Page: 1

Ricard Coyle joins Polar Bears, John Sim does Hamlet and Megan Mullally comes to London

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jodhi May and Richard Coyle, who have been cast in Polar Bears, the first piece novelist Mark Haddon has written directly for the stage. The play, described by director Jamie Lloyd as 'a very dark comedy', is about a woman, a children's writer and illustrator suffering from bipolar syndrome, and a man - a potential psychopath (he's a lecturer in philosophy) - both of whom are trying to make sense of very different worlds.
Lloyd told me: 'It has its own rules: part murder mystery, part adult fairy story and part family drama - and all wrapped up in black comedy.' At a recent reading of the play, there were a lot of laughs. Rehearsals begin on February 22 and performances, at the Donmar, on April 1. Meanwhile, Red opened at the Donmar this week, with Alfred Molina and Eddie Redmayne giving two of the richest performances I've seen all year.
It's a play - at times exhilarating - about painter Mark Rothko and an assistant. For me it was, ultimately, about why artists (writers, painters, actors, directors or whatever) do what they do.
I hear it's sold out. Therefore it must be allowed to transfer (and it needs to be an intimate house) into the West End proper.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1234922/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-John-Simm-joins-Jude-Law-David-Tennant-taking-role-Hamlet.html#ixzz0ZMWpPKNG

David Tennant by taking on role of Hamlet
By Baz Bamigboye
Last updated at 1:37 AM on 11th December 2009
Comments (0) Add to My Stories Hamlet in Sheffield: John Simm is the third British actor to play Shakespeare's Danish prince in recent times
You wait years for a Hamlet and then three come along, almost all at once.
David Tennant played the troubled Dane for the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford and London. Then Jude Law tackled the role as part of the Donmar Theatre's West End season, and went with the show to Broadway, where it soared.
Now John Simm will give his interpretation of the sweet prince at Sheffield's Crucible Theatre in the autumn.
Actually, Simm and Tennant are old friends and have been working together on Tennant's final Dr Who programmes.
Simm, best known for television dramas State Of Play and Life On Mars, regularly graces the stage. Indeed, he's in Speaking In Tongues at the Duke of York's, which ends its run tomorrow.
In Sheffield, he will work with regular theatre collaborator Paul Miller, who directed the actor in the plays Elling and Goldhawk Road. Miller's also one of three associate directors of the Crucible and was appointed by artistic chief Daniel Evans.
Evans, himself an award-winning actor, said that playing Hamlet does terrify actors. 'John had the right mix of being thrilled and at the same time a kind of look that said: "Oh my gosh, am I actually going to do this?" But he and Paul are both elated about doing it,' Evans told me.
'John's dead right for Hamlet. And he and Paul have talked about it for a little while, so they have some ideas. I think they have a particularly contemporary take on it.'
Meanwhile, Evans will direct a production of Ibsen's Enemy Of The People at the Crucible. Rehearsals for that start on January 4 with Antony Sher, John Shrapnel and Lucy Cohu leading a company that includes Susannah Fielding, Trystan Gravelle, Brodie Ross, Chook Sibtain, Philip Joseph, Roger Bingham, Chris Brailsford, Daniel Poyser, Alex Blake and Charles McClury.
The play begins performances on February 11, with an official first night on February

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1234922/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-John-Simm-joins-Jude-Law-David-Tennant-taking-role-Hamlet.html#ixzz0ZMWxihDk

Come on, Megan, give us a quick chorus of Agadoo...

Songbird: Megan Mullally, best known for playing Karen in Will & Grace, is bringing her band to London in February
Megan Mullally is trying to work out what the 'least beloved songs' in Britain are, so she can sing them to us.
The American actress and singer (pictured), known for playing Karen Walker - she of the droll put-downs and the trademark up- do in the TV comedy Will & Grace - will be making her first professional appearance in London, playing a gig with her band Supreme Music Program at London's Vaudeville Theatre for eight performances only from February 16.
'It's a concert, not a show,' she explained carefully, so people don't get the wrong idea.
'I ramble on between songs, there's no lighting design, no fancy costumes, just the band and me singing,' she told me matter-of-factly.
Megan is also very clear about what she will or won't sing. 'Our thing is that we do a very esoteric mix of songs from every genre, and they're all covers,' she explained, listing some examples of rock, jazz, and American roots music.
'We don't do a lot of show tunes, and if we do, we really try to deconstruct it,' she told me. Ave Maria, for instance (I guess it's a show tune to some!), sounds like no version you've ever heard before, on Free Again, the album featuring Megan and Supreme Music Program.
When I asked her who chose the numbers, she laughed. 'No democracy involved. I pick all the songs, but the arrangements are all done in a group. I will often set the tone for each song and how I would like it to feel, and then everybody collaborates.'
I've seen her in Broadway shows including How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying and Young Frankenstein and she knows how to sell a song. But Broadway melodies are not what gets her up in the morning.
She started the band about 11 years ago and initially it began as 'a weird theatre piece' in Los Angeles. But the group expanded and, in between her theatre and TV work, she toured the U.S., playing coast-to-coast.
After the London stint, she has some TV projects and a revival of Terrence McNally's play Lips Together, Teeth Apart, which Joe Mantello will direct at New York's Roundabout Theatre.
Also in the works is Karen The Musical, based on her Will & Grace character which, hopefully, will begin life in LA once writers Jeff Whitty and Bruce Vilanch get to work. Casey Nicholaw is on board to direct, which is good news only if you liked The Drowsy Chaperone.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1234922/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-John-Simm-joins-Jude-Law-David-Tennant-taking-role-Hamlet.html#ixzz0ZMX8dHIo
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have her albums- god they are boring! A few numbers are OK but the rest!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Doesnt do anything for me either but I suspect others will be very excited
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't get me wrong, I think she is a great comedy actress al be it in the limited work she has done but these albums are just down right bizzare!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I want to go to Sheffield. That cast for Enemy of the People TOTALLY works for me (John Shrapnel makes EVERYTHING better; he was the murderer in a Midsomer Murders repeat the other week, and I've been filled with glee because of that ever since XD), and I wanna see a Simm-y Hamlet! Bahhhhh!