Page: 1

About blooming time!

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
About blooming time!#1
Posted: 12/14/09 at 3:24pm
http://www.oliverthemusical.com/

Nearly a year after opening Oliver finally gets a decent website. Griff looks great as Fagin, and the new Bill Sykes I recognise from The Bill I think, perfect look for Bill. Some good videos on there to.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About blooming time!#2
Posted: 12/14/09 at 4:29pm
Oom Pah Pah!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About blooming time!#2
Posted: 12/14/09 at 5:03pm
With ticket sales dropping they need a decent website as a selling tool, whereas before they didnt need to actively promote. Shame they were so lazy about it originally
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: About blooming time!#3
Posted: 12/14/09 at 7:28pm
Interestingly, if you look at the credit at the bottom, the site's by aka - not Dewynters, with whom Cameron has a very long standing relationship (indeed, the Oliver logo is a Dewynters creation)

So's Hair's website. Hmmm.
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: About blooming time!#4
Posted: 12/15/09 at 11:42am
Looking good, like the layout twitter buttons etc. Griff does look good, I'm a bit sorry I missed him by a couple of weeks-not sorry enough to go again, one dose of Oliver a year is enough!

That said I watched part of the film for the first time in years this afternoon (end of term pacifying measures in school!) and I'd forgotten just how much I like it and just how great some of the dancing is in that. Pity the little darlings didn't appreciate it!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: About blooming time!#5
Posted: 12/15/09 at 2:00pm
Mamma i LOVE your picture
former sadm2 (wink)
andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: About blooming time!#6
Posted: 12/16/09 at 3:36am
I saw this last Friday and the guy from the Bill was excellent in the role of Bill. Omid Djalili was absolutely outstanding and his improvised lines and the musical ammendments that had been made for him were superb - he really stole the show. Im sure that GRJ will play the role very differently but equally well
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About blooming time!#7
Posted: 12/16/09 at 6:54am
Its very interesting that Cameron has moved his Oliver! account and new Hair account to aka.

Dewynters were the "premier" marketing service providers for big musicals but over the past few years, since aka won over Billy Elliot and Dirty Dancing, a lot of shows have opened up their "accounts" to other agencies - like Target Live and EMG.

Dewynters have been quite old in their approaches to musical promotions following the same trends but in last 5 years especially marketing has changed hugely - online/website/social marketing and I just don't think they have kept up - where as AKA (as slow and hard to deal with as they are) have introduced newer marketing tools. And probably more to point, are a lot cheaper than AKA!

The general rule is - brand new shows (that need artwork etc) go to Dewynters and creatively they are super with there huge amount of years in the musical theatre (creating iconic designs for Cats, Saigon, Les Mis, Phantom and even recently Gone With The Wind, the show was awful but the design super) but if you have the artwork (revivals, transfers) then AKA/EMG are usually now the marketing/advertising guys.

Also over the past years the marketing guys have tried to muscle in on sales and box office - and the huge majority just don't know how to sell theatre and as result have cost shows a lot of failures.

Going back to Camerons - I think AKA should have done Avenue Q.