In London "pip! pip!" you sip tea.
But when it comes to love.
None of the above
Compares, compris?
So if it's making love
That you're thinking of,
Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah! Paree!'

Ah Paree!
I know so many of you on here have been to Paris, some many times and I would like to ask your help and advice.
I'm off there next Tuesday for 3 nights.
My first time in the city and I would love to see a few of the out of the way tourist areas, cafes etc.
'Zorro' is the Folies Begere, may pop to that.
A night ate opera is another option.

Anything you can suggest would be great, thanks guys! x

Updated On: 1/8/10 at 09:55 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#2
Posted: 1/5/10 at 11:34am
Ah Paree!

Well don't forget the Bouffes du Nord- Peter Brook's home. He had a new play on just before Christmas- I'm not sure if it's still running.

And for a bit of art, try the Comedie Francaise- the auditorium is beautiful

Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#2
Posted: 1/5/10 at 1:36pm
I haven't been for years but I may yet get there in February for A Little Night Music, so reccomendations appreciated by me too.

My French is non-existent - will I be able to manage?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#3
Posted: 1/5/10 at 7:10pm
No
Haha- thats my French!
mrcacou Profile Photomrcacou Profile Photo
mrcacou
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Ah Paree!#4
Posted: 1/6/10 at 12:48pm
@ Scripps2

If you mean "will I understand a LIttle Night Music ?" the show will be performed in English which means it would not be a problem.

@ MamasDoin'Fine

Zorro is kind of cool visually. The music is ok. It is a fun show to watch.
If you need tips on what to see I would say try to visit the old Parisians Passages next to La Comédie Française, it is a must see not always referenced in travel books. Have a bite at Chartier one night, it is cheap and the setting has not changed in over 100 years. Do not hesitate to PM me or write on that board if you need any piece of advice.
In my heart, I found the answered dream, and in my soul I found the song, and in my friends I found the magic, the love, the moon up above- they were mine, all mine, all along..!
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#5
Posted: 1/6/10 at 5:43pm
I was meaning how do I manage between getting off the Eurostar and sitting down in my theatre seat. I understand the French consider it rude if you don't make an effort to speak French but I can't help thinking it would be even more rude to try with my abysmal language skills.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#6
Posted: 1/6/10 at 5:48pm
I cant believe how expensive the shows I want to see are.
Moulin Rouge, no cheaper seats than 90E.
Folies Bergere, 120
Crazy Horse 120.
The top price for these are up at 190E. How ridiculous.

Eiffel Tower - 8E.

Does any one have any info on those wonderful cafes/bars where they have cabaret singers etc (or is that just in movies?)

RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ah Paree!#7
Posted: 1/6/10 at 6:18pm
I'm going to Paris with a friend at the end of may, and we're seeing the tour of Les Mis =)
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#8
Posted: 1/6/10 at 6:26pm
Can you speak French Sparks?
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
Ah Paree!#9
Posted: 1/6/10 at 9:19pm
You see, I hate Paris. Oops. I used to have to go through it all the time when I lived in France (I refuse to fly unless completely necessary), but that was my favourite way of seeing it - from the taxi from the Gare Du Nord to the Gare D'Austerlitz and back again.

However, one time when I went on holiday there I went to a really nice café/bar called Café de Flore. That's my nice tip, don't know about music there though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe_de_flore I only went there because it was in Absolutely Fabulous, and Mother and I stole an ashtray, but it was very nice.

Other than that, I've never done the theatre over there, just cinema and touristy things, so I know about that but not much else.
Once you start to spread it, Baby, if you let it, Love comes right on back to you . . .
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Ah Paree!#10
Posted: 1/6/10 at 10:18pm
Mama, go to the catacombs! They're really interesting and pretty cheap - they're underground, and they lead to ossuaries and a road the Romans used to ferry limestone on. One of the best things I visited in Paris!

http://www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/english.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#11
Posted: 1/7/10 at 5:18am
No, honestly any little tip is much appreciated, many thanks. I'll bring you all back an ashtray!
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
Ah Paree!#12
Posted: 1/7/10 at 3:41pm
My top tips are La Grande Arche de la Défense for great views of Paris, but only if you're there for more than 3 days, as it's a bit out of the way. I love the whole area of La Defense for its modern architecture, although last time I went there it seemed a bit run-down.

Also, le Sacré-Coeur and Montmartre. The church is really nice (I wet myself just outside it when I was much younger), and then on the same hill there's nice markets and shops, where I bought a cat umbrella Ah Paree!

Other than that, I quite like just wandering whatever city I'm in to find places with food or drink I may like.
Once you start to spread it, Baby, if you let it, Love comes right on back to you . . .
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ah Paree!#13
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:40am
Scripps, no, but my friend does. I've been there before a couple times, last was for a music tour, and most people can speak english and didn't mind if we did. :)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#14
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:42am
Its the Spanish who get more offended if you don't try to speak their language whilst in their country.
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ah Paree!#15
Posted: 1/8/10 at 11:07am
To make matters worse, the Spanish can't even decide what language to speak themselves. A guy I was trying to communicate with kept switching between "proper Spanish" (which I have a GCSE in and therefore understand fully) and whatever the bizarre local language (Valenciano?) is. He should have tried talking to my uncle, whose very English pronunciation - "grassy arse, sin-yure" - always goes down very well over there. Ah Paree!

But yes, err... Paris. I think Leon Lopez is playing Frid in ALNM. I suddenly want to be Petra!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#16
Posted: 1/8/10 at 11:32am
Thats one my daily hurdles living there, you so right.
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
Ah Paree!#17
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:04pm
Interesting!

Love Spain, hate France. I speak both languages and have lived in both countries but always find the French unbearably unhelpful whatever language I speak to them. Portugal's the way forward people - not the touristy bits!
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#18
Posted: 1/8/10 at 11:11pm
Scripps, I've been to Paris three times and have never had a problem with getting around. I know a few phrases in French like "excuse me" and "where is the ..." I am from the south in USA and with my accent fractured those phrases. I never had a negative experience with anyone. Paris is beautiful...you'll love it.
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#19
Posted: 1/9/10 at 6:10pm
That's good to know ArtMan.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah Paree!#20
Posted: 1/12/10 at 5:59am
Im on me way!
T5 having a little drinkie and taking advantage of the free WiFi that sleeking from the lounge!
Ah Paree!
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ah Paree!#21
Posted: 1/15/10 at 9:19am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FYCle2Mg3s

Leon Lopez and Fran Jackson on their way to Pareeeeeeee