And All That Jazz

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And All That Jazz#1
Posted: 11/18/09 at 2:30am
And All That Jazz

The London production of the Broadway musical, 'Chicago', will play its 5000th performance tonight, Wed 18th November at the Cambridge theatre.

The production opened at the Adelphi Theatre on 18th Nov, 1997 after a long preview period from Oct 28th.
And All That Jazz
It continued to play at the Adelphi for the next 8 and half years to full houses and had a number of names play its lead roles including a visit from Broadway legend Chita Rivera. Ms Rivera starrd in the original 1975 Broadway production.

In early 2006 negotiations began with the shows producers and the Adelphis owner, Andrew Lloyd Webber, to move the show to another West End theatre.
Lloyd Webber wanted the Adelphi for his revival of 'Evita'.

And All That Jazz
On 26th April 2006 the show re-opened at The Cambridge theatre which, coincidentally was the home of the original Broadway production back in 1979.

Happy Birthday 'Chicago'!

And All That Jazz

Updated On: 11/18/09 at 02:30 AM
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: And All That Jazz#2
Posted: 11/18/09 at 11:32am
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHICAGO! Absolutely my fav. show of all time! saw it wayy too many times!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: And All That Jazz#2
Posted: 11/18/09 at 1:28pm
I am not a fan of the show, but who would of thought when it opened on Broadway in November 1996 that this revival would run so long? I include both sides of the Atlantic in that. I assume from New York grosses, it is still running very healthy and shows no sign of closing. it has been the most successful revival in Broadway history, also it is the longest running American musical in West End history. its is the 7th most successful show in Broadway history.

I would even hazard a guess here, that this show must be one of the most profitable show to be a producer on, the reason I say this is, Chicago is so cheap to put on. I would love to be a producer on this show, then I might be able to turn left when I go to New York.

5000 shows, who would of thought it?
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: And All That Jazz#3
Posted: 11/18/09 at 2:21pm
I saw it a load of times a couple of years ago, when I knew the conductor, and I'm going with my MT group next Friday for the first time since then =)
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: And All That Jazz#4
Posted: 11/18/09 at 3:10pm
this show definitely needs a strong cast and preferably with a really standing out personality (not TV personality) to make it work! I think in the first few years, they've done a great job... they've kinda lost it in the last 2 years of the Adelphi run, I think it's back to some good cast now ~ (not that I'm fan of Amra's Velma... she can be FIERCE but sometimes can be dull too!)
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings