The fight for the palladium begins

jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The fight for the palladium begins#1
Posted: 11/6/09 at 12:07pm
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#2
Posted: 11/6/09 at 12:15pm
They can!

Sister Act is more than certainly out of there by end of next Summer (if not before!)

It all depends on Wizard of Oz...

OZ or Shrek will take either Palladium or Drury Lane. Its just about timing of many things. Netherless Shrek will open in the West End Autumn/Early Winter 2010.
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#2
Posted: 11/6/09 at 12:22pm
Really. I thougt it was selling really well
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The fight for the palladium begins#3
Posted: 11/6/09 at 12:44pm
Out of the Palladium doesn't necessarily mean out of the West End. Sister act could transfer to a smaller theatre (I haven't seen it yet so not sure if it would fit).
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#4
Posted: 11/6/09 at 12:49pm
Its a pretty big show SET wise so maybe somewhere like the Apollo Victoria but i doubth wicked's going anywere soon.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The fight for the palladium begins#5
Posted: 11/6/09 at 12:51pm
Surely they can't do this - if people have booked to see the show beyond when Shrek wants to open there.

Sister Act is a huge show (hence why the Palladium was chosen) and all the other 2000+ seater houses in the West End are pretty much full up - unless DIsney plonk Sister Act in at the Lyceum.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#6
Posted: 11/6/09 at 12:56pm
Id be surprised if it transferred as there is no way tha tset will go anywhere else, and the cost of a transfer together with new set im not sure would be worth it. They could close it and transfer the set (or as much as possibly) to Broadway. Maybe do a new smaller scale touring version for the UK.

Shrek to Palladium and Oz to Drury Lane (or vica versa). Due to ALWs ill health, I would imagine it could be Shrek to Palladium as Shrek will be ready to go and Sister Act has been struggling a bit since it opened (eg always discounted and never sold out completely). Oliver could probably hold on longer and Oz move in when ready.
Still cant see Shrek doing any better over here though.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The fight for the palladium begins#7
Posted: 11/6/09 at 12:57pm
The palladium doesn't seem to house really long runs and if it does see out the summer that is still over a year.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#8
Posted: 11/6/09 at 12:58pm
Why would Disney close Lion King for Sister Act which they have nothing to do with?

Plus plenty of shows haave been booking to a certain date and then closed earlier than their booking to date, certainly nothing new there.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The fight for the palladium begins#9
Posted: 11/6/09 at 1:07pm
The show has ties with Disney. David Schnieder and Alan Menken mostly (Plus Disney, interestingly enough, made the souvenirs for the musical)

True - it's nothing to do with them - I'd just rather see The Lion King close more than Sister Act.

I think ALW will have the final say as to what can happen - and he'd rather put his Wizard of OZ in there. At least Glenn Slater will be happy as he's doing lyrics for that too!.

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#10
Posted: 11/6/09 at 1:14pm
A problem with London theatre is that we do not have many mid size theatres (1300-1800 seats), which producers find ideal, we only have 5 - Adelphi, Palace, Prince Edward, Shaftsbury and Victoria Palace. Compared with New York which has 16 - Broadway, Gershwin, Hilton, Hirschfeld, Lunt Fontanne, Imperial, Majestic, Maquis, Minskoff, Neil Lennon, New Amsterdam, Palace. St James, Shubert, Winter Gardens, Richard Rodgers.

However London has 4 super theatres (2000+) which New York doesn't, Palladium, Lyceum, Apollo Victoria and Drury Lane, which is great as long as you can sell out your tickets, hopefully at full price initially to pay for the show, if you must sell tickets at discount price you need to fill the theatre as the rent on these houses is going to be astronomical.

This is where Sister Act has failed, it has gone into a too big theatre for the show, I am not talking the show here, the show is perfect, I am talking financial (box office), Sister Act is not selling all its seats and doing too many discounts and comps, so what I am saying is that the theatre is too big for its box office.

Exactly the same happened with La Cage, Saturday Night Fever, Showboat, Fiddler on the Roof here at the Palladium, Beauty and the Beast, Grand Hotel, Barnum at the Dominion, Lord of the Rings, Witches of Eastwick, Anything Goes at the Lane, if these production played mid size theatre the run could of been a lot longer, as the rent would be more manageable.

However if you get to sell out the super houses the rewards are magnificent.

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#11
Posted: 11/6/09 at 2:22pm
bravo, well said ^
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#12
Posted: 11/6/09 at 2:37pm
Shud we get read for a closing notcie anytime soon?
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The fight for the palladium begins#13
Posted: 11/6/09 at 2:38pm
"Surely they can't do this - if people have booked to see the show beyond when Shrek wants to open there."

They'll just refund those who've bought tickets - all sorts of shows open their booking periods long beyond when they think the show will still be open by and then have to refund sales for cancelled performances due to closure. And there's probably a clause in RUT's contract with Stage Entertainment that says if the show dips below its break-even point a certain number of weeks in a row they can give them notice to close it. No doubt something similar resulted in LOTR getting the boot in favour of Oliver last year.

Lion King is in no danger of closing. Lion King makes money everywhere (it's even making money in FRANCE, and the French HATE musicals that aren't in giant stadiums.)
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#14
Posted: 11/6/09 at 3:17pm
Shrek? Really? Why can't that rubbish stay on the other side of the Atlantic?

Would much rather have Oz.
trevytoe
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: The fight for the palladium begins#15
Posted: 11/6/09 at 5:19pm
I can't imagine Sister Act's sets fitting anywhere in New York that would be available. Those sets are MASSIVE. When I saw it last month that was the one thing I could not get over.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#16
Posted: 11/6/09 at 5:21pm
The NYC production would probably need new sets built anyways - the union rules are FAR stricter there than there.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#17
Posted: 11/6/09 at 5:38pm
Lets make one point on here clear, The Lion King just like Phantom of the Opera will never close in London as well as Broadway both shows will run forever, as both are firmly tourist attractions.

As Mama keeps reinforcing the point on here, booking periods are just a marketing ploy, it has no real meaning, except it is possible to purchase tickets up to the end of the booking period, if the show is still there, well that is another question entirely!
Updated On: 11/6/09 at 05:38 PM
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#18
Posted: 11/6/09 at 7:06pm
I think that the most likely thing to occur with Sister Act coming to Broadway is this. That they will downgrade some of the sets and fit it into one of many Broadway's midsize theatres.

I think that the problem in London is that there are no midsize theatres. It is either very big or on the smallish size.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#19
Posted: 11/7/09 at 5:40am
Mama and me always say the same thing when people say "they can't close it if it is booking to xxx" Booking periods are used (now really) for PR stories, marketing ploys and the get more money from group bookers in advance which gets more equity into the show. Producers realease extra booking periods all the time to get more cash flow having no real knowledge if the show will last to fulfil in many cases. Obviously if Mamma Mia or Lion King booked in 2011 if almost certain to still be running but that fact that Sister Act is booking to October... really is a bet.

Sister Act really did open in too big of a theatre - but they wanted it done big and in London if you want a big stage - you have to have a big audience capacity. Broadway has large stages for under 1000 audience capacity. Also Broadway stages are very wide, unlike London.

I doubt Sister Act will transfer. Its very costly and I doubt it will have any reward. It will just head straight to Broadway and try and again. Like Shrek is doing here.

Shrek - If opening in Autumn 2010 will be a hit if done right. Its opening right after the release of "Shrek Goes Forth" the film - so hype will be there and its opening just before Xmas. If they put a few names in the cast that are also good... it will do fine in the Palladium for a year or more... which should turn a profit for the show no problem.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#20
Posted: 11/7/09 at 7:32am
They can close it next week if they so wish and also if ALW wants it gone he will give them notice.
The Lyceum has The Lion King' for a good few more years- its playing to average 80%.
Disney have nothing to do with 'Sister Act' and its hysterical to say they do just cos Menkin wrote the score!
The show has done well but far from well enough for it to transfer after its closing at the Palladium next September.

If 'Shrek' goes to The Lane as I was told in New York this week and ALW delays slightly Wizard' then the Palladium has a Qudos panto booking in pencil, just as a filler, until early 2011.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#21
Posted: 11/7/09 at 5:34pm
***I've just brought this post that i did on the Broadway thread over to us.

When 'Sister Act' announced its opening dates there was indeed a distinct lack of the size theatre it really needed to play in.
Drury lane had 'Oliver!'
Adelphi was/is holding out for 'Phantom Dross'
Dominion not available for at least another 2 years being the home of 'We Will Rock You'
'Wicked' London's biggest selling show in 15 years ain't vacating the Apollo any time soon.
...it goes on and on.

The London Palladium is a very much desired theatre but not all shows work there.

The set of 'Sister Act' is big but could easily of been done in a smaller stage house.

Popular opinion last March was that two shows, 'Priscilla' and 'Sister Act' should have swapped theatres. I still think this would have been a good option. 'Priscilla is selling better than all other shows except 'Oliver!'. It could have done a set season at the Palladium of 18 months and 'Sister Act' could have had a very healthy run at the Palace.
The sight line horrors of 'Priscilla' at the Palace would not have happened at the Palladium and 'Sister Act' has no action that would have been hindered by the Palaces sigh lines.
'Sister Act' will continue to do good business at the Palladium until it close next September. The announcement that 'Shrek' may take the theatre is not this weeks news, its been around for months.
That being said, the most likely home for it is going to be the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane and Lloyd Webber is gonna but his new baby, 'The Wizard Of Oz' into his Palladium.

**The Australian producers of 'Priscilla' are in London re-casting this week. The show is now know to be making the Palace its home until early 2011.

Updated On: 11/7/09 at 05:34 PM
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#22
Posted: 11/7/09 at 5:45pm
I don't want Shrek in any West End theatre.

I don't really want Oz or Phantom Dross either

Can't we have something new and fresh and exciting?

At least Sister Act fell met all of those requirements.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#23
Posted: 11/7/09 at 8:14pm
'Can't we have something new and fresh and exciting?'

Exactly! I will be so...ashamed if the three big London shows become Shrek, Phantom 2 and ALW's The Wizard of Oz - ugh, makes me sick to imagine this, and sicker that I can see it happening. I just want something new! Even a nice revival or something will make better entertainment than this dribble! I really do hope Sister Act hold out for a while; although I personally don't like Sister Act as a piece (story etc and I'm not a huge comedy fan) its an original score and a new venture and hasn't made itself any less of an impressive production just cause they know it will sell - and its nice to see something original, especially scorewise. Oz, obviously not an original score and I can imagine Phantom 2 will be made up of riffs from the original and be entirely unimganitive, and have we seen Shrek as a production? In a word - horrifying. We want something new and exciting! Not rubbish thats only here to put bums on seats - something with heart please London, what do you take us for?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The fight for the palladium begins#24
Posted: 11/8/09 at 12:46am
A little off topic here but does ALW really believe he can top Harold Arlen's THE WIZARD OF OZ score? What a joke. One place it will NEVER be accepted is the U.S.A. A feel a major bomb coming your way.