'Hair' -Gielgud Theatre London 2010 ***THE REVIEWS***

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Hair' -Gielgud Theatre London 2010  ***THE REVIEWS***

New Yorks Public Theater, in association with Cameron Mackintosh, have announce that 'Hair', will open with the original Broadway cast at the Gielgud Theatre on 14 April 2010, following previews from 1 April.

Tickets go on sale Friday 20 November 2009

The musical has book & Lyrics by James Rado and Gerome Ragni and music by Galt MacDermot. It is directed by Diane Paulus, designed by Scott Pask, lighting Michael Chybowski, choreography by Karole Armitage, costumes by Michael McDonald, sound by Acme Sound Partners.

The press releases states that when 'Hair' opens at the Gielgud Theatre next year with the entire Broadway cast, this will mark the first time that an entire original Broadway cast has opened a musical in the West End.

The original Broadway cast were: Gavin Creel (Claude), Will Swenson (Berger), Caissie Levy (Sheila), Kacie Sheik (Jeanie), Darius Nichols (Hud), Bryce Ryness (Woof), Sasha Allen (Dionne), Andrew Kober (Dad/Margaret Mead), Allison Case (Crissy), Megan Lawrence (Mother), Saycon Sengbloh (Abraham Lincoln) Ato Blankson-Wood, Steel Burkhardt, Jackie Burns, Lauren Elder, Allison Guinn, Anthony Hollock, Kaitlin Kiyan, John Moauro, Brandon Pearson, Megan Reinking, Paris Remillard, Maya Sharpe, Theo Stockman, Tommar Wilson.

The year is 1967, and the Vietnam War is at its height. In New York City, a tribe of hippies rails against the establishment, protesting intolerance, brutality, and the dehumanization of society. When Claude, one of their own, gets drafted, he must make a decision about what values are worth fighting for. Songs include Aquarius, Good Morning Starshine, Let the Sunshine In

This new production of the classic 1967 musical had its run extended three times whilst playing at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park in 2008, before transferring to the Al Hirschfield Theatre on Broadway where it continues to play.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8363854.stm

Updated On: 4/14/10 at 12:01 PM
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#2
Posted: 11/17/09 at 12:04pm
Even from when I said about this a few months ago I think this will really take off in London.

Cameron yet again has done a great job in playing in safe by putting it in a theatre that gets lots of passing trade and a theatre that does not have a huge audience capacity.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#2
Posted: 11/17/09 at 12:08pm
He's got it wrong with the show being the first time a complete Broadway cast has come to london.
'Aint Misbehavin' at Her Majestys in 1978 was the first complete New York cast I saw in London.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#3
Posted: 11/17/09 at 12:11pm
Didn't Showboat at Prince Eddy in 96 or 7 have a majority original American cast? Or am i making that one up...?!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#4
Posted: 11/17/09 at 12:14pm
'Showboat' I think maybe did but Im not 100%.
He is wrong though and thats false publicity as far as Im concerned.
Updated On: 11/17/09 at 12:14 PM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#5
Posted: 11/17/09 at 12:18pm
Will the public pay 65 a head for a show with unknowns? (Tony awards mean nothing in this country)

Maybe if priced more like Avenue Q it would have a better chance of grabbing its target market.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#6
Posted: 11/17/09 at 12:21pm
Princeton thats what I said last week. They may be a Broadway cast but nobody knows who the hell they are!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#7
Posted: 11/17/09 at 2:39pm
*****A flashback to the original London production at the Shaftesbury Theatre.
26th September 1968 -20th July 1973****

re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010

Paul Nicolas.

Recorded live at an after show rave-up of the original run of 'Hair' at the Shaftesbury Theatre.
The companies of 'Hair' in London were renowned for the after show party's that were held very often and were basically a lock in of the cast, crew and friends.
Clothes were optional and drugs were encouraged!

Updated On: 4/2/10 at 02:39 PM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#8
Posted: 11/17/09 at 3:04pm
"Will the public pay 65 a head for a show with unknowns? (Tony awards mean nothing in this country)

Maybe if priced more like Avenue Q it would have a better chance of grabbing its target market."

I can understand why Hair is charging a hefty 65 to get in, althought I will never pay full price for show's I don't like.

1 - If they cannot sell tickets at 65, the producers just lower the price to find it's market, its harder to put tickets up straight away, if the box office is good

2 - If they get brilliant reviews and Hair becomes a hot show, its happy days and punters do pay they much on a whim.

3 - The most crucial point, when it goes to tkts the half price value is better at 32:50 than say 30:00, all those 2:50 makes a big diffrents to producers.

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#9
Posted: 11/17/09 at 3:45pm
The 1979 movie.
A huge box office flop released way too late after the hippies of the 60s had chopped their hair down to a respectable length.

There was no nudity in the movie version.

Updated On: 11/17/09 at 03:45 PM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#10
Posted: 11/17/09 at 4:20pm
I think at 65 a ticket it will be on TKTS from early on in it's run. I wonder if they will do day seats? I've read Legally Blonde won't be doing them so will be interesting to see if Hair also do away with them.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#11
Posted: 11/17/09 at 4:22pm
The 1983 production of Bob Fosses 'Dancin' at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane had a full American company.
Updated On: 11/17/09 at 04:22 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#12
Posted: 11/17/09 at 4:25pm
The 1979 production of 'Aint' Misbehavin' at Her Majesty's theatre had the complete Broadway company.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#13
Posted: 11/17/09 at 4:29pm
The production of 'Damn Yankees' at the Adelphi Theatre had a complete American company.
It played a limited season at the Adelphi with a planned transfer to either The Savoy or Victoria Palace. The extension was cancelled suddenly but if it had continued it would have had a complete British cast headed by Michael Barrymore.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#14
Posted: 11/17/09 at 4:35pm
The 1981 production of 'One Mo' Time' at the Cambridge Theatre opened with the complete New York cast. It then transfered to the Phoenix Theatre where it played for over a year with different companies brought over from America.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#15
Posted: 11/17/09 at 5:48pm
"Didn't Showboat at Prince Eddy in 96 or 7 have a majority original American cast?"

The Hal Prince production at the Prince Edward in 1998 had an American cast but not the original Broadway cast. Though some of the OBC did come over (notably the awesome Michel Bell), Carole Shelley replaced Elaine Stritch, George Grizzard replaced John McMartin and Hugh Panaro replaced Mark Jacoby.

And, as regards HAIR - I think this could be a huge success over here. True the fact that it's the OBC may not boost sales in any way. But this is a FANTASTIC production of a fantastic show (full of very well known songs) - and that will sell tickets.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#16
Posted: 11/18/09 at 5:55am
Just had a priority booking email through for Hair, picked a random midweek preview date, prices are either 67.00 or 55.00 in stalls
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#17
Posted: 11/18/09 at 1:58pm
When I saw this on Broadway at the Al Hirschfeld (The Broadway theatre, I have to always look up to spell), at the end of act 2 the whole audience from the Circle emptyed on to the stage via a staircase either side of the stage, I wonder if this is possible to do at the Gielgud? (The West End theatre, I have to always look up to spell)?

So there folks if you want to be in a West End musical, this show is a must see!
Updated On: 11/18/09 at 01:58 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#18
Posted: 11/19/09 at 9:27am
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#19
Posted: 11/19/09 at 10:12am
Yes there was nudity in the Hair movie. Beverly D'Angelo took a memorable skinny dip in Central Park lake.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#20
Posted: 11/19/09 at 12:38pm
Blink and you miss it.
It isn't exactly how it is expected in the stage versions I've seen in the last 30 years.
Or maybe I was asleep, it was such a bore of a movie
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#21
Posted: 11/19/09 at 11:26pm
I love the fact that as far as the movie version is concerned, the creators of the musical actually went out on and publicly bashed the creators of the movie saying that it took all the life out of Hair etc.

Another interesting fact is that Hair and Rent, both of which were to be considered groundbreaking shows opened up in the same theatre in London.

There is a thread about this in the Broadway forum and someone there found more in depth information about this whole thing. It turns out that the Broadway cast has been offered the option of going to London. Nothing has been announced yet and that I am sure that the cast is hemming and hawing the risks involved. If they go to London they are doing a novelty run of a show and will come back home to no job at all. Keep in mind that there will be a touring cast out on the road by then and there will also be replacements etc. But, if they stay on Broadway, then they can continue to have a job for as long as they want/need to be at Hair on Broadway.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#22
Posted: 11/20/09 at 6:49am
October 3rd is the last date for any American company members to play.
Not one contract has been signed yet so don't hold your breath about this going through without any slight glitches.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#23
Posted: 11/20/09 at 12:33pm
I thought that is what I said mama. I mean, from what I understand there is a lot for the cast to take into consideration before signing the contract to go over to London.

Keep in mind that if they go to London they will all be left without a job when they return home. This is because if they go to London they wouldn't be allowed to return to their roles on Broadway due to someone else playing it. Considering that there are some cast members who are parents, I think that they wouldn't wish to risk that. I think that there might be some who are going to play it safe and stay in New York
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair - Gielgud Theatre London 2010#24
Posted: 4/2/10 at 11:05am
Now in previews!