Page: 1

London Grosses

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London Grosses#1
Posted: 11/2/09 at 4:48pm
I just finished reading the New York grosses, as this tells you a lot about, what state New York theatre is in. We have done it to death the opinions on grosses in London, we all know this would be very very unlikely.

What I woul like to find out, simply whether you would like to see grosses published for London?

I am a yes!
Updated On: 11/2/09 at 04:48 PM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: London Grosses#2
Posted: 11/3/09 at 3:19am
Yes
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: London Grosses#2
Posted: 11/3/09 at 4:12am
Quite honestly, I couldn't care less LOL. I have absolutely no interest is seeing how much money shows are taking. I'm just interested in the shows themselves. But I appreciate that others find this of interest, so I can see no reason why the London figures should not be published as the New York ones are.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: London Grosses#3
Posted: 11/3/09 at 10:48am
Personally I'd find it (mildly) interesting, but I see no reason the producers should have to, and lots of reasons they wouldn't want to.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: London Grosses#4
Posted: 11/6/09 at 1:04pm
It's none of our business. Marks and Spencers don't releaser their monthly figures, why should theatres?

Problem is it creates speculation that one show did worse than last month, and that instantly in this day and age created rumours, problems and escalating chaos :)
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
holio
Swing
Swing
re: London Grosses#5
Posted: 11/6/09 at 6:18pm
I would quite to like London's annual figures.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: London Grosses#6
Posted: 11/6/09 at 6:54pm
I guess that is a No from Nick.

I don't think many people look at the grosses, perhaps people that work in the industry, theatre aficionados like us and perhaps students.

One good objective with New York grosses, it is good to go back and get information, like what was on when, I have used information from the said source to prepare/answer threads, London does not provide that kind of information, week in - week out.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: London Grosses#7
Posted: 11/7/09 at 7:33am
Just read the furore it causes on the Broadway board! lol
Anyone working in the West End will know the grosses of shows if they need to.
Updated On: 11/7/09 at 07:33 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: London Grosses#8
Posted: 11/11/09 at 12:01pm
I do not work in theatre, so do not have a clue of what grosses are like.

But grosses aren't just handy to see this weeks grosses, which captivates me for 2 minutes!!!

But I like to use grosses to do research such as;

Look at seasonal variations and see how this has an impact.

See how much a cast change affects the box office, looking at the figures for a show such as La Cage aux Folles, be interesting how much of a draw John Barrowman would be over Douglas Hodge or how much Michael Ball's or Rowan Atkinson's departures affected there respective shows.

I also find grosses, to see how a London performance, would rival New York, e.g. for shows like Wicked or Phantom etc.

I have scrolled back in the New York grosses to find out when a particular show was on, what theatre, when it closed, so can be a good theatre history database.

When I look at grosses I like to see how well a show has done rather than, how bad it has done. It delights me to see Billy Elliot is a sell out in New York.

Does anyone else use New York grosses for other reasons, other than to see how well a show done this week?
andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: London Grosses#9
Posted: 11/12/09 at 3:27am
Other than for people to be nosey, Im not sure what the point of this is. The production companies surely release their annual accounts, as per any PLC? Like you say, I cant see one reason why releasing grosses benefits a company, unless they are the top show in town.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: London Grosses#10
Posted: 11/12/09 at 3:37am
Like I said, if you work in the West End its very easy to find out what's being taken around town