die to see Shaw and Beale in one play! This is a definite MUST. When are non-member tickets anticipated to go on-sale? Thanks again!
Updated On: 1/13/10 at 10:01 PM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Quite soon, probably towards the end of the month booking will open to the general public for April. More performances of Habit of art are due to go on sale soon too!
Play Esq.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Great Mike! Thanks! Looking at the dates of "London Assurance," the inital ticket booking seems to run only through March. The National doesn't often do one month runs, does it? That seems strange.

Oh! And another thing...do you have an opinion on "The Power of Yes"? I love Hare, but the reviews seem a little mixed.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think Hare can be hit or miss so would take the reviews seriously.

Enron will still be on in April, although I believe that is transferring to New York. That along with Jerusalem are my two priorities on the new play front.

Check out whatever is on at the Donmar and the Young Vic as well.

It's a shame Red (currently at the Donmar) will have finished its run as that is the best new play I've seen in years. It certainly deserves a life beyond the Donmar.

I believe Ghosts is Iain Glen's directorial debut, so I personally will wait for the reviews before booking.

I saw a regional production of London Assurance about five years ago and found it an unamusing load of twaddle: like Gilbert and Sullivan without the music. It's definitely not in the Oscar Wilde league.

Theatremonkey is the best website for useful information and good deals.
Play Esq.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank you Scripps.

Enron and Jerusalem were both high on my list, but with the near transfer of the former, I'm leaving that for New York. Presuming London Assurances and Habit of Art extend into April, they are also a certainty.

I have had such wonderful experiences at the Donmar, but it seems as though "Polar Bears" (which I know noting about) is pretty much sold out. Can you tell me the Donmar's policy on releasing seats? Also, if you have heard anything about this production, any insight would be appreciated. My travel companion is obsessed with Sex in City, so I believe "Private Lives" is also in the cards...any advance word? Or, any news on "Posh" at the Royal Court?

I greatly appreciate the help on this board...I haven't been back to London in a couple of years and am completely out of touch with the theater scene. If anyone has some good restaurant recommendations, those are also welcome!
(Hell, anyone know how to get reservations for Gordan Ramsey's on Hospital Road???)